Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:53:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26
  Print  
Author Topic: Daytime Traffic on the TransWilts  (Read 232590 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #180 on: October 30, 2015, 07:24:02 »

... again surprised at the lack of taxis at Melksham Station

I can appreciate that the demand may not be high enough (yet) to warrant a taxi sitting to wait for a fare, but could a taxi phone not be provided or at least a board with some phone numbers?

........shouldn't be too difficult to hail down a passing horse and cart?  Wink

At Nailsea & Backwell station, there is one poster, up on the railings on platform 2, which does give some local travel connections information - including a number for a local private hire company.  There is no taxi rank, and indeed no room for one.  There is one public telephone kiosk (card payment only) at the foot of the pathway up to platform 1.  And we are a Great Western main line railway station.  Tongue

I suspect it's a generic issue at smaller and middle sized stations and even some larger ones where the predominant flow is regular commuters.   The horse and cart shortage lack of taxis waiting for "next fare" is understandable where the incoming services are sporadic, and with no guarantee (or near-guarantee) of a fare; for sure (taking the Melksham example) passenger numbers are up, but never the less:
* on "only" two of my four early evening arrivals this week were people standing around wondering "where are the taxis"
* on a third, the one group standing around looking lost had pre-ordered a taxi that hadn't yet arrived
* on the fourth, no takers for a taxi

Problem is
... anything more than a very occasional person stranded indicates a need for taxis
... anything less than a fare on the vast majority of speculative visits isn't commercial sense for the taxis

One of the notice boards does include three taxi numbers if you know where to look (which board, and where in the notice). Good for people who habitually travel by train, and are familiar with this signage standard.

An "enterprising" local taxi operator has "flyposted" the station with their stickers.  Not sure I approve, yet it does make a number more obvious.

And  there's no phone ... though most people have their own mobiles these days.  Cell reception is sporadic at times ... the WebTIS (?) system is often out and it's thought by us uninformed people that this is due to reception problems. I am relieved that the ticket machine doesn't appear to suffer the same problems.

I'm very much aware that my post - thus far - describes an issue without offering practical solutions / improvements - ideas would be welcome.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #181 on: October 30, 2015, 07:27:42 »

I'm very much aware that my post - thus far - describes an issue without offering practical solutions / improvements - ideas would be welcome.

........shouldn't be too difficult to hail down a passing horse and cart?  Wink

Does this mean you are in favour of dangling carrots in front of transport providers to ensure greater integration?...

Love it - YES - provided that it's a truly sustainable solution and doesn't solve the issue for a while, get  people using a service until it's decided to withdraw the carrots.

All groups would have been solved this week by the rail link bus, and all groups would have happily been fare paying passengers on it.  But what we have at the station is an unnerved bus stop with an unifying notice from Wiltshire Council blaming government for ending funding of a much-used service, when we're all supposed to be working together for total transport.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2015, 07:33:31 »

But what we have at the station is an unnerved bus stop with an unifying notice from Wiltshire Council

Ruddy smell checker ...   "unserved" bus stop.   "Un-edifying"notice!

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 30, 2015, 12:28:21 »

Given the time it took to get a landline connection for the TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) I wouldn't see a taxi phone being installed anytime soon.

They don't do party lines anymore!   Grin
John R

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 03, 2015, 22:08:58 »

1736 from Swindon.  Around a full train (75) from Swindon to Chippenham with the few spare seats offset by a similar number of standees.  A few more between Chippenham and Melksham - would estimate around 85 in total.

A somewhat bizarre and concerning incident on the first leg - a man dressed exactly as Dennis the Menace (and with hair to match) started pacing up and down the unit from end to end, first slowly, and then quicker and in a more agitated manner. He then stopped half way and started shaking out the contents of his plastic bag (toiletries and chocolate amongst other things) in the aisle. He then continued running up and down the train for several more minutes before one by one opening all the windows down one side as the train approached Chippenham. (Not surprisingly, when passengers realised what he was doing they opened the windows before he arrived, to prevent him leaning over them, and in some cases leaning on them.)

By this time the guard had been summoned from the back cab by concerned passengers, but I overhead him say "It's ok, he's got a ticket".  Angry To be fair I think he wanted to avoid a confrontation as the train was by then only a couple of minutes away from Chippenham, where support would be on hand.  As we arrived the man finished opening the windows, left the train and up the steps, before anyone could stop him, leaving a train of somewhat perplexed passengers, and his debris in the aisle.

It's when he started emptying his bag that I suspect many of us started having misgivings as to what was going on. Thankfully it wasn't sinister, but what was interesting was that nobody (myself included) stopped him or took him to task. I certainly didn't want to start a confrontation with someone appearing to be (to put it mildly) acting irrationally.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 03, 2015, 22:16:17 »

That explains a conversation I heard between a passenger and the guard at Trowbridge where I boarded.  I also noticed it took a minute for all the passengers to alight at Trowbridge.

It seems the 153 which works that service is no longer swapped out for a new one for the 18:35 return working.  The 18:35 train was noticeably "dirty" with discarded Metro newspapers as well as lager cans, sandwich wrappers and other detritus having plied the TW all day. 
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 04, 2015, 07:14:49 »

Strange looking man..... Boarding the 17:36 from Swindon..... Walking up and down the unit..... Acting suspiciously....
I really did think this story was leading to a certain grahame, up until the part where the man didn't exit the train at Melksham  Roll Eyes
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #187 on: November 04, 2015, 08:29:43 »

Strange looking man..... Boarding the 17:36 from Swindon..... Walking up and down the unit..... Acting suspiciously....
I really did think this story was leading to a certain grahame, up until the part where the man didn't exit the train at Melksham  Roll Eyes

And on a very serious note - "Many a true work spoken in jest".   We're very much aware for / amongst our volunteers (as well as me personally) to act in an appropriate manner ... in fact part of our briefings are to remind our team ...

Knew it wasn't me that had been observed when John R mentioned chocolate.  Never carry the stuff / can't eat it.

phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #188 on: November 04, 2015, 09:46:15 »

That explains a conversation I heard between a passenger and the guard at Trowbridge where I boarded.  I also noticed it took a minute for all the passengers to alight at Trowbridge.

It seems the 153 which works that service is no longer swapped out for a new one for the 18:35 return working.  The 18:35 train was noticeably "dirty" with discarded Metro newspapers as well as lager cans, sandwich wrappers and other detritus having plied the TW all day. 

Never has been booked to be swapped out at 18 35.   People seemed to get that impression because it might have happened on a couple of occasions for some reason.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 04, 2015, 20:23:10 »

Knew it wasn't me that had been observed when John R mentioned chocolate.  Never carry the stuff / can't eat it.

This bit of earth shattering news from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) won't worry you then....

Cadbury has upset some fans of its Fruit and Nut bar by adding sultanas to the recipe as well as raisins.

After 90 years in production, the firm said sultanas had been included "to add more variation" and "ensure it's still an affordable treat".

But some chocoholics accused Cadbury of putting cost - sultanas are cheaper than raisins - ahead of taste.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #190 on: November 07, 2015, 09:03:26 »

A really grotty day (Saturday) weather wise, and all the football teams playing at distant grounds, trains running a bit different to normal as Wilts and Berks services diverted via TransWilts..  08:37 at Melksham (to Swindon) +5, -1 -> 28 .. 29/6

Phil
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 07, 2015, 10:17:29 »

all the football teams playing at distant grounds

Que? Melksham Town are at home in a local derby with Bradford (on Avon)
John R

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 07, 2015, 10:33:10 »

http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/Lincoln-trains-overcrowded-services-allocated-new/story-28115060-detail/story.html?

Not from our area, but reference to 169 people alighting from a Class 153 commuter service recently.   Shocked  So looks like the 1736 has some way to go before it can truly be described as full. 
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 07, 2015, 10:52:16 »

Hopefully both spectators and the dog will manage to keep dry  Smiley

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 07, 2015, 11:23:34 »

Isn't a derby "local" by definition?  Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 26
  Print  

Jump to: