No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
24/04/24 00:31 London Paddington to Oxford
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 00:42:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Glass roofed trains  (Read 6701 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: May 04, 2014, 06:05:01 »

http://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/highlands-told-to-look-at-glass-roofed-trains-1-3398239

Switzerland, and now a proposal for Scotland.  How about in the South West of England and South Wales?

Discuss  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 08:46:42 »

Presumably it's only worth considering on non-electrified lines? Otherwise, all you'd get is a nice panoramic view of a lot of gantries, catenaries and bits of wire speeding by... Cheesy
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 08:57:30 »

Presumably it's only worth considering on non-electrified lines? Otherwise, all you'd get is a nice panoramic view of a lot of gantries, catenaries and bits of wire speeding by... Cheesy

Glacier Express - http://www.glacierexpress.ch/en/Pages/default.aspx - is electric.   Electrics would probably mess up the photos, but I suspect the experience is still worth having.  But I have never tried it.  I suspect the trains would need a good cleaning regime, and perhaps seats that align with windows / glass panels.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 10:46:17 »

Now that's something I'd like to see on the Portishead trains - the views of the Avon Gorge would be spectacular!

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 11:27:34 »

Glacier Express and similar Swiss trains (eg Voralpen Express) have high windows that wrap around at cant rail height to follow the roof profile, but there is a solid bit of roof down the middle.  OLE (Overhead Line Equipment, more often "OHLE") doesn't spoil the view. Problem is you're sealed in an air-conditioned box, you're far better using a normal local train on the Glacier Express route and then you can hang out of the windows.

Note the interesting formation in this picture, which is on a rack section dropping into Andermatt.

Edit to add:  Note also absence of line side fences - Switzerland is not a nanny state and the Swiss don't need 2m metal fences everywhere..
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 21:47:49 »

Most other countries dont need 2m fencing as the liability is reversed. Your sheep trespass onto railway land its your fault for not keeping them in.

In this country its Notwork Fails fault for not keeping them out.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2014, 11:21:34 »

I once photoshopped two Devon Belle Pullman observation cars back to back to create a 'class 157 Scenic Sprinter' DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit). My idea was the driver's controls could be under a locked desk at each end of the unit, similar to what I once spotted on the Docklands Light Railway (except that there would not be automatic operation, so the driver would always be using the control desk at the leading end). The seats at the end of the unit would be in a 2+1 layout, with the individual seat at the leading end being for the driver.

Most other countries dont need 2m fencing as the liability is reversed. Your sheep trespass onto railway land its your fault for not keeping them in.

In this country its Notwork Fails fault for not keeping them out.
Sheep (and most cattle) can normally be stopped with fencing like this, although wild animals have a habit of burrowing under them which can open up an escape route for lambs. Such fences are alot shorter than 2m and alot less visually intrusive than the horrible 'palisade fencing' which has been installed alongside the railway in places.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:27:15 by Rhydgaled » Logged

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
Gordon the Blue Engine
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2014, 13:05:43 »

This is how the Swiss provide a clear front view for passengers on certain sections of the Golden Pass Express route - the driver is above the front row of seats giving an unobstructed forward view for the passengers.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2014, 14:08:08 »

Goodness - he looks very similar to Action Chugger, IMHO (in my humble opinion)... (See Chuggington Wiki for details).

'Chuggington' is a marvellous world, for those who don't know it, where tenderless steam engines happily swan around with unpressurised cold-water boilers, among other travesties. No wonder kids today don't understand engineering...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 17:17:44 »

One of my grandsons is a devotee. At just over 2, he is a little young to be told that trains don't cross in front of each other at grade (not in this country, nor without signalling) but I will keep an eye on his progress. He is a veteran of the Llangollen railway, so is out of the blocks.

And the similarity to Action Chugger is uncanny. I bet you don't see them on opposite platforms of the same station!

Now, please!
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2014, 12:47:30 »

trains don't cross in front of each other at grade
I think there are one or two such places in the UK (United Kingdom) actually (Newark flat crossing on the ECML (East Coast Main Line)?)

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 12:51:52 »

trains don't cross in front of each other at grade
I think there are one or two such places in the UK (United Kingdom) actually (Newark flat crossing on the ECML (East Coast Main Line)?)

I'm surprised you didn't quote the Welsh one  Wink

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 13:38:13 »

The Welsh one being a flat crossing of two different gauges.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 14:01:26 »

...whereas this one , in Chicago, could have been lifted straight out of Chuggington. Wonder if they have glass-roofed trains in Chicago?

TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2014, 22:46:14 »

...whereas this one , in Chicago, could have been lifted straight out of Chuggington. Wonder if they have glass-roofed trains in Chicago?

A thing of beauty!

I am amazed at how many "grown" men here watch CBeebies (me included).

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: