No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
20:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 21:52:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[174] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[112] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[63] Where have I been?
[62] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[52] Death of another bus station?
[46] Penalty fares on Severn Beach Line

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir Moir Lockhead - First Group (merged topics)  (Read 32163 times)
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« on: February 20, 2007, 12:21:12 »

Interesting link for you.
http://news.independent.co.uk/business/analysis_and_features/article2278128.ece

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 17:32:13 »

It's nice to read just a little more (and it is slightly thin) about the man.  And they chose a day he visited Swindon.  Just a short ride would have brought him on to Melksham, but I notice there weren't any trains at all on that line during the time he was around.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
12hoursunday

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 20:50:26 »

Moir Lockhead, chief executive of FirstGroup, the world^s leading transport company, was last week (6 March) named as the Institute of Directors^ (IoD» (Institute of Directors - about)) Director of the Year.

http://www.firstgroup.com/corpfirst/newsreleases_more.php?id=277

John R

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 20:55:26 »

Make sure you read it carefully! "Moir Lackhead". Just about sums First Group. Can't even spell it's boss' name correctly.

Now then, who can think of a suitable definition for a Lackhead.  Grin
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 21:15:43 »

Make sure you read it carefully! "Moir Lackhead". Just about sums First Group. Can't even spell it's boss' name correctly.

Now then, who can think of a suitable definition for a Lackhead.  Grin
Oh dear that is very unfortunate.
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 21:42:58 »

Moir Lockhead, chief executive of FirstGroup, the world^s leading transport company, was last week (6 March) named as the Institute of Directors^ (IoD» (Institute of Directors - about)) Director of the Year.

http://www.firstgroup.com/corpfirst/newsreleases_more.php?id=277

Can I just say good on him for winning this award and he has done a stirling job in building up the Firstgroup empire over the years. However, I did find reading all those lovely warm words a little hard to swallow following all that has gone on with the FGW (First Great Western) franchise over the past year and half. You wouldn't think after reading this that the government are very close to pulling this franchise if targets are not met that have been laid down on the remedial notice issued a couple of weeks back.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 20:43:39 »

Well, funnily enough, it's been hastily corrected: see http://www.firstgroup.com/corpfirst/newsreleases_more.php?id=277 !

Grin Grin Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 16:21:11 »

I Work For FGW (First Great Western) blog post link.
http://www.iworkforfgw.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=112&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Vous devez être impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 23:02:07 »

FirstGroup, which operates bus and train services across Scotland

... and, on a good day, England, too ...  Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 23:03:49 »

Good for him though.

I think my notification got lost in the post so I didn't respond in time Wink Grin
Lee
Transport Scholar

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2008, 15:46:35 »

FirstGroup will celebrate its arrival as the world's biggest public transport combine in mixed fashion on Wednesday. Sir Moir Lockhead is due to check in with news of sharply increased profits but he has seen his share price crumple to new lows (link below.)
http://www.rmtbristol.org.uk/2008/11/firstgroups_us_exposure_proves.html#more

The half-year results will be the first to include a full contribution from the transformational acquisition of the US Laidlaw group in February last year and brokers expect to hear of a 40% lift in pre-tax profits to around ^105 million together with a double-digit rise in the dividend.

Even so, FirstGroup's shares were among those to miss out on last week's share-price rally, instead hitting new 2008 lows and falling to half the levels of a few months ago.

The share-price performance reflects concerns over the impact of the still comparatively strong dollar on debt levels and interest charges together with the potential loss of commuter rail traffic as a result of a recession.

At the present share price, the company has a stock-market value of only a little over ^2 billion, which compares with the $3.7bn paid for Laidlaw.

Terms of the acquisition translated into ^1.9 billion at the currency exchange rates at the time it was announced 20 months ago but have since ballooned to some ^2.3bn at a current rate of around $1.61 to the pound.

At the same time, brokers point out that the group also faces rising fuel costs despite falling prices elsewhere because the group failed to hedge against currency risks when it bought in its requirements for the next two years at oil prices between $76 a barrel and $111 a barrel.

Followers say Lockhead will dismiss the concerns this week and will point out that the increased costs are more than balanced by the extra value of dollar earnings from Laidlaw's school buses and the Greyhound coaches operation.

He is also expected to reassure investors that the group has made good progress in refinancing a $2.25bn loan facility that was due to be repaid by February 2010.

The group has already rearranged some $1.45bn of this debt, including last month's ^300m bond issue, and a further financing deal is believed to be imminent.

Most brokers say the debt will be paid back out of cash flow over the next three or four years although interest charges this year are likely to almost double to around ^160m and will work out at a minimum of ^75m at the half-year stage.

Before deducting these costs and exceptional charges, Damian Brewer at JP Morgan expects the group to achieve a 65% lift in operating profits to around ^180m for the opening six months of the year.

Almost half the money should be earned from US buses where Greyhound is expected to turn in a particularly strong performance over the summer months as a result of increasing business from hard-pressed motorists.

And the American contribution should be still more significant in the second half as the group cashes in on the school bus contract season. Brewer expects the US to chip in with ^275m out of total operating profits of ^503m at the full year.

UK (United Kingdom) buses and rail are also expected to show good growth at the half-year stage although some analysts have been trimming back future forecasts for the rail side on concern that growth could falter if there is a sharp increase in unemployment.

They point out that roughly 10% of FirstGroup's rail revenue comes from London commuters, who are likely to be particularly hard hit by the financial recession.

Despite their reservations, no fewer than eight out of 10 analysts polled by the Digital Look news service believe the share-price fall has been overdone and say the shares are worth buying at current levels.

Their average forecasts predict a profits rise from last year's ^242m to at least ^340m in the current financial year with a further increase to around ^366m predicted for 2010.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2008, 20:28:08 »

From the Aberdeen Press and Journal:

Sir Moir, knight of road ^ and rail

The businessman who led Aberdeen-based transport operator FirstGroup to become a world leader was knighted yesterday by the Prince of Wales.

Moir Lockhead was recognised at Buckingham Palace for his services to transport.

FirstGroup chief executive Sir Moir, 63, said later: ^It is a great honour for me and I was extremely proud that my family joined me at today^s ceremony. FirstGroup has come a long way in a short time to become the leading transport operator in the UK (United Kingdom) and North America."

For the full article, see http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/982249?UserKey=

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2009, 18:42:06 »

From the London Evening Standard:

FirstGroup, which runs First Great Western Trains as well as lots of London buses, has slashed its chief executive's pay by a fifth after profits fell 21% last year.

Sir Moir Lockhead's total pay package dropped from just over ^1 million to ^802,000 but his pension pot was boosted by almost ^2 million to ^7.33 million, giving him a potential pension of ^313,000 a year.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2009, 20:28:22 »

Quite right too, as I suspect that many of the companies employees will not be getting a pay award at all this year and some will may well be loosing their jobs

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
smithy

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2009, 23:00:06 »

Quite right too, as I suspect that many of the companies employees will not be getting a pay award at all this year and some will may well be loosing their jobs

west drivers the exception to that 18% offer on table.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: