Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:35 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:54:33 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Tin miners, their patron saint and an old bottle of beer - spot the connection!  (Read 4225 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: March 21, 2014, 01:32:29 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

100-year-old bottle of beer found at St Piran's church

The beer found in the bottle will be analysed to see what brew was used

A bottle of beer believed to be more than 100-years-old has been found at an ancient church in Cornwall.

The bottle, still containing some of the beer, was found at St Piran's Oratory, near Perranporth, which is believed to be among the oldest places of Christian worship in Britain.

St Piran is the patron saint of tin miners and the phrase 'drunk as a Perraner' also comes from the legend.

The beer will be analysed to see what brew was used.

A spokesman from St Austell Brewery said it was believed the bottle dated back to 1910 and was found in an "immaculate condition". He added the bottle also had a swastika logo on the cap, a popular brewing symbol at the time.

Archaeologist James Gossip said the bottle was believed to have been left in the sand by a worker in 1910 when the oratory was encased in a concrete structure in an attempt to protect it from the encroaching sand and waves.

The 6th Century remains of St Piran's Oratory are being uncovered in a major archaeological project by the St Piran Trust.

According to legend, St Piran was flung into the sea in the 6th Century by the kings of Ireland who were jealous of his healing powers. Despite having a millstone around his neck, he did not drown - but "floated" across the sea and landed in Cornwall.

Each year, St Piran's story is retold in a drama on the dunes near the oratory on the Sunday nearest to 5 March.

Tonnes of sand are being removed from the oratory site near Perranporth

I know that at least one of our members on the Coffee Shop forum used to be a tin miner, and he is partial to the occasional beer - so here's to St Piran!

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 18:20:32 »

I've been puzzling over this for  while.... Huh Go on, CfN, put us out of our misery!

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 20:05:58 »

Well the particular tin-mining member of the Coffee Shop forum I was referring to is Tony - see his own introduction, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=12414.0  Wink

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2014, 22:36:38 »

Sorry I'm late - I didn't see this first time out.

I've just realised - CfN is talking about me! I did work for a while in a tin mine, and am horrified to be reminded that this was 40 years ago!

I know Perranporth from that time - a traditional end to the working week at South Crofty for some of us was to pick up a number of crates from either Devenish Brewery or the St Austell-fuelled off licence in Redruth, and head for Perranporth. We would occupy a secluded bit of beach, and stay until the beer was gone, plus sobering time  - usually in time for a Sunday lunchtime session back in Redruth. We made little noise, caused no nuisance, and always cleared up before leaving, probably less from social conscience than concern for the deposit on the bottles. For the life of me, I can't remember what we ate during these jaunts.

Now, please!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2017, 14:14:54 »

What's it like to go down a disused 400-year-old tin mine?

South Crofty tin mine, near Camborne, is massive and was closed almost 20 years ago. But now a Canadian company, Strongbow, plans to open it back up.

The BBC's Environment Correspondent Claire Marshall went down to have a look.

Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2017, 14:59:20 »

Interesting! I didn't know tin miners had their own patron saint – is there one for each mineral or do others share St Barbara? Or maybe she's specific to coal miners? And that a swastika was used as a sign of brewers; I presume this means not as a brewer's logo but as a seal of quality. I do remember seeing swastikas in the tiled floor of Truro cathedral. Perhaps the Cornish, for some reason, were particularly keen on this symbol? Odd to see it in a specifically Christian setting though. A crucifix in a Hindu temple would, I think, be even odder!

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2017, 16:04:35 »

A crucifix in a Hindu temple would, I think, be even odder!

A very good - and Hindu - friend of mine had his new car blessed by the priest.  Imagine my surprise the next day when he picked me up on our shared lift club to work, when I found his car covered in hand-drawn swastikas. A very common and ancient Hindu symbol.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2017, 16:53:33 »

What's it like to go down a disused 400-year-old tin mine?

South Crofty tin mine, near Camborne, is massive and was closed almost 20 years ago. But now a Canadian company, Strongbow, plans to open it back up.

The BBC's Environment Correspondent Claire Marshall went down to have a look.

I knew it well when it wasn't disused! I didn't know they were going to mine cider down there. I watched the video - first thing I noticed was that the rails have been lifted. And as for the mine "slowly" flooding if the pumps are turned off, it took less than a month when it was first closed.

While I was clearing out my workshop prior to selling the house, I found my old helmet:

As I have time on my hands these days...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 17:10:01 by Four Track, Now! » Logged

Now, please!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2017, 18:06:56 »

A crucifix in a Hindu temple would, I think, be even odder!

A very good - and Hindu - friend of mine had his new car blessed by the priest.  Imagine my surprise the next day when he picked me up on our shared lift club to work, when I found his car covered in hand-drawn swastikas. A very common and ancient Hindu symbol.
From what I remember, the blessing of cars involves coconuts, guavas and garlands of flowers. I don't recall ever seeing a swastika on a car, as opposed to on a building, when I lived in Bangalore, but I think it's a more common symbol in north India. Ganesh on the dashboard of course.

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2017, 18:49:10 »

The swastika (a Sanskrit word) remains a spiritual symbol in Buddhism, Hinuism, and Jainism throughout the Indian subcontinent. Hitler appropriated it. If only he had gone for the smiley face instead.

We didn't use it down South Crofty, preferring a white cross on black (St Piran's flag), occasionally flanked by a pair of pasties rampant.

Now, please!
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2017, 20:11:46 »

While I was clearing out my workshop prior to selling the house, I found my old helmet:

As ageing miners, I find we become more attached to our old helmet as the years progress Cheesy. Vaal Reefs Gold Mine 4#,6# & 7#, 1986-1988.

Still bearing the stand-up scars of all those years.  I told my father, who worked a mile away from his house in Lancashire, that I travelled further to work than he did - vertically!

Damn comfortable as the heat, and my sweat, folded it to my head. Followed me into my railway volunteering work until I was told I couldn't wear it on leased Network Rail land as it inferred that I held their Personal Track Safety Certificate.  The new British blue one is so uncomfortable.

Oh the tales and adventures that hat and me have had ...
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 20:22:10 by Oxonhutch » Logged
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2017, 20:31:50 »

Plastic hats (if that is what it is) have a limited life IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).  So it may not be serviceable any more
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2017, 20:44:30 »

I am sure that its ticket has long expired, but just like old steam engines, it is quite capable of doing the job for which it was designed - and over-engineered.

It's an African hat - built to last! Proving it would, of course, cost more than a new cheap (and uncomfortable) hat.

At least on the mine, it was a necessary piece of safety equipment - as evidenced by the scars. On the modern railway, it is more of a uniform item. Chicken-Licken was always fearful of the sky falling on its head!
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2017, 20:53:51 »

Plastic hats (if that is what it is) have a limited life IIRC (if I recall/remember/read correctly).  So it may not be serviceable any more

In my case, it isn't just the hat that wouldn't be fit for purpose any more.

Now, please!
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2017, 14:20:14 »

Most PPE (including climbing & caving gear) is considered life expired after 10 years in ideal storage conditions, so out in the field you'd be looking at considerably less. A 30 year old hard hat is now certainly just a souvenir!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: