Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 18:08:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Saturday HST to Weymouth  (Read 94124 times)
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2015, 09:54:13 »

Is it an HST (High Speed Train) today?  I'm just off to Maiden Newton in expectation!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 11, 2015, 23:41:09 »

I fear you were disappointed Phil.

I saw a post on Facebook this morning that said it was five car 158+150.

I was aware of this thread and had intended to post the info, but lost signal on phone while stuck in traffic near Yeovilton. Then I got completely sidetracked by a Vulcan, Sea Vixen, Red Arrows, Spitfires, Apaches, Hueys, the Vulcan again, Rafeles, Super Etendards and a Typhoon.

Sorry.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 23:49:26 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #62 on: July 11, 2015, 23:53:21 »

Being distracted by Spitfires is an acceptable excuse, in my opinion.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 12, 2015, 06:21:21 »

I ended up stuck in traffic at Chideock on the A35 and would have missed it in any case, so am rather thankful it didn't run Smiley

Better luck next weekend as I have tickets for a family day out in Weymouth, returning on the HST (High Speed Train)   
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2015, 14:10:17 »

Being distracted by Spitfires is an acceptable excuse, in my opinion.  Wink

Without wishing to divert this thread unduly, there is a Battle of Britain flypast due over Swindon in September and an HST (High Speed Train) power car due to be named after a Battle of Britain pilot who is buried in the town.
PhilWakely
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 01, 2015, 08:41:37 »

Not good start for the Wizard today! Well done to the TM(resolve) and her team for spotting the long swing link bogeys in the rostered set and swapping so quickly with another set meaning just a 5 minute delay. And just for info bobm and grahame - first class NOT declassified.  Sad
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 01, 2015, 08:59:43 »

And just for info bobm and grahame - first class NOT declassified.  Sad

That's interesting, I wonder what first class fare they would charge.  As far as I am aware the only first class fare from Swindon is "Via Reading".  Standard class has the "Via Yeovil" option.

There is the Weekend First upgrade, so I guess they would sell the Standard "Via Yeovil" and the ^10 upgrade.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 01, 2015, 11:03:45 »

They really shouldn't be charging any extra in 1st Class. The service is shown in timetables as Standard Class Only.

Something worth doing for future Saturdays this month if FGW (First Great Western) are insistent that the service is not declassified and you wish to sit in the posh seats. Buy your Day Return from Bristol if you are travelling from Chippenham and Swindon. Yes, the Standard Class fare is ^1 more, but the Weekend 1st Upgrade is only ^5.

If you are travelling from Trowbridge, there is no Weekend First fare listed at all. So again, a ticket from Bristol may be best.

I can see FGW (and their usual apologist on this forum) arguing that because the service is diverted it passes through two Weekend First zones, so passengers from Bristol in August should pay ^10.00. Not that I believe there should be 1st Class supplements at all.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 14:43:17 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 01, 2015, 11:51:14 »

Not good start for the Wizard today! Well done to the TM(resolve) and her team for spotting the long swing link bogeys in the rostered set and swapping so quickly with another set meaning just a 5 minute delay.

Yup, only appears to have left BTM (Bristol Temple Meads (strictly, it should be BRI)) 2 minutes late with it's swapped set being the 08:10 to Bath which left just the 10 late. As you say good work from the onboard team, but once again bad planning from the people 'upstairs', this happened with the Waterloo diversions back in April didn't it?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 01, 2015, 11:57:17 »

As you say good work from the onboard team, but once again bad planning from the people 'upstairs', this happened with the Waterloo diversions back in April didn't it?

It did indeed. I was on the offending set with LSL(resolve) bogies. Apparently this was spotted by a member of the public as we passed through Westbury but it took some time for the message to get through to the train. We were eventually stopped at Andover and the service was terminated there.

http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=15602.0

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 01, 2015, 14:01:22 »

What was offered if you wanted to sit in First? The chance to upgrade with a Weekend First ticket?

I agree with BNM that because it's advertised as Standard class only First should be declassified, unless someone can point me to a ruling in the conditions of carriage that says otherwise.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #71 on: August 01, 2015, 14:21:00 »

A degree of confusion and mixed messages.   The highest authority I spoke to suggested "declassified".

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #72 on: August 05, 2015, 21:51:38 »

A degree of confusion and mixed messages.   The highest authority I spoke to suggested "declassified".

Very senior message from FGW (First Great Western) to me:

"I saw the Coffee Shop entry on First Class upgrades nobody should have been charged" ... if you were (any readers), please let me know and I'll get it corrected.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #73 on: August 05, 2015, 21:58:02 »

Thanks for that very welcome update, grahame - and thanks to First Great Western for providing that official confirmation.

I'll now mark this topic as a 'sticky' one, for the time being - simply to make sure as many of our readers as possible have the opportunity to read this latest news.

CfN.  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #74 on: August 05, 2015, 22:02:03 »

Lots to do in Weymouth ... via http://www.wellho.net/mouth/4513_Yesterday-Weymouth.html for pictures

Admiring old buildings
Amazing at the local artwork
Arriving at your destination
Being rowed in a boat
Breaking quietly from all the other activities
Burying your friend
Catching the Sun
Checking your messages
Chuckling as you watch others hunting for a parking space
Clicking pictures like this one
Climbing the steps
Crabbing in the harbour
Deciding what to do!!
Digging in the sand
Dreaming of buying a "fixer upper"
Eating fresh traditional Fish and Chips
Enjoying the Jurassic Coast
Exercising the dog (and the family)
Explaining what a shop sells to the children
Fearing the spider - for just a moment
Gazing at shops in the Old Brewery
Gorping at the birds
Having a beer at the town's oldest pub
Hearing (perhaps) about your future
Hiring a scooter to get around
Imagining how the Fort was many years ago
Journeying on a land train
Keeping an eye on the time
Leaning on the railings
Learning about the town's history
Leaving the train at the end of the day
Licking an ice cream
Looking out to sea
Observing at the Nature Reserve
Paddleboating and doing other things on the water
Planning your journey home
Playing "what if" at the Marina
Relaxing in the park
Riding the gallopers
Saving car parking charges
Seeing the craft workshops
Shopping
Shouting in support of Mr Punch
Sitting in the sun with a pint
Spending family time in the open air
Taking in the view
Trainspotting
Walking the old railway line trail
Watching the world go by
Wondering at some people's taste (or perhaps it's yours?)
Working out the best way up.

To give you a taste:

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
  Print  

Jump to: