18:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:22 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
May 01, 2024, 22:03:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[85] Train drivers "overwhelmingly white middle aged men"
[75] Visiting the pub on the way home.
[56] Leven, Fife, Scotland, fast forward a month
[49] Vintage film - how valid are these issues today?
[48] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] [otd] 20.10.1979 - First meeting, Guild of Railway Artists

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: When will you sit, and when do you stand even if a seat is available?  (Voting closed: May 04, 2014, 08:02:06)
I will sit beside someone in a pair of seats - 54 (25.7%)
I will sit in the middle of a group of three - 29 (13.8%)
I will ask someone to move their bag so I can sit down - 58 (27.6%)
I will ask someone to move their under-5 child so I can sit down - 7 (3.3%)
I will sometimes wait for a later train so that I can be seated - 24 (11.4%)
I will sometimes stand even if there are seats unoccupied - 38 (18.1%)
Total Voters: 62

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Seating habits  (Read 10995 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: April 27, 2014, 08:02:06 »

I was struck by some statistics the other day reporting the TransWilts service as "full and standing" and yet the passenger count was around 10% below the number of seats that the train has.   And I know I don't always sit down in that last seat ...

To help me understand the metrics (and I'll admit more for academic interest than for any known consequential use of the data on this occasion) please tell me under which circumstances you would occupy a seat from the options given.   Let's make an assumption that you are travelling solo - I'm aware that most of us are more likely to sit beside someone we know ....

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2014, 08:24:32 »

A couple of other options I have encountered.

I will often ask someone sitting on an aisle seat if I can sit in the unoccupied window seat and, though not strictly relevant here, I will not always ask someone to move out of my reserved seat if there is similar accomodation nearby.

As for not asking someone to move their Under 5 from a seat, that is where self-preservation kicks in.  I'd rather not spend the rest of the journey sitting next to a fractious child and their even more fractious parent trying to pacify them!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2014, 08:29:06 »

/Pedant alert/

You may only select up to 6 options.

This makes me immediately want to select 7! Oh I can't - damn!
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2014, 08:35:08 »

I will sometimes wait for a later train so that I can be seated

I didn't initially select this one, but then I recalled a memorable occasion when I did.  The train I got off at Paddington was involved in an incident when the fuel tank fell off and caught fire. When some of the passengers got out of the train a person was killed by a passing train.  The safety notices on HSTs (High Speed Train) today were the result.  Of course my following train was heavily delayed and arrived at Swindon at about 1:00 am rather than 21:00.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2014, 09:07:46 »

/Pedant alert/

<excuse>We are limited by what the software we're running offers and how it says things.  Not really worth my while pouring in huge amounts of time to fix as "yous all knows what it means"</excuse>

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2014, 09:28:31 »

I will often ask someone sitting on an aisle seat if I can sit in the unoccupied window seat ...

That will probably be thetrout ...  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2014, 09:33:02 »

I will often ask someone sitting on an aisle seat if I can sit in the unoccupied window seat ...

nah... he's lording it up in Coach H!  Grin
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2014, 10:45:52 »

I once had to ask someone to move their child so I could take my seat - on a flight from Heathrow to Cagliari. It was ghastly! The child was uncomfortable, its parent was uncomfortable; fortunately when the vomit started flying none of it hit me (it's bad enough when your own child throws up on you...).

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2014, 18:29:11 »

BMI calculations determine that I am almost obese. I don't think I am particularly wide but I do have a beer belly at the front. I dislike sitting in the middle or window seat in the row of 3 on a turbo. I find those seats very cramped and uncomfortable. I normally only sit there if the other occupants are not taking up much space themselves. I often used to avoid the rush hour crush by popping into the Mad Bishop at Paddington for a bit. Probably where my belly came from.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2014, 18:30:22 »

It looks like my comments previous have been taken on board... Grin

For the record my personal preferences/habits are thus:

• 1) I will always sit on an Aisle Seat or Individual Seat (latter is rare, depends on my mood of the day) Roll Eyes
  • 2) If I cannot get an Aisle Seat or 'flip down' seat in the Vestibule I will stand or perch on the luggage rack
  • 3) If standing is not an option (i.e. Medical) Then I will seek the conductor/TM(resolve) out if possible to explain the reasons for a seat OR ask someone nicely if they wouldn't mind freeing a priority needs seat

Number three on that list is exceedingly rare and have only had to do it twice this year!

• Anyone is welcome to use the Window Seat next to me and I will always stand to allow the person to move in and out as per their needs/requirements throughout the journey
  • I sometimes put my bag on the window seat next to me when sat at a Table. If someone wants the window seat I will move the bag without hesitation - This is done as I will otherwise forget the bag if with me Roll Eyes

I will not always ask someone to move out of my reserved seat if there is similar accomodation nearby.

Agreed; generally I don't do this either. And for those who do request their reserved seat. I can understand if the train is busy, but when there is for example an Empty Carriage my logic brain hurts at this point.

A while back I took a CrossCountry HST (High Speed Train) service from Exeter St Davids - Birmingham New Street. I took a seat in Coach A. It was the pair of seats facing the Disabled Toilet (Where the Wheelchair Space is). In general, no-one really wants to sit in those seats because A: It gets cold if the vestibule door doesn't close because of the droplight windows and B: It's directly opposite the toilet. These reasons however are exactly why I like these seats.

No reservation flags on the seat or anything. The service was diverted between Taunton and Bristol so I had settled myself in for the journey (i.e. Laptop out, Mobile Phone Charger etc etc). When the train pulled into Bristol Temple Meads it reversed there but had to wait for nearly 30 minutes before it's booked departure.

Whilst I was seated someone boarded around 8 minutes before departure and said that he had reserved this particular seat and requested I move. (He was a 'suit') Ordinarily I would move. But there must have been at least 5 tables of 4 free in Coach A alone and a few more in Coach B.

So I refused (Sorry folks). Explained the seat wasn't marked as reserved, it was a priority seat and there wasn't exactly any shortage of seats. Was told he would get the TM. Invited the suit to do so. TM came shortly after departure and I explained why I didn't particularly want to move. TM agreed with me and told the suit to go away and sit somewhere else. Suit was not happy...

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 18:42:18 »

It looks like my comments previous have been taken on board... Grin

Oh, I read every post on this forum, young trout ...  Wink

... I sometimes put my bag on the window seat next to me when sat at a Table. If someone wants the window seat I will move the bag without hesitation - This is done as I will otherwise forget the bag is with me Roll Eyes

... and that is no way for you to refer to ladyfriendtrout!  Shocked Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 20:06:03 »

I will actually catch an earlier train so that I can travel in relative comfort . On a 165/166 service I'm happy to sit in a window/isle seat but not the middle of a group of 3. I don't want to wake up realising I gave fallen asleep on their shoulder Smiley
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 22:47:42 »

/Pedant alert/

But wheres the abstain option??? I might want to vote, but not using any of the choices provided. lol

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2014, 09:58:57 »

I will not always ask someone to move out of my reserved seat if there is similar accomodation nearby.

Agreed; generally I don't do this either. And for those who do request their reserved seat. I can understand if the train is busy, but when there is for example an Empty Carriage my logic brain hurts at this point.

Conversely, I can understand someone sitting in (my) reserved seat if there aren't (m)any seats available, if the train is (near) empty, why anyone would *choose* to sit an an obviously-reserved seat is beyond me - hence I *always* ask them to relocate in these circumstances. Sorry, but why sit there when there are plenty of *unreserved* seats is beyond me....and serves you right to having to move, frankly.

Edited to fix quotes - bobm
« Last Edit: April 28, 2014, 10:28:09 by bobm » Logged
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2014, 11:49:40 »

Conversely, I can understand someone sitting in (my) reserved seat if there aren't (m)any seats available, if the train is (near) empty, why anyone would *choose* to sit an an obviously-reserved seat is beyond me - hence I *always* ask them to relocate in these circumstances. Sorry, but why sit there when there are plenty of *unreserved* seats is beyond me....and serves you right to having to move, frankly.

Edited to fix quotes - bobm

Indeed. And then there is the minor point that your Advance ticket isn't valid if you don't sit in your reserved seat...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: