08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 12:37:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[100] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[79] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[78] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[64] Where was I today, 29.04.24?
[42] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[24] Clan Line - by Clan Line !

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Hedge fund manager in ^42,550 train fare dodge' - ongoing discussion  (Read 46247 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2014, 08:57:37 »

Either way for a 50 mile trip each way, we are looking at around 50p a mile, which is extortionate in my view.
The government want people out of cars onto public transport, yet the cost is uncompetitive,how can public transport be more expensive than a single person driving.

Sadly this is fairly standard during the peak in the South East.  E.g. Havant to London is 47p per mile for an anytime single.

You are absolutely right about the cost of driving.  It doesn't seem right that a more fuel efficient form of transport is actually costing the end user more to run.

The poverty stricken south east are obviously thought to be in need of subsidised fares paid for by the hugely wealthy south west. If you want a fare that is extortionate then an anytime single from Swindon is ^60.50 that's 78.5 pence per mile!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2014, 09:14:06 »

Yep - Fares into London from north of the Thames (incl GWML (Great Western Main Line)) are more pence per mile than those on the south side - go figure!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2014, 11:52:02 »

Either way for a 50 mile trip each way, we are looking at around 50p a mile, which is extortionate in my view.
The government want people out of cars onto public transport, yet the cost is uncompetitive,how can public transport be more expensive than a single person driving.

Sadly this is fairly standard during the peak in the South East.  E.g. Havant to London is 47p per mile for an anytime single.

You are absolutely right about the cost of driving.  It doesn't seem right that a more fuel efficient form of transport is actually costing the end user more to run.
Despite what they say, the main parties (Lab and Con, not sure about the Lib Dems) sadly don't actually seem to care about getting people out of cars onto public transport. You only have to look at all the bypass and extra lane schemes which would provide for and promote increased car use to realise that.

Going back to the railways, it isn't just about price though. Rail fares into London may be extortionate, but in London rail is still competitive against the car for reasons other than price. In many other areas though more needs to be done to ensure that the car becomes uncompetitive compared to the rail offering (whether on price or other factors).

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2014, 20:40:23 »

Southeastern state that all fare evaders have an opportunity to settle out of court. Therefore regardless of the amount involved treating equally comes to the front. I'm assuming there would be no way they'd get such a figure taking it to court, as they couldn't proof beyond reasonable doubt that he had been evading for 5 years, but an assumption based on the end of his previous ticket.

They probably should be thanking him for highlighting a flaw in their revenue protection, and I'd have a guess many more will get found doing the same thing.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2014, 20:51:29 »

Southeastern state that all fare evaders have an opportunity to settle out of court. Therefore regardless of the amount involved treating equally comes to the front. I'm assuming there would be no way they'd get such a figure taking it to court, as they couldn't proof beyond reasonable doubt that he had been evading for 5 years, but an assumption based on the end of his previous ticket.

They probably should be thanking him for highlighting a flaw in their revenue protection, and I'd have a guess many more will get found doing the same thing.

Yes but the flaw is that only a very rich person has the odd £42k to hand to settle the matter.  Therefore rich people get off and poor people end up in court!

Surely the answer is that the court should be empowered to require the TOC (Train Operating Company) to receive compensation.  That appears to be the reason SE chose to settle out of court - that way they got the cash not HM Treasury!
Cynthia

View Profile Email
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2014, 21:42:39 »

Despite what they say, the main parties (Lab and Con, not sure about the Lib Dems) sadly don't actually seem to care about getting people out of cars onto public transport. You only have to look at all the bypass and extra lane schemes which would provide for and promote increased car use to realise that.

[/quote]

Further announcements from the IPCC yesterday, featured on the news should provide further proof (if any were still needed) that the politicians really need to increase the amount of action taken to reduce carbon emissions if we are to avoid further climatic disasters.  Yet, as this quote  above shows, most parties still obviously consider it political suicide to even try to get us out of our cars and onto public transport.  Why does the treasury not subsidise public transport, to the extent other nations do???  It would be a start. 

Trying to break ones addiction to car travel is much harder than giving up ciggies!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2014, 21:59:21 »

I've got a hedge fund.

I'm saving up for a man to come and prune and pollard the one at the foot of the front garden.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2014, 22:00:46 »

Yes but the flaw is that only a very rich person has the odd ^42k to hand to settle the matter.  Therefore rich people get off and poor people end up in court!

Surely the answer is that the court should be empowered to require the TOC (Train Operating Company) to receive compensation.  That appears to be the reason SE chose to settle out of court - that way they got the cash not HM Treasury!

But in court he would have been fined nowhere near ^40k, as the court can only impose a percentage of weekly income. The TOC only had hard evidence of one occasion and maximum fine impossible by the court of ^1000, so Southeastern knew it was in their best interest to accept the settlement. The maximum fine imposable by a magistrate court is either ^5000 or 500% of weekly income whichever is lower. I see it unlikely to have ever made crown court.

Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2014, 01:16:31 »

It potentially could have reached the Crown Court, if Southeastern had sufficient evidence to prosecute him for fraud for the whole 5 year period. In reality Southeastern probably only had enough evidence to prosecute him for one of the two specific railway offences, and it's unlikely it have been for the whole 5 year period.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2014, 00:34:21 »

Firstly any type of deliberate fare evasion is unacceptable.

The mags court would only have been able to fine the guy up to a level 3 fine for each 'proven' offence. Now the way I read it, the only offence which could be proven under RRA1889 would be the day he got stopped. The rest would be circumstantial and not beyond reasonable doubt. Now SarfEastern prob could have dug out CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) and trawled through the 14 days buffer and then claimed the guy did the same thing, but again this would have been circumstantial.

Digging through the OysterCard records maybe would have dug up an interesting history of ^7.20 exit charges, but again the guy could have claimed on each occasion, oh sorry forgot to touch in at XYZ.  Cant prove otherwise.

The real reason the guy paid up I reckon, is because they didn't want the suspicion hanging over them. In the big city world even unproven allegations can break a career.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2014, 00:48:32 »

The real reason the guy paid up I reckon, is because they didn't want the suspicion hanging over them. In the big city world even unproven allegations can break a career.

... so why did (s)he even try it on in the first place?  Huh

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2014, 08:11:28 »

I'm sure a case could have been constructed if they had wanted to.

Did he work at X for that time? Fairly easy to substantiate.
Did he live at Y for that time? Again, relatively easy. (If he didn't where did he stay, and how could he prove it.)
He clearly didn't drive all the way, as the Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) touch outs prove that.
What evidence could be produce to prove how he did travel from home to work (and thus disprove the accused's view).
If need be, mobile phone evidence could be used to prove that his journey took him along train lines, not roads.
Did he send emails, make calls in the hour before arriving at work.

Yes, it may have cost more to prove, but the message would have been much better, and may in the long run have raised more revenue by discouraging fare dodgers. Instead the message is that if you get caught you can pay it back and get away with it.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2014, 09:17:34 »

Firstly any type of deliberate fare evasion is unacceptable.

The mags court would only have been able to fine the guy up to a level 3 fine for each 'proven' offence. Now the way I read it, the only offence which could be proven under RRA1889 would be the day he got stopped. The rest would be circumstantial and not beyond reasonable doubt. Now SarfEastern prob could have dug out CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) and trawled through the 14 days buffer and then claimed the guy did the same thing, but again this would have been circumstantial.

Digging through the OysterCard records maybe would have dug up an interesting history of ^7.20 exit charges, but again the guy could have claimed on each occasion, oh sorry forgot to touch in at XYZ.  Cant prove otherwise.

Am I right in believing a level 3 fine is 300% of weekly income?

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2014, 09:27:23 »

Innocent until *proven* guilty - each day that will apply.

The accused can remain silent & doesn't need to *prove* anything - just *disprove* only where *proof* has been supplied "beyond reasonable doubt".

And the magistrate would impose one fine, regardless of the number of days *proven*.
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2014, 16:20:47 »

Although nowadays if the accused chooses to remain silent the court is entitled to draw an adverse inference from that silence. It wouldn't be enough evidence to convict by itself but it adds to the weight of the evidence as a whole.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: