Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 25 Apr 2024
* Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 14:42:42 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Linked Events
  • Melksham Carnival: July 12, 2014
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 12th July 2014 / Melksham Carnival and Party in the Park  (Read 17178 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 20, 2014, 13:06:29 »

Put a note in your diary, and watch this space for further details.   A great day out for the family, and good fun if you're not bringing the family.   Plan to come by train this year and avoid the gridlock.  Trains all day for the first time!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 08:19:16 »

We're planning some great activities relating to the TransWilts and Rail before and during Carnival.

* If this date isn't in your diary yet, PUT IT THERE

* If you've not yet tried the new TransWilts service, THIS WILL BE THE DAY

* If you have already ridden the TransWilts this year PLEASE COME BACK!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2014, 08:03:53 »

Chance to ride the TransWilts ... "History of the Wilts Somerset and Weymouth" ... Railway Quiz ... walk in the Carnival processions and see the town.   Great day out in Wiltshire!

* Read all about it at http://atrebatia.info/twcrp_carnival.pdf

* Email me or message me to sign up

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 08:38:39 »

Bringing this to the "fore" again.    Slight change in the program - a couple of things have moved around to allow people coming by train to Melksham to arrive a little later.

http://atrebatia.info/twcrp_carnival.pdf

PLEASE COME TO MELKSHAM next Saturday.   Though I say so myself, the talk has some rather interesting stuff in it - some fascinating old timetables on display (and that's right across the FGW (First Great Western) are and indeed some old Bradshaws).   Arrival early or mid afternoon.   Delighted for people to walk in the carnival parade with us, understanding if they would prefer not to  Grin

We have some excellent TransWilts leaflets / timetables, kindly printed for us on this occasion by the Connecting Wiltshire team at Wiltshire Council, with whom we're working increasingly close. Much of the content thanks to First Great Western - truly a working together of local government, train operating company and community.  If you want to print your own, the leaflet is at http://atrebatia.info/TWR_A4L-Summer.pdf ... if you would like an original, come along next Saturday!

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 12:15:09 »

Could seriously do with some more walkers ... I appreciate it's a busy weekend for many, but if any of you are free  Grin  Grin ... there's a free T shirt and food in this and a great afternoon too!

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 13:25:07 »

Could seriously do with some more walkers ... I appreciate it's a busy weekend for many, but if any of you are free  Grin  Grin ... there's a free T shirt and food in this and a great afternoon too!

Thanks, grahame - and, with my apologies for the late reply, I can confirm that I will be able to join you on Saturday!

I shall iron my T-shirt especially for the occasion.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 11:00:02 »

Fantastic day and THANK YOU to those people who joined us.  Some pictures at and via https://www.facebook.com/TransWilts

Notably ... the majority of people at our train-promoting event arrived by train  Grin

John R

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 11:42:07 »

Sorry I couldn't be there, and glad it was a successful day. Having read the facebook entry, hopefully someone will post the figures for the 2002 (and maybe the inbound services), even though it probably won't be particularly representative of normal traffic volumes.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 11:57:36 »

hopefully someone will post the figures

Someone has - grahame, at http://www.wellho.net/mouth/4287_TransWilts-CRP-walking-in-Melksham-Carnival.html  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 17:47:34 »

Also from yesterday ... a FOSBR (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways) video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1IBh5xKWSk

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 19:52:43 »

Many thanks to FoSBR» (Friends of Suburban Bristol Railways - site) for that excellent summary of the fun we all had on the day.  Wink

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 20:26:02 »

Glad it went well. Looks like a good time was had by all. Sorry I missed it.

What's the date of next year's event - does it coincide with engineering work in connection with electrification?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 20:57:27 »

Glad it went well. Looks like a good time was had by all. Sorry I missed it.

What's the date of next year's event - does it coincide with engineering work in connection with electrification?

Fantastic time ... I have asked about next year ... and I expect I'll get a resounding "don't know yet / I've enjoyed doing it but never again" at the moment  Grin

Update - answer is "We will let you know when we have had our agm."   Next question (but they would probably feel I was taking the proverbial) is, of course "when is your AGM (Annual General Meeting)?"
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 22:24:29 by grahame » Logged

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 21:01:19 »

Notably ... the majority of people at our train-promoting event arrived by train  Grin

It would have been silly not to do so.  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 22:16:58 »

It would have been silly not to do so.  Tongue Roll Eyes Grin

Whilst I have to agree, I'm reminded of the story (urban or rather rural myth) about the group of councillors from a west country town who went to London to argue the case for their line to be saved from the Beeching Axe, and when asked how they had travelled admitted that they had gone by road.   They lost, it is said, their line.

Would that happen these days?  I went (as observer) to a meeting about First bus fares in Radstock on Friday evening last; the managers at First had been invited with a suggestion they come by bus.   To my knowledge, I am  the only one who went on the First bus, and I was certainly the only one to catch the final First bus back to Bath after the meeting - the other had left in their cars, or were gathering for a final photo opportunity when the bus pulled out ...

Now to be fair,  there wasn't a bus opportunity for people going to Chilcompton, etc, because of how late the meeting ended ... but !!not one!! onto the bus and the photo opportunity not taken with the bus either. 

Visit report:
http://www.wellho.net/mouth/4286_Reaction-in-Radstock-to-new-First-bus-prices.html
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 08:18:40 by grahame » Logged

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: