08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:09 Gloucester to Weymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 12:29:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[296] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[235] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[56] On reservations, fees and supplements - Interrail
[39] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[35] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[17] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Tonights 8.30pm Paddington to Maidenhead and platform 13 (again!)  (Read 32639 times)
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 15:22:19 »

I am aware how to get there, you don't need to treat me as though I am not a sharp tool in the box!
Jim, I don't think BBM was suggesting that: actually, I found their description of the route, provided for the benefit of those (like me) who aren't familiar with it, very useful in understanding this apparently thorny issue!

Why should that happen  - just arrive a minute earlier. Lots of stations have platforms like this:
Salisbury (6)
Exeter (2)
Bristol TM(resolve) (1)
Birmingham New ST (4C)
and many more, everyone seems to manage there!
I was also interested in your reference to Bristol Temple Meads, platform 1: that's much easier to get to than platform 15, so when I arrive at 1749 and see my 1753 train is due from platform 15, I know I'm going to struggle!  For the benefit of those unfamiliar with the layout at Bristol Temple Meads, Platform 1 is just left and left again through the entrance: platform 15 is at the very far side of the station, involving negotiating the rugby scrum down into the subway, the mad dash against the flow of all the departing passengers and the final scramble up the steps to 15!

To be fair, as Jim says, I can manage it - if I can arrive that critical minute earlier: if I can't, I accept that's my problem!  Cry

That is true at Bristol yes - but I was getting to the point that it's 1 long flat walk, as opposed to steps.

Cheers
Jim Smiley
AG's most famous quote "It'll be better next week"
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2008, 15:44:18 »

oh know, some steps, whatever are you going to do...

I still fail to see what the fuss is about plat 13 (i have used it, so dont use that argument against me)

A bit of walking never hurt anyone!
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2008, 17:37:13 »

I still fail to see what the fuss is about plat 13 (i have used it, so dont use that argument against me)

Back to the original post, you'll see that the problem is that it is used more than necessary at off peak times, when other platforms are empty.. And it is very annoying to miss a train that I arrived at Paddington on time for... Or for people to miss it because they cannot walk as fast all the way to platform 13 as other people (for whatever reason)..

But as someone commented on here, it's probably best not to complain about it, otherwise someone who is in  charge or these things will make us use those platforms even more!
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2008, 18:51:28 »

Let me try and explain the annoyance this way:

Imagine you're making a cross-London journey with heavy luggage. Your train arrived on time at the other terminus, however there's a delay on the Tube. You become anxious because it's a Sunday, there's only a 30-minute interval on the local service and it looks like you might just miss the next departure. But the Circle Line coughs into life and you find yourself up the stairs and on the main concourse at Paddington with two minutes to spare. You don't even waste time by looking at the main departure board, you head straight for platforms 9 to 12 because you're sure the train will go from one of those. Hang on a minute - something wrong here - all those four platforms are empty!!!! Is the incoming train delayed? Then you do look at the departure board - and it's going from 13! So no chance of getting it, it's now due away in one minute. You resist the urge to scream and instead curse the railway operators under your breath before phoning the person due to pick you up at Twyford and asking them to delay their journey by half-an-hour. (and yes that scenario really did happen to me fairly recently, hence me venting my anger in this thread! Angry)

(and I can confirm that there was no engineering work that day at Paddington necessitating any platform closures)
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2008, 18:57:36 »

As i've said, i've used that platform many times.

With lots of bags as well.

Never actually had an issue with it.

I really don't see what you lot are fussing about
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2008, 19:19:01 »

Shazz,

Can I please politely ask you to re-read my message above and let me know how you would feel in such a situation as the one I had?

Thanks!  Smiley
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2008, 21:15:53 »

I  was pointing it out, so I could use a equal example, stepless walk!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2008, 21:18:13 »

Yaaaaaawwwwwnnnnn. going on a bit is this thread.  Wink
Jim

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2008, 21:18:42 »

Let me try and explain the annoyance this way:

Imagine you're making a cross-London journey with heavy luggage. Your train arrived on time at the other terminus, however there's a delay on the Tube. You become anxious because it's a Sunday, there's only a 30-minute interval on the local service and it looks like you might just miss the next departure. But the Circle Line coughs into life and you find yourself up the stairs and on the main concourse at Paddington with two minutes to spare. You don't even waste time by looking at the main departure board, you head straight for platforms 9 to 12 because you're sure the train will go from one of those. Hang on a minute - something wrong here - all those four platforms are empty!!!! Is the incoming train delayed? Then you do look at the departure board - and it's going from 13! So no chance of getting it, it's now due away in one minute. You resist the urge to scream and instead curse the railway operators under your breath before phoning the person due to pick you up at Twyford and asking them to delay their journey by half-an-hour. (and yes that scenario really did happen to me fairly recently, hence me venting my anger in this thread! Angry)

(and I can confirm that there was no engineering work that day at Paddington necessitating any platform closures)

Every half hour! Some places are lucky to get a train service at all on a Sunday!

Most Cross-London journey times are long in NRES (National Rail Enquiry Service) Journey Planner, hence if you left that about of time, you really shouldn't have a problem!

Cheers
Jim Smiley
gpn01

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2008, 21:41:38 »

It's a concept called "helping to improve the customer experience". 

Yes, you're right ultimately it isn't a big deal for many of us who aren't elderly, infirm or bagaage bound.  Equally it would make our lives just that little bit more tolerable if we didn't need to walk to the furthest end of the station when nearer, empty, platforms are available.
Shazz

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2008, 00:52:58 »

It's a concept called "helping to improve the customer experience". 

Yes, you're right ultimately it isn't a big deal for many of us who aren't elderly, infirm or bagaage bound.  Equally it would make our lives just that little bit more tolerable if we didn't need to walk to the furthest end of the station when nearer, empty, platforms are available.

How about you make a petition to get those platforms removed and rebuilt elsewhere/ used less?

I'm sure noone will listen to you, or care, or do anything about it.

Once again, you're making a fuss about nothing, and should leave ample time (5-10 mins) on arrival at paddington to get your train, it's just common sence!

A bit of a walk never hurt anyone.  Now if you're lazy enough not to want to walk a few hundred metres or so extra, then thats another thing entirely...

Maybe you should apply for a job as a signaller if you think you could do better  Wink

Sure you can criticse them, but thats easy, doing it as a fulltime job is a completely different.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2008, 01:02:25 by Shazz » Logged
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2008, 01:21:20 »

In regards to the 20:30 I'm guessing my post of what was on or due to be on other platforms was ignored?

You say you would just come into Paddington from the underground and assume 9-12 and then check the screen after.

Maybe that is where you are going wrong.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2008, 10:06:53 »

Ollie,

20:00 on a Tuesday evening is still quite a busy time and the evening peak is still winding down. The sort of times when I get annoyed at 9-12 being empty but my train is departing from or arriving at 13 or 14 is more like 13:00 on a weekday or 10:00 on a Saturday.

If my train uses 13 and 14 and there are other trains in 9 to 12 then I grin and bear it and I get on with life. I don't expect the signaller to put a train into a platform which is already occupied.

The point I'm making which various people don't seem to grasp is simply this:

*** Why do signallers put trains into 13 and 14 in off-peak times when 9 to 12 are all empty? ***

It's a reasonably simple question - and I'm sure there's a perfectly valid simple answer! Maybe it's for driver route-learning or refreshing? Maybe 9-12 have to be left empty at times for maintenance? It can't be that signallers do it just for their own convenience? There must be a rule somewhere that Network Rail has which decrees that this happens.

I agree with the poster who said that this thread has gone on too long and I hope we can wind it up very soon!  Smiley
Ollie

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2008, 10:30:57 »

Well I will get hold of an amended station working for a Saturday morning, but I wont do today as it wouldn't be fair really.

Chiltern are running out of Paddington today, so it doesn't count for a normal Saturday.

Leave it with me and I will look into it.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2008, 12:27:33 »

Thanks Ollie - I'll await your reply with interest!  Smiley
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: