Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 12:55 28 Mar 2024
* Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Additional 12:07 Bristol Temple Meads to Gloucester
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:41 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
12:32 Exeter Central to Okehampton
12:46 Avonmouth to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:07 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
13:26 Okehampton to Exeter Central
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
12:27 Okehampton to Exeter Central
12:28 Plymouth to Gunnislake
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 12:56:59 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[151] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[85] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[58] Return of the BRUTE?
[49] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[46] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[36] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Revenue Protection at Stations  (Read 21631 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #30 on: May 20, 2014, 21:41:12 »

An excellent account, bignosemac!  Wink

I have seen a fairly similar situation develop, in the past, which I recorded on our 'frequent posters' board at the time, at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=7222.msg71991#msg71991  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2014, 19:21:40 »

Today (June 09 2014) there were 8 officials on the platforms 4 RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) and 4 security assistants. Quite a presence !
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2014, 22:21:12 »

Having just returned from touring the North West on a Rover, I have been reflecting on the differing revenue protection systems. Some big stations like Carlisle and those in Manchester have no barriers but plenty of protection from real people. In Manchester, there are staff checking those leaving and entering platforms. On most of my Northern Trains journeys tickets were checked after every stop (admittedly not on very inner suburban lines).  One 3 car TPE (Trans Pennine Express) (TransPennine Express) train had 5 staff for some of the journey, all of them weighing in.

The effect of this (to me) was to feel confident that someone knew what was happening throughout the train and a much more human face of the company.  It clearly worked as at least twice non-paying pax were caught out and one pursued to the platform where he had tried to escape. Whether it was my sage appearance ( Grin) or something else, but I was given only cursory attention a couple of times where they conductor had his eye on those he thought more likely to be ticketless. Recent incidents may show that appearance is a false indication of honesty.

I enjoyed the open access to the platforms and the interaction with staff and believe more companies would improve their PR (Public Relations) as well as their revenue by employing well trained staff whom pax would know would almost always appear.  Of course, getting through the train is essential and I understand London commuter trains may be exceptionally overwhelmed, but Northern seem to manage at Manchester (there are barriers at Leeds, I know, but I only used one train from there).
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2014, 23:14:27 »

Head over to RailUK Forums for the many tales of woe regarding the Revenue Protection staff at Manchester Piccadilly. It's worth noting that these staff are not employed by Northern Rail, but are instead employed by G4S. Often as agency staff at little above minimum wage.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2014, 00:43:28 »

I dont think they are G4S anymore, its now STM, the same guys that run the 'out of hours' LoOROL revenue protection 'racket'.

If I also remember rightly they can only 'officially' check Northern tickets as that's all that the licences they wear show (however we all know once we delve into railway lore that any railway servant can check any operators tickets).

I have noticed that in the past when going through Man Pic coming off a FTPE» (First TransPennine Express - website) they were not checking. But as soon as a Northern arrived they 'woke up', also none of them seem very clued up on the different types of passes. e.g. boxes, staff passes, transec passes, etc etc

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2014, 03:02:58 »

On most of my Northern Trains journeys tickets were checked after every stop ...

The effect of this (to me) was to feel confident that someone knew what was happening throughout the train and a much more human face of the company.  It clearly worked ...

Something I've seen recently is ticket checking on board, before the train sets off - it's happened quite a few times at Westbury, and ( vaguely remembered ) on an occasion at Swindon on the TransWilts.  It not only helps to collect Westbury - Trowbridge revenue, but also expands fare checking and collection time which can be at a premium for services that pick up substantial passenger numbers at Trowbridge when the booking office is closed, or at Melksham.  As a side effect, it also helps to identify the occasional passenger for Bradford-on-Avon / Bath who gets on the train in error before it's too late.

Whether it was my sage appearance ( Grin) or something else, but I was given only cursory attention a couple of times where they conductor had his eye on those he thought more likely to be ticketless. Recent incidents may show that appearance is a false indication of honesty.

Appearance is only a trend .. and it works both ways.  Difficult one that, and fraught with "bias" and "political correctness" risks however the staff play it.   For an outside observer, there can be a feeling of false bias too; on the smaller lines (and I count TransWilts in there even though our passenger numbers are starting to overtake other lines) the staff get to know the habitual fare avoiders on one hand, and the regulars who are always fully ticketed ... and an occasional user / first time user on the line may observe the application of specific knowledge as the application of stereotyping / bias.

I enjoyed the open access to the platforms and the interaction with staff and believe more companies would improve their PR (Public Relations) as well as their revenue by employing well trained staff whom pax would know would almost always appear.  Of course, getting through the train is essential and I understand London commuter trains may be exceptionally overwhelmed, but Northern seem to manage at Manchester (there are barriers at Leeds, I know, but I only used one train from there).

I agree with you.   

And taking the opposite side of the coin, barriers which delay passengers trying to exit with legitimate tickets lead to a resentment of the system; personally, I sometimes feel that my integrity is being called into question when I have to queue to get off the platform, and / or get rejected by the barriers.   Should arrival time statistics be measured for when passengers exit ("escape") from the controlled area rather than the time at which the train's wheels stop turning?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2014, 17:44:46 »

And taking the opposite side of the coin, barriers which delay passengers trying to exit with legitimate tickets lead to a resentment of the system; personally, I sometimes feel that my integrity is being called into question when I have to queue to get off the platform, and / or get rejected by the barriers.   Should arrival time statistics be measured for when passengers exit ("escape") from the controlled area rather than the time at which the train's wheels stop turning?

I completely agree with that. Ticket Barriers serve a purpose don't get me wrong... But are also a major inconvenience at times. I find it quite offensive for an inanimate object to tell me to "Seek Assistance" when I know what I am doing and I personally feel I need no assistance.

Some railway staff also wrongly believe that a break of journey occurs the moment you go through said barriers, which is simply incorrect. Recently I was point-blank refused access through some barriers because I had an Advance ticket and BoJ (Break of Journey) was not permitted... Sod the customer who had just bought a veggie burger from a McDonalds Outlet on the station but was served a BigMac Burger instead Roll Eyes

Also from a busy train where you have been unable to purchase a ticket at journey start through fault of the operator. In a personal capacity, I find having to queue to buy a ticket for 20 minutes after the journey which perhaps only took 20 minutes itself rather irksome.

Grin Grin Grin Grin
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2014, 19:55:08 »

Have you spotted these notices at Reading?

I thought the public stance on barriers was that they were always operating, and if they were in fact left open with no staff we don't need to know as we ought to have tickets anyway.
So were the previous hours announced to the public?

Wouldn't you expect the words to say "please ensure that you have your tickets and travel documentation with you at all times, as they may be checked elsewhere." It reads as if it's saying "outside these hours a ticket is not required".

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2014, 20:30:26 »

Done so that PFs (Penalty Fare) at midnight aren't a shock...
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2014, 12:11:04 »

Don't forget PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) is going 24hrs barrier operation.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2014, 12:16:47 »

I think I'd tend to agree that giving precise times is odd.   I'd have just put posters up implying that the barriers were about to become effectively a 'full time' operation - and hence reminded passengers that delays might be avoided if everyone has their ticket ready on approach to the barrier line, rather than acting surprised when they get to the front...

Paul
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: