I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 20:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
- Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Woman found murdered on Orpington to London train (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 21:02:39 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday HST to Weymouth  (Read 93972 times)
sprinterguard

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2014, 00:34:14 »

Yes, the buffet is open and crewed in each direction.

All opinions are my own.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2014, 06:00:14 »

Worked by 150921 yesterday due shortage of HSS (High Speed Services) drivers,   Don't know what loadings were like.
150921 3-Car?
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2014, 10:18:08 »

Yes.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2014, 16:44:27 »

Well I guess that would have probably done the job on this occasion as the weather wasn't overly scorchio on Saturday. Might have been a bit cosy on board after Yeovil and a bit of disappointment when a 150 instead of an HST (High Speed Train) came around the corner.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2014, 06:33:58 »

Yes, the buffet is open and crewed in each direction.

Thanks Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
The Grecian

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 05, 2015, 21:03:29 »

Interesting to see the 'Weymouth Wizard' is back this summer - clearly it was felt the HST (High Speed Train) was sufficiently successful to run it again.

https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/-/media/pdf/ticketsandtraintimes/traintimes/may%202015%20tt/gw1505c03web47243800.pdf?la=en

Be interesting to see whether during the Bathampton blockade in August the HST runs from Westbury or is replaced with 1 or more 15xs. Based on observation the biggest flows to Weymouth are from Trowbridge, Westbury, Frome and Yeovil (and the alcohol ban on the 2021 return seems to be for the 'benefit' of the denizens of the first and last named towns!), so the blockade may have some impact.

Disappointing to see it's still timed for 40mph between Yeovil and Dorchester (when I travelled on it last year the info screens confirmed it didn't exceed this speed). I hoped when the line was closed at the weekends earlier in the year it would allow the HSTs to travel at the maximum linespeed (varying from 45-75). It could conceivably knock 10-15 minutes off each journey. The speed boards don't indicate differential limits anyway other than a very short stretch south of Maiden Newton, but it seems the HSTs are limited to 40mph anyway.
Southernman

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 05, 2015, 21:33:29 »

Understand this HST (High Speed Train) will start from Bristol and run to Weymouth via Swindon. Remainder of service runs Westbury to Weymouth only.
InTheSidings

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 26, 2015, 13:20:06 »

I was planning to use the HST (High Speed Train) service for a day trip to Weymouth tomorrow (Saturday 27 June).

Casually checking the times on the RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) site, I noticed the service for tomorrow is shown as being a Class 158.

I've further checked with FGW (First Great Western) Customer Services who indicated HST resources would be reallocated to Glastonbury traffic for this weekend, with the HST service returning the following Saturday (4 July).

So possibly of interest to anyone thinking of travelling, although I cannot guarantee the accuracy of this information, it appears no HST from BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) to Weymouth and return tomorrow with the service operated instead by a Class 158.   
Louis94

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2015, 15:32:47 »

I've further checked with FGW (First Great Western) Customer Services who indicated HST (High Speed Train) resources would be reallocated to Glastonbury traffic for this weekend, with the HST service returning the following Saturday (4 July).

Everyone keeps mentioning Glastonbury, but there isn't actually any extra services on the Saturday, leading to my opinion of the reason for the HST being taken off the Weymouth service being because of the closure between Cardiff and Newport - limiting the amount of HSTs that can come in from Landore depot in Swansea.
InTheSidings

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2015, 17:41:07 »

Possibly you're right. I'm in no position to say - rather, I was merely repeating what FGW (First Great Western) CS told me when I enquired earlier today.

This wasn't really the point of my original post in any case.  Smiley
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 18:56:13 by InTheSidings » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2015, 18:59:21 »

I hope I'm excused for adding a further flippant comment on a Friday afternoon ...

One of the issues at the weekend with leisure loadings to the seaside is that they vary a very great deal based on the weather - sunny day and the trains are packed - wet day and a 2 or 3 car train will do where an 8 car was needed the weekend before.

You can never be sure of the weather .. except ... it ALWAYS rains on Glastonbury weekend, and on that basis a 158's all that's needed ;-)

Welcome to the forum, InTheSidings!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2015, 19:18:26 »

Weather looks great for a day at the seaside tomorrow.
InTheSidings

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 08, 2015, 11:43:16 »

Having binned a previous trip to Weymouth on 27 June, when the HST (High Speed Train) didn't run, I was planning to travel on Saturday 11 July, but I'm wondering whether this service would run on this particular day as an HST, or even at all, owing to ongoing FGW (First Great Western) industrial action.

I understand the core period of action will have passed by then, but noting there's an overtime ban on the Saturday, I'm wondering whether this would be an "overtime" roster for HST drivers away from their normal mainline rosters, hence my thinking.

Grateful for any thoughts / knowledge please.  Appreciate it might be just a case of "wait and see".  Smiley
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 21:28:24 by InTheSidings » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 08, 2015, 16:28:32 »

I think it will be case of wait and see but a strong chance it will be one of the trains that gets cancelled this weekend. Availability of a driver shouldn't be a problem, it's availability of a guard due to overtime and the set used not being in the right place due to diagram changes Thursday and Friday.

Could be wrong and it runs as normal.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 08, 2015, 18:24:35 »

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: