Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
Additional 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 21:56:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[320] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[117] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[63] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[61] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[57] Okehampton
[45] First tour train of season

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Fares from Frome to the West  (Read 9102 times)
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: March 21, 2014, 13:42:27 »

Can the ticketing experts please advise why there is (apparently) no legitimate return fare from Frome to Taunton via Westbury. Such tickets are available to points further west such as TVP or EXD» (Exeter St Davids - next trains).

Since it would normally be a commonly-used route, especially in earlier years, is this a new restriction with the new Routing Guide or has it existed since Noah was very young. After all surely some residents of Frome may occasionally wish to visit (at a convenient time) the Somerset County Town albeit located on the other side of the County.

Thanks
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 14:21:33 »

Should a resident of Frome wish to visit Taunton the only tickets available require travel and changing via Castle Cary. A anytime return is ^20.40.

Via Westbury would fail the routing guide, due to the additional distance involved in travel.

An anytime from Frome to Westbury and the Westbury to Taunton with splits would be

Frome to Westbury ^4.20
Westbury to Taunton ^24.00

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 19:13:33 »

Frome - Taunton returns are accepted via Westbury Smiley

Whilst it may fail the routing guide, RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) have accepted tickets as there are some journeys Frome - Taunton that are possible via Westbury but not Castle Cary Smiley

Grin Grin Grin Grin
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 23:19:01 »

Frome - Taunton returns are accepted via Westbury Smiley

Whilst it may fail the routing guide, RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) have accepted tickets as there are some journeys Frome - Taunton that are possible via Westbury but not Castle Cary Smiley

I do believe there is a local instruction, (not easement as ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) would get its nickers in a twist).

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 00:23:36 »

I do believe there is a local instruction, (not easement as ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) would get its nickers in a twist).

From the past 6 years, I have only ever had a problem once using said route. This was on a diverted South West Trains service. Later in the journey the guard returned to apologise as he said the ticket had "Any Permitted" written on it so I was using it correctly.

I agree, whilst it's not specified in the Routeing Guide, it's one of those where when you explain your route/train times, common sense prevails Smiley Because of course, if you sit around at Cheltenham Spa Castle Cary station for 2 hours, you may just be asked to leave for loitering Tongue Lips sealed Embarrassed

Grin Grin Grin Grin
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 16:58:32 »

Thanks for the information to date. Nobody yet has answered the question as to why there ARE published fares from Frome to stations further West. I am sure BNM knows the answer but it is probably just one of those old anomalies.

Now the real question is - that should I wish to use the 08.02 FRO» (Frome - next trains)/08.25 WSB» (Westbury - next trains) to TAU» (Taunton - next trains) can I buy an Off Peak Return (Code WG). It would be preferable to do this on line so that I do not have to argue my case but there is no obvious way of doing so since there is no published fare available on National Rail or Mixing Deck sites. This fare is the same price from FRO or WSB.

Any further thoughts?
WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 17:09:22 »

Of course, I have just realised you can by this Off Peak Return ticket on-line perfectly easily. It is just that the journey option is not shown because it "is not a (formal) permitted route." This is in fact probably the only train where such a ticket is required since all later trains appear to allow the CDR (Off Peak Day Return [ticket type] (formerly 'Cheap Day')) (W4) price.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 17:35:25 »

Thanks for the information to date. Nobody yet has answered the question as to why there ARE published fares from Frome to stations further West. I am sure BNM knows the answer but it is probably just one of those old anomalies.

Now the real question is - that should I wish to use the 08.02 FRO» (Frome - next trains)/08.25 WSB» (Westbury - next trains) to TAU» (Taunton - next trains) can I buy an Off Peak Return (Code WG). It would be preferable to do this on line so that I do not have to argue my case but there is no obvious way of doing so since there is no published fare available on National Rail or Mixing Deck sites. This fare is the same price from FRO or WSB.

Any further thoughts?

The only answer I know is the one you've given. An anomaly.

You could ask FGW (First Great Western) if they will expressly permit what may well currently be a local instruction, by amending the Electronic Routeing Guide to include Taunton as a valid destination via Westbury using the 0802 from Frome. With Frome having such a poor service generally, it does make sense for the 0802 changing onto the 0825 at Westbury to be valid to Taunton, as it is for stations further west.

Without such an easement expressly permitting such a journey, anyone wishing to travel from Frome to Taunton can not do so before 0941 for a 1053 arrival, according to journey planners. That really is poor connectivity for two towns in the same county. Only those who interrogate the system further, as WSW Frome has, will find that the JP allows them to go to Tiverton and beyond, but not Taunton.

Whilst journey planners don't currently allow such a journey, I don't see there being any problem doing it. As SDS says, there may well be local instruction, but if not, it would be very harsh on FGWs part to penalise someone travelling to Taunton via Westbury when it is perfectly legitimate for others to travel to Tiverton Parkway, Exeter and so on.

What also needs fixing for this journey, and the others further west, is the JP only offering the Anytime (SOS/SOR) fare from Frome via Westbury at 0802. You are connecting into an Off Peak (SVS/SVR) service leaving Westbury at 0825. That should be allowed according to the restriction code text. Potential overcharging there.

WSW, I suggest you raise these points with FGW. It may take some escalation before you get a decent answer - fares and their arcane restrictions are little studied by the average Customer Service bod! Let us know how you get on.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 17:54:31 »

How much extra is a Tiverton ticket? I would probably buy a Tiverton ticket and break my journey at Taunton to be safe without any written confirmation its acceptable to do the route on a Taunton ticket.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 18:11:46 »

An extra ^9.

Should folk have to pay a premium to be 'safe'?

Not something I'd suggest. You are, in effect, rewarding the TOCs (Train Operating Company) for their inability to have a fares system that is, er, fair.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 18:14:58 »

An extra ^9.

Should folk have to pay a premium to be 'safe'?

Not something I'd suggest. You are, in effect, rewarding the TOCs (Train Operating Company) for their inability to have a fares system that is, er, fair.

Fair enough, I didn't expect such a large difference in price to be honest. My commute is a similar distance to Taunton to Tiverton and its around ^4 return, or as part of a longer journey only ^1-2 difference between tickets with destination of the 2 stations. At those prices I would pay just to avoid the potential difficulties I would expect, but saying that FGW (First Great Western) staff are much more relaxed with ticketing than those found at other TOCs.

WSW Frome
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 11:09:46 »

Thanks for the comments but eventually I decided to travel to the West Somerset Railway Gala using the later options, especially as the return journey times to Frome are limited. Therefore I avoided any ticket anomalies and dutifully changed at Castle Cary which is not my normal preference.

The WSR Gala was something of an operating disaster yesterday. More problems than a TOC (Train Operating Company) on a bad day and poor customer information at least late in the day. I eventually resolved to bus back to Taunton in order to maintain my sanity and keep warm. I therefore only managed a slow single journey with my Rover ticket!

The experts (and I) all agree that travel via WSB» (Westbury - next trains) is never likely to be a problem. In fact ticket checks FRO» (Frome - next trains)-WSB (and v/v) are quite rare due to "operating" issues and most RPIs (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) will not know or care about this anomaly. The use of an SVR ticket on the 08.02/08.25 is a recent phenomena since the 08.25 is newer service and seems acceptable as the timing is not fully off peak. It would still be helpful to have the anomaly restriction for journeys to/from TAU» (Taunton - next trains) via WSB corrected as there are a number of (fast/acceptable) journey options to/from Frome involving WSB changes. An excellent example being the (very important) 12.55 PLY» (Plymouth - next trains) (at normal times).

Finally should anyone be worried about this restriction, split tickets at WSB would cure the problem but at an additional cost.     
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: