Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
15:05 Reading to Basingstoke
15:52 Basingstoke to Reading
Short Run
14:23 Exmouth to Paignton
Delayed
16:33 Reading to Basingstoke
17:19 Basingstoke to Reading
17:57 Reading to Basingstoke
18:37 Basingstoke to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 15:43:01 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[280] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[77] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[53] Cornish delays
[50] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[28] Where have I been?
[27] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Open top bus service 300 Lands End St Ives  (Read 40302 times)
Sleepy

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2014, 16:53:31 »

Roll Eyes Very disappointing to read this http://www.cornishman.co.uk/Delayed-return-service-west-Cornwall-s-300-open/story-20999238-detail/story.html
 - surely it would have been possible to run it at Easter and then say 3 days a week until May half term if Cornwall Council want to cut costs - concentrating the passengers may even have helped reach a break even situation ? So much for open for business.  Cornwall bus services appear to be returning to dark days of 1980' s.

Edit note: Broken link fixed. CfN.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 20:06:25 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 18:16:47 »

It's unfortunate that it didn't run this Easter as with the generally good weather I'm sure it would have been busy.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 18:40:28 »

Having travelled on it last year when it was so wet the water even leaked into the downstairs saloon, I would love to travel on it in decent weather.

I am surprised they didn't run it in connection with the bus enthusiasts' day they had in Penzance on Easter Day.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2014, 20:47:16 »

Having travelled on it last year when it was so wet the water even leaked into the downstairs saloon, I would love to travel on it in decent weather.

I am surprised they didn't run it in connection with the bus enthusiasts' day they had in Penzance on Easter Day.

L637SEU did. All journeys on the day were free of charge. I had a thoroughly enjoyable day out

L637SEU

My full set of pics from the day can be found here in my flickr album from the day.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/82289286@N06/sets/72157644187284803/with/13930554156/

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 07:10:01 »

From internal rumours, it seems the 300 will only be between Landsend and St Ives (& v.v).
Possibly the 17b will run from St Ives/Holiday village, Marazion, Pz & back; with additional 1/1a services.
All change at Landsend and St Ives.  No concession cards (or possibly reduced fare on concessions) on the actual 300.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
GBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 07:12:19 »

An additional rumour is for a Marazion to Mousehole Coastguard run via the Penzance sea front, not via the town centre.  That won't be a 300 of course.

Personal opinion only.  Writings not representative of any union, collective, management or employer. (Think that absolves me...........)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 08:26:31 »

From internal rumours, it seems the 300 will only be between Landsend and St Ives (& v.v).
Possibly the 17b will run from St Ives/Holiday village, Marazion, Pz & back; with additional 1/1a services.
All change at Landsend and St Ives.  No concession cards (or possibly reduced fare on concessions) on the actual 300.

From the latest issue of Notices & Proceedings

PH0004983/472 FIRST DEVON & CORNWALL LTD, THE RIDE, CHELSON MEADOW , PLYMOUTH PL9 7JT
To: St Ives
Via: St Just, Pendeen, Zennor
Name or No: 300
Service Type: Normal Stopping
Effective Date: 24-May-2014
End Date: 31-Aug-2014
Other Details: Daily until 31 August 2014.

PH0004983/170
FIRST DEVON & CORNWALL LTD, THE RIDE, CHELSON MEADOW ,
PLYMOUTH PL9 7JT
Operating between PENZANCE Bus Station and LANDS END given service
number 1/1A effective from 24-May-2014. To amend Timetable.
Sleepy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2014, 18:24:45 »

This year's timetable (until end Sept.) is now available on first group website under forthcoming timetables. The route will operate PNZ - SIV - St Just- Land's End as in recent years.
UPDATE the timetable has now been removed from website - recast of route now looks correct.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 11:08:21 by sleepy » Logged
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2014, 18:37:20 »

Its always been registered as two services
A Penzance to Lands End and Lands End to St Ives.
It is officially a connecting service at Lands End where the connecting bus is the one just arrived from the other route.
I believe this relates to the distance due to the EU» (European Union - about) restrictions on service bus route length.

Sleepy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2014, 18:46:12 »

Its always been registered as two services
A Penzance to Lands End and Lands End to St Ives.
It is officially a connecting service at Lands End where the connecting bus is the one just arrived from the other route.
I believe this relates to the distance due to the EU» (European Union - about) restrictions on service bus route length.
This would explain why the new timetable shows the route as split at St Ives, although perhaps this allows St Ives - Penzance section to be operated by non open top vehicle if they are short of stock ?
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2014, 20:40:39 »

Does anyone know (roughly) what the fares are like on this service?  I'm down in Penzance at the start of June with a Ride Cornwall ticket but want to do the trip to Lands End before 9am.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 21:07:08 »

Does anyone know (roughly) what the fares are like on this service?  I'm down in Penzance at the start of June with a Ride Cornwall ticket but want to do the trip to Lands End before 9am.

I've read somewhere the only fare available is the hop on off ticket at ^10. I can find no formal price structure,

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 21:06:44 »

An additional rumour is for a Marazion to Mousehole Coastguard run via the Penzance sea front, not via the town centre.  That won't be a 300 of course.

This is pretty much what L637SEU ran on the running day,

Seen this today in Penzance

Open Top bus axed from Penzance by Rich.W., on Flickr

chrisoates

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 22:48:48 »

Route is no longer listed at Firstgroup website.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2014, 07:05:00 »

Route is no longer listed at Firstgroup website.

It hasn't been listed all winter.

Looks like a false alarm by the media.

http://www.firstgroup.com/ukbus/devon_cornwall/journey_planning/service_300/

This says Penzance to lands end will be operated by route 1 which will also be open top. Almost certainly sounds like the renumbering is down to the 50km eu rules.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: