Foundation, Beatties of London (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:18 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 22:43:23 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[260] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[200] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[54] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[48] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[23] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[22] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • TrainWest model show 2015: April 11, 2015 - April 12, 2015
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 11th and 12th April 2015 - TrainWest Model Railway Show  (Read 15291 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: March 29, 2014, 18:27:32 »

The TrainWest Model Railway exhibition takes part in Melksham at Christie Miller Sports Centre - one of the largest venues in the area - on 12th and 13th April 2014.   See http://www.trainwest.org.uk

For the first time, the organiser are laying on a minibus shuttle from Melksham station as well as vintage buses from Chippenham Station.   It should be a great day out - with an opportunity to use the Melksham train one way and the vintage bus the other if you like.

One of my roles is to help promote use of the TransWilts service, and I've done so in this case by posting on Facebook.  Cheaky of me - can I ask members (and guests, moderator and admins) with a Facebook account to share the post please and help us reach a wider audience.   Thanks!

https://www.facebook.com/TransWilts/posts/490450234388357
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 14:34:49 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 19:27:36 »

Wow!  Something to look forward to!  Sorry grahame, I don't do Facebook or Twitter, but I'll post it on the Practical Caravan forum later on.  Pity there's no reduction in ticket price for seniors, she said, moan, moan.

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 19:28:52 »

Shared.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 19:34:41 »

Wow!  Something to look forward to!  Sorry grahame, I don't do Facebook or Twitter, but I'll post it on the Practical Caravan forum later on.  Pity there's no reduction in ticket price for seniors, she said, moan, moan.

Just for those who can, Cynthia ... the beauty of social media is that we each have our own reaches and know our own groups and with a genuinely interesting item it can reach all sorts of places.    No reduction for seniors, but as a local you can get a ticket in the tic in Melksham at 2 pounds less.

Shared.

Appreciated, thanks.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 20:17:25 »

May actually get along to it this year. I've heard there's now this improved, more user friendly, big train service to the station nearest the venue!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 21:09:51 »

May actually get along to it this year. I've heard there's now this improved, more user friendly, big train service to the station nearest the venue!

There has been a strange phenomenum in these parts - a coming together of local and central government, of mainstream political parties, of the rail industry and campaigners, of businesses and workers, of young and old, of faithed and unfaithed, of cynic and optimist, and of petrolhead and sustainable camps.  And between us (for I fit in there - somewhere) we have researched, analysed and developed the case for an appropriate user friendly big train service that actually runs when it will be used.   And we've actually got that service running.  The word "miracle" comes to mind, and so does the word "logical"!

Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2014, 19:00:27 »

Just for those who can, Cynthia ... the beauty of social media is that we each have our own reaches and know our own groups and with a genuinely interesting item it can reach all sorts of places.    No reduction for seniors, but as a local you can get a ticket in the tic in Melksham at 2 pounds less.

Oh, whoopy doo!  Thanks for that grahame.  I was wondering where I fitted in in terms of the
labelled 'types' in your list; my petrolhead hat is not quite the snug fit it once was, and I am trying hard to get the 'sustainability' label to stick.  Lots of people might think that because I'm still towing a caravan, that I should not be considering myself in the least bit conscientious about sustainability!  (It is only a very small caravan!)  Years ago I found a website that compared CO2 useage between different types of holiday.  Even then, happily, I did not have the biggest carbon footprint of all holidaymakers!  I note FGW (First Great Western) does a CO2 count for journeys on their website, but I haven't explored it in any great detail yet, perhaps fearing a negative result.

Edited to fix quote. bignosemac
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 19:24:49 by bignosemac » Logged

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2014, 16:47:41 »

From This Is Wiltshire:

Melksham road link for rail enthusiasts

Train enthusiasts can make tracks to Wiltshire^s biggest model railways exhibition in Melksham later this month.

A free minibus has been laid on to take visitors from the town^s station to the Trainwest exhibition at Christie Miller Sports Centre on the weekend of April 12 and 13.

The exhibition will feature 60 stands and 22 working model railway layouts, including the final appearance of the Dovey Valley Railway, which featured on The Two Ronnies on Christmas Day in 1983.

Admission costs ^8 on the day or ^6 with advance tickets, which are available from the Christie Miller Centre, Melksham Tourist Information Centre and Gas Cupboard Models in Trowbridge.

For further details visit www.trainwest.org.uk

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 14:33:32 »

TrainWest Model Railway Show, Christie Miller, Melksham.

Vintage bus connections from Chippenham and Melksham (09:50, 11:50, 13:50) Stations

http://www.trainwest.org.uk

Bentley Model Railway Group present the 2015 Trainwest Model Railway Exhibition at the Christie Miller Sports Centre, Bowerhill Industrial Estate, Melksham, Wiltshire, SN12 6QU, United Kingdom.

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 16:54:49 »

Shared with pleasure

@BNM I don't know if you have any interest in OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale) Gauge but I notice Hornby have released some new HST (High Speed Train) sets one of which looks very much like the graphic on your signature Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 17:56:19 »

I already have an original livery Hornby 00 HST (High Speed Train) set. From the late 1970's. Not in the best of nick and unboxed. But the last time I ran it a couple of years back it still worked. Sadly I don't have the space for a permanent layout. Trying to convince my brother in law to let me build a layout in his garage. Purely for the benefit of the nephews of course!  Tongue

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Alan Pettitt

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 19:57:32 »

Well I shared your Facebook post a couple of hours ago Graham, and have had a "like" from a friend in M^lyi, Hungary, so the word seems to be spreading quite well  Smiley
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 19:59:04 »

I already have an original livery Hornby 00 HST (High Speed Train) set. From the late 1970's. Not in the best of nick and unboxed. But the last time I ran it a couple of years back it still worked. Sadly I don't have the space for a permanent layout. Trying to convince my brother in law to let me build a layout in his garage. Purely for the benefit of the nephews of course!  Tongue

How very considerate of you BNM Smiley
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 22:25:22 »

Simply to avoid any possible confusion, I've removed the link to the 2014 diary dates in the Coffee Shop forum ... err, Diary.  Tongue

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 09:25:15 »

I can't find any reference to a minibus shuttle service on the Trainwest website. Does this mean only the vintage bus service is running?  In that case, as I am planning to come up from the far West, I will have to make sure that I catch the Melksham connection(s) that meet the vintage bus.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:53:51 by SandTEngineer » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: