Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:15 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:48 Reading to Gatwick Airport
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
Additional 18:25 Shalford to Reading
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
17:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 18:25 Shalford to Reading
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
etc
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:28:49 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tube strike and thanks to the TFL staff at Paddington tues 29/4/2014  (Read 7258 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2014, 12:09:56 »

I knew that making a journey to London today would be challenging due to the first day of the tube strike but sadly I had no choice but to attempt it.

As expected the tube services were disrupted but I think the TFL (Transport for London) staff trying to help passengers at Paddington did a Stirling job given the circumstances

I did find it ironic that some passengers were hostile to these staff even though (a) they were trying to help and (b) they were not the ones on strike

I'm doubt anyone from TFL will see this but I just wanted to air my appreciation.
Pb_devon
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 13:18:17 »

Thanks BB. I am up to town tomorrow, and had wondered how bad it would be.  Methinks a healthy walk to the office from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) will be the solution (weather depending!) Grin
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 13:29:14 »

Thanks BB. I am up to town tomorrow, and had wondered how bad it would be.  Methinks a healthy walk to the office from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) will be the solution (weather depending!) Grin

Obviously there is no guarantee that tomorrow's pattern will follow today's but when I arrived at Paddington at about 700 today (Tuesday) there were no tube trains from either tube station at either end of Paddington (if that makes sense)

My journey to the bank area involved a walk to Edgeware road and then catching the metropolitan service to Moorgate. Note that this service didn't stop at all stations so just be wary of that.

The tfl web site has been very useful as it takes into account  the "special" services that are - and -are not running.

Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2014, 18:54:20 »

I was going to use the No 23 bus at 07:00 to St Pauls and the a walk over the Millennium bridge to the South bank but queue was too long so shanks pony to Waterloo, go home on a mix of Jubilee Line to Baker St and the Circle Line to Padd.

Tomorrow I think it will go to Waterloo via Slough and Windsor

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2014, 20:49:10 »

Oh dear.. I was aiming to get to Paddington at 7.30 tomorrow in the hope the buses would not be too bad.. last time there  was a tube strike they did really well with the buses and were dropping off passengers a bit before the bus stop so that people getting on had priority... Mind you if I need to it's only 45 minutes from Paddington to my desk..

I would also have been in London today but my heating/hot water helped me out by giving up and needing sorting out  Grin
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2014, 22:42:19 »

I did find it ironic that some passengers were hostile to these staff even though (a) they were trying to help and (b) they were not the ones on strike

Thanks for posting that very valid observation, BerkshireBugsy.  Smiley

Perhaps those staff should wear large badges, with an "I am not on strike - I am trying to help you" message, for those less perceptive passengers ...  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2014, 05:18:07 »

On Tuesday I had to travel from Worcester to an address near Canary Wharf.

Typed this into my copy of RailPlanner, with 'Tube' switched off, and got two potential routes. First was up to Birmingham, into Euston, walk to St Pancras, Southeastern high-speed to Stratford and then the DLR (Docklands Light Railway).

Second was FGW (First Great Western) to Reading, SWT (South West Trains) to Clapham Junction, London Overground to Shadwell and the the DLR.

The second sounded entertaining - I've never been on that bit of the London Overground.

All went well (OK, SWT from Reading is pretty mind-numbing) until we get to Clapham Junction. Where there's an almighty scrum to get off the platform and over the bridge. But there's lots of hi-vis jackets, some with loudhailers,  and an awful lot of crash barriers (plus BTP (British Transport Police)). The West London side of the Overground is heavily over-subscribed and the passengers are being penned on the bridge for safety, already sorted into train-loads. There's separate loads waiting for what looks like the next three trains. Dunno why there should be such a big flow here.

Fortunately, the South London side isn't so over-subscribed, so we're being allowed down onto our end of the platform. A one-way system is channelling the arriving passengers via a different route. All very organised, and the passengers apparently content to follow instructions.

At Shadwell, same comment applies. Lots of hi-vis jackets. We're being shepherded (another one-way system) from the platform up the emergency stairs. At the DLR station we're being send to the far end of the station for another one-way system.

Long-winded, but well-organised. Praise to those involved.

I'm in Brentwood at the moment, all hotels in East London being full of overnighters. But I have a late-morning meeting near Euston, for which the Railplanner suggests the North London side of the Overground. Can I complete the whole circuit? Amusing as that might be, the idea of enduring SWT from Clapham Junction back to Reading puts me off.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2014, 10:01:04 »

I'm in Brentwood at the moment, all hotels in East London being full of overnighters. But I have a late-morning meeting near Euston, for which the Railplanner suggests the North London side of the Overground. Can I complete the whole circuit? Amusing as that might be, the idea of enduring SWT (South West Trains) from Clapham Junction back to Reading puts me off.

You could always try the other NLL branch to Richmond and pick up an SWT there - likely to be just as busy though...

Going back to your earlier point about the WLL being incredibly busy, I believe that it normally runs at near capacity anyway in the morning peak, (irrespective of any strikes), and as a result SN were supposed to be putting on longer trains on their WLL services from the next timetable, some 5 car and a couple of targeted 8 car trains in the peak flow directions.

Possibly too late now, but were there massive queues to get onto the SN WLL services from platform 16 as well?

Paul
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2014, 12:41:56 »

There were long queues reported for London Overground at Clapham Junction during the last strikes. The Southern services on the West London Line are heavily oversubscribed. It's quite common to see trains turning passengers away at Clapham Junction, and that's without the added pressure of the tube strike.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2014, 13:29:27 »

There were long queues reported for London Overground at Clapham Junction during the last strikes. The Southern services on the West London Line are heavily oversubscribed. It's quite common to see trains turning passengers away at Clapham Junction, and that's without the added pressure of the tube strike.

Goodness - is that the old "Kenny Belle" that was - as I recall - down to a vestige of two poorly promoted services each way at one point?

http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/a-beeching-epilogue-the-curious-case-of-the-clapham-junction-ghost-train/

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Southern Stag

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2014, 14:13:10 »

Yes it is. Clapham Junction-Kensington Olympia is now served by 5 trains an hour all day. New stations at Imperial Wharf and beyond Kensington Olympia at Shepherd's Bush certainly will have helped, as will the reopening of West Brompton for interchange with the District and Hammersmith & City lines. There are through trains to South Croydon in one direction and Willesden Junction, Stratford and Milton Keynes Central in the other. All the stations have seen quite phenomenonal rises in passenger numbers over the last couple of years since the beginning of the London Overground franchise and the increase in service frequency and quality.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2014, 15:13:50 »

Wednesdays journey to bank in was (in contrast to Tuesdays ) a pleasure. Managed to catch a Bakerloo line service to Waterloo and then a  tube to bank. I think a lot of commuters stayed at home because they thought it would be too much trouble because there were plenty of seats

It would be nice if my journey home tonight was so good Smiley
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2014, 13:14:59 »

I'm in Brentwood at the moment, all hotels in East London being full of overnighters. But I have a late-morning meeting near Euston, for which the Railplanner suggests the North London side of the Overground. Can I complete the whole circuit? Amusing as that might be, the idea of enduring SWT (South West Trains) from Clapham Junction back to Reading puts me off.

You could always try the other NLL branch to Richmond and pick up an SWT there - likely to be just as busy though...

I got to Brentwood on the Tuesday by going back to Shadwell and completing the east side of the Overground 'box' to Canonbury, then by Overground to Stratford.

Retraced my steps on the Wednesday, taking the Overground from Stratford to Camden Road and a bus from there to Euston. Alas the one I caught was an ordinary service bus - when I got off I found that the one that was behind was a hired-in Routemaster.

By the time the meeting finished, the idea of doing the whole circuit seemed entertaining. I'd hit the gap in the Cotswold line departures, so I'd have time to catch the 14:15 from Camden Road to Richmond as Paul suggested (and as the RailPlanner proposed) and get to Reading in time to catch the 15:52 from Paddington.

But ... the Overground was suspended between Willesden and Richmond on account of a point failure at Acton. So I end up having to do the Clapham Junction link after all - but this means that the connections don't work, so I was on the halts train out of Oxford instead.

The West London side of the Overground was full-and-standing but there wasn't anything obvious in the way of marshalling of passengers. Homeward journeys in the afternoon are probably more spread out in terms of time, so easier to manage.

So, there we are - a full circumnavigation of the Overground in response to the LUL (London Underground Ltd) strike.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: