Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
12:35 Barnstaple to Exeter Central
13:12 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
14:14 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 13:50:17 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[184] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[110] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[101] Okehampton
[55] Our first Interrail tour
[38] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[35] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Sir Moir Lockhead - First Group (merged topics)  (Read 31766 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2010, 09:16:24 »

A well deserved rest. FirstGroup is where it is thanks to him.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 22, 2010, 10:25:25 »

Is it really only 15 years since FirstBus (as was) was formed? Very impressive growth since then.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
inspector_blakey

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 22, 2010, 15:16:17 »

Looks like they've found a very high quality replacement - from what I can gather anecdotally it would seem that Tim O'Toole is thought of quite highly on the strength of his time at LUL (London Underground Ltd).
andrewr

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: September 22, 2010, 16:00:30 »

Tim O'Toole is a very good operator indeed, and is highly thought of in the UK (United Kingdom), in Europe and in North America, which encompasses First's operations very nicely. While I was working on International Railway Journal it was telling how he was one of the few UK rail and metro bosses that was routinely mentioned by his European counterparts, and I think that's a good omen.

If Tim O'Toole has a free rein at First Group then there's every chance we've a lot to look forward to with FGW (First Great Western), but given the spending review, possible reform of Network Rail etc, there's a lot up in the air...

Andy
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2010, 23:09:53 »

Purely in the interests of continuity, I've merged a few topics here ... while keeping the original headings in the individual posts - as far as possible, obviously.  Lips sealed

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2010, 23:31:22 »

Lockjaw worked with a private company using private funds.
As fare as im aware O'Toole has only ever worked for state owned companies or companies financed by public  funds.

Good idea ... I came to the thread thinking that there might be another name in the sequence "Alison Forster, Andrew Haines, Mark Hopwood ...."
What Happened to Mike Carroll and  Chris Kitchen-Smith??
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 00:46:39 by SDS pad » Logged

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2010, 00:08:03 »

Is Mike Carroll not still a director with responsibility for the Thames Valley sector?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: September 24, 2010, 10:02:43 »

Not listed any longer on their website - and no sightings at Customer Panel meetings either....I fear you're out of date...
woody

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2010, 10:03:36 »

The latest "Railnews Focus" September, 2010 reports some interesting remarks by the chief Executive of FirstGroup, Moir Lockhead,speaking at FirstGroup^s Aberdeen HQ (Headquarters) in an informal briefing.Among other comments he says that the present level of expenditure on the railways is unsustainable and sounded a warning that not every train service can be regarded as ringfenced, regardless of its cost
 Interestingly from FGWs (First Great Western) point of view he also conceded that First had gone too far on Great Western with highdensity Mk3s and an attempt to abolish buffet cars on medium-distance journeys.(An admission that the FGW high density HST (High Speed Train) refurbs are not really suited to longer journeys).
On Franchising he says that ^First will bid for East Coast when it comes to the market again." as well as other contracts such as West Coast and East Anglia and of course Scotrail when the present contract comes to an end.

Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2010, 10:27:45 »

Interestingly from FGWs (First Great Western) point of view he also conceded that First had gone too far on Great Western with highdensity Mk3s and an attempt to abolish buffet cars on medium-distance journeys.(An admission that the FGW high density HST (High Speed Train) refurbs are not really suited to longer journeys).
Well that's something that can easily be put right if they wanted to by adding a few more tables in std.

According to Tony Miles in October's edition of Modern Railways, FGW are looking at converting spare buffet cars into std trailers making 2+7s back into 2+8s. This just goes to show what a waste of money adding a buffet serving hatch on some std trailers was when all they needed to do was what GNER (Great North Eastern Railways) did with their class 91 fleet and reverse the buffet trailer around and change the 1st seating into std. OK not as much seating as a full length coach but a much cheaper option.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2010, 12:35:48 »

But FGWs (First Great Western) franchise commitment was to increase HST (High Speed Train) seating by 10%....would simply turning said buffets around have achieved this? I doubt it.

Removing the buffets also saved a lot of (expensive) fuel. The cost of putting high-density seating in was a cost of winning the franchise - i.e. unavoidable. So in the long run, they're currently up on saving money.

I believe you're right over bringing the buffets back - there may be some luggage space involved because I doubt they'll reconvert the mini-buffets back to seating...just replace the 1st seating as suggested elsewhere and include some luggage space, as putting windows in the coach casings might be impossible, hence seating the buffet area is difficult.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 15:01:08 »

From Rail.co:

FirstGroup name train after Sir Moir Lockhead

Sir Moir Lockhead, former Chief Executive of FirstGroup, was left astounded today after a ScotRail train was named in his honour to mark his achievements after 22 years at the helm of the Aberdeen-based transport operator.

Sir Moir had just attended another train naming at Glasgow Queen Street Station when directed to another platform where, to his complete surprise, he unveiled a train bearing the title ^Sir Moir Lockhead OBE^.

Initially lost for words, he then paid tribute to the quality of staff throughout his time as Chief Executive and said he was both surprised and delighted to receive such a public tribute.

Sir Moir, his wife, Lady Audrey Lockhead, and guests boarded the ^Sir Moir Lockhead OBE^, Class 170 train for afternoon tea and a return trip to Stirling.

Hmm. I'm not sure quite why he was 'left astounded' and 'initially lost for words': it wasn't the first time (if you'll pardon the pun!) that he has been so honoured. I took a couple of photos of FGW (First Great Western) power car 43160 at Bristol Temple Meads back in January:

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 15:24:59 »

Errr, and using both "Sir" and "OBE" is incorrect usage of the (same) honour - Ordervof the British Empire. Sir indicates the senior Knight Commander, the OBE is the second lowest level, above MBE.

Having been 'promoted' from one level to another, one should just use the most senior level awarded.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 17:20:05 »

However, Moir Lockhead OBE received his Knighthood in the 2008 Honours List as a Knight Bachelor, not as a Knight of the Order of the British Empire, so he is entitled to use both the 'Sir' and 'OBE'.

From Debretts:

Knighthood does not affect the use of letters already borne, eg if Mr John Brown, CB, CVO, OBE, is created a Knight Bachelor, he becomes Sir John Brown, CB, CVO, OBE.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #44 on: March 26, 2011, 17:41:50 »

OK, thanks - he's a KB, not a KBE.....
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: