I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 28 Mar 2024
* Bus plunges off South Africa bridge, killing 45
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
20:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:20 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
22:10 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
23:17 Bedwyn to Reading
Delayed
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
21:30 Gatwick Airport to Reading
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 22:05:47 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[104] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[103] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[78] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Return of the BRUTE?
[25] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cornwall coach crash: Two dead and 50 injured (13 May 2014)  (Read 14471 times)
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2014, 23:38:25 »

VOSA had already confirmed that no defects were found by them with the vehicle involved in the Looe crash. The accident investigators also confirmed no defects found by them neither on that vehicle.

Can we have a source for this information? And do you mean DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) rather than VOSA (Vehicle and Operator Services Agency)? VOSA ceased to be on 31st March 2014, which was prior to the Looe incident.

Sorry I can't paste the article on this device. Carmel made reference to this on  a statement they released 10 days after the accident.

http://www.carmelcoaches.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Carmel-Coaches-Looe-Statement.pdf

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2014, 23:47:40 »

For completeness, that statement says:

Carmel Coaches ^ Statement 23rd May 2014
In light of the tragic accident that one of our vehicles was involved in on 13th May near Looe, Cornwall we wish to extend our sympathies and condolences to all those affected by the events on the day.
We have been fully co-operating with the authorities in regards to the investigation and have recently been informed that following a thorough vehicle examination by DVSA (VOSA) and TRL Accident Investigators, findings concluded that no contributory defects were found on the vehicle that could have been causative to the accident.
Safety is and always has been a priority and we hope this news reassures as to the high standard we operate to.
We will continue to work with the various authorities until the outcome of this tragic accident is concluded.
Carmel Coaches Ltd.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2014, 12:04:30 »

They've only started a local bus service between Portishead and Clevedon on 2 June and they took over the interests of the defunct North Somerset Coaches.

Having just spoken to the driver of a bus on the route referred to in my earlier post, it seems that Carmel Coaches Bristol is a separate company and unaffected by the decision in Devon.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2014, 12:42:36 »

http://www.middevongazette.co.uk/Carmel-Coaches-firm-involved-Looe-crash-stripped/story-21208138-detail/story.html

The coach firm based in Exeter whose bus was involved in a double fatal crash near Looe is to be stripped of its operating licence after an investigation by the Traffic Commissioner.

Carmel Coaches bus was involved in a crash in Looe last month in which two pensioners died and the commissioner has now revealed investigations show repeated safety problems with Carmel's fleet - including defects with brakes, emergency exits and glass-breaking hammers.

The Traffic Commissioner Sarah Bell had conducted an investigation into the Devon coach firm prior to the incident.

Commissioner Miss Bell said she had put the accident out of her mind before concluding the investigation

She said: "I am aware that shortly after the Public Inquiry concluded one of this Operator^s coaches was involved in a fatal accident. I send my condolences to the bereaved. I extend my heartfelt sympathy to all who have been impacted by this tragedy.

"At the same time I make it clear that I have put that event from my mind for the purposes of this written decision.

"The incident will be the subject of a rigorous investigation by the police and various agencies, which will take some time to complete. There are numerous reasons why incidents happen and there can be ^no-fault^ incidents.

"I cannot pre-judge the outcome of those enquiries and this decision should not be read so as to reflect any conclusion regarding the incident."

The commissioner today said Carmel Coaches Limited "no longer satisfies the requirements ... to be of good repute and professionally competent.

"Operator Licence PH1098535 is revoked from 23:59 hours on Thursday 31 July 2014."

They added: "Pursuant to Section 28 Transport Act 1985 Carmel Coaches Limited, Anthony Grove Hazell and Michael James Hazell are disqualified from holding or obtaining an operator^s licence or being involved in the transport operations of an entity that holds or obtains such a licence for a period of 18 months from the date of this decision."

A report from the commissioner says Carmel's Transport Manager, Anthony Grove Hazell "no longer satisfies the requirements ... to be of good repute and professionally competent."

Anthony Grove Hazell is disqualified for a period of 18 months from acting as a Transport Manager for this Licence or any other Licence.

Michael James Hazell, trading as Hirethisbus.com, no longer satisfies the requirements to be of good repute and professionally competent and his Operator Licence is revoked with immediate effect.

On February 16, 2013 Michael Hazell applied to increase the authorisation on his sole trader licence from three vehicles to 12 vehicles.

The substantial size of increase attracted a maintenance investigation by the Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (^DVSA^).

The investigation took place on April 20, 2013. The report was marked ^unsatisfactory^. One of the findings included the possibility of the lending of discs between Hirethisbus.com and Carmel Coaches Limited.

The current directors of Carmel Coaches Limited are Anthony Hazell (known as Tony Hazell) and his two children Michael Hazell and Carolyn Alderton.

Carmel Coaches Limited was the subject of a maintenance investigation in January 2012.

The commissioner issued a formal warning letter to the company and the two nominated transport managers (Michael & Tony Hazell) because undertakings for drivers to promptly report vehicle defects and for teh company to keep a record of defects were not being complied with.

Carmel Coaches Limited became the subject of a further DVSA investigation on August 14, 2013.

The outcome of that visit was also reported as ^unsatisfactory^. The report from DVSA stated that the undertakings were still not being complied with.

Accordingly, both Operators and their respective Transport Managers were called to Public Inquiry.

Just before the hearing the commissioner was made aware by those representing Carmel Coaches Limited that there was a possibility that one or more of the Directors and/or Carmel Coaches Limited were involved in an unlawful arrangement when taking over part of an operation in the Bristol area previously run by North Somerset Coaches.

At the hearing Carmel Coaches Limited acknowledged that there have been real maintenance concerns since the Licence was issued on 10 May 2011.

Counsel submitted at the outset that there was at all times an intention and willingness to be compliant but accepted that there had been some "woeful failures".

In addition Carmel Coaches Limited attracted 3 traffic compliance prohibitions for breaches of the tachograph rules.

It was accepted that the new Bristol operation is not compliant with the licensing regime but steps have been taken to regularise the position.

Michael Hazell acknowledged at the hearing that having taken legal advice, the arrangement between the two Operators in relation to the use of Hirethisbus.com discs by Carmel Coaches Limited had been unlawful.

At the maintenance investigation carried out in relation to Carmel Coaches Limited on 14 August 2013 a number of unsatisfactory matters were found, namely that there was no notified service interval on file; the walk-round check sheets were scattered and incomplete with action not recorded, mileages missing, records missing and repeat defects reported.

Further, the Operator had received 10 Prohibitions since the last investigation in January 2012 including three Prohibitions that were issued as part of the August 2013 fleet inspection.

The prohibitions indicated failures across the maintenance system, namely the quality of the fitters work and the effectiveness of the driver daily walk round checks.

A Vehicle Examiner carried out a review of the encounters with Carmel and confirmed that the Operator has been encountered 15 times and issued with 6 Immediate Prohibitions and 2 Delayed Prohibitions.

Vehicle FJO4ESG had its driver defect record book examined which showed that of three defects, an ABS (brake system) defect had been reported eight times, a jammed emergency exit had been reported twice and atyre defect was in the defect report for that day.

A prohibition was issued as recently as 5 March 2014 to vehicle YN05VRW due to defects to two obligatory seatbelts and the emergency break glass hammer missing.

The vehicle examiner said: "The figures show that even after two investigations into the condition of the fleet the mechanical condition of the vehicles being run by the Operator has worsened. It shows that there must be a reason for the fall in standards that only the Operator can answer."

The Operator^s current maintenance records were checked by the Vehicle Examiner immediately prior to the hearing commencing on 20 March 2014.

The Vehicle Examiner checked the vehicle files for the eight vehicles which had been prohibited since his last report.

The outcome of his review was "at best disappointing."

Of the records he inspected, on 50% of them the inspection intervals had been exceeded and on 3 records the Certificate of Roadworthiness was not signed off.

There were a number of drivers listing many different defects and a number of the items were not recorded as remedied but were safety critical matters.

This report seems to include more information. The vehicle I've highlighted in bold was the vehicle involved in the Looe crash.

LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2014, 12:55:01 »

They've only started a local bus service between Portishead and Clevedon on 2 June and they took over the interests of the defunct North Somerset Coaches.

Having just spoken to the driver of a bus on the route referred to in my earlier post, it seems that Carmel Coaches Bristol is a separate company and unaffected by the decision in Devon.

Seems to be correct.
Operator Licence PH1098535 is revoked from 23:59 hours on Thursday 31 July 2014, this is the company registered at Okehampton as CARMEL COACHES LIMITED Trading Names - CARMEL COACHES
The Bristol based operation is a separate entity. Operator Licence number PH1127110 with Carolyn Alderton (Mr Hazell's daughter) as the O-licence holder.

Company Name - CAROLYN ALDERTON Trading Names - CARMEL BRISTOL. Operator licence PH1127110

Carmel Bristol's O-Licence is for 5 vehicles.

JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2014, 13:22:57 »

A separate trading name maybe, with its own O-license, but I can't find a separate company listed with Companies House. Carolyn Alderton holds just one directorship. Carmel Coaches Ltd. The same registered company of which Michael and Anthony Hazell are directors.

It would appear that Carmel Bristol is only a trading name of Carmel Coaches Ltd and not a separate company.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2014, 15:05:28 »

A separate trading name maybe, with its own O-license, but I can't find a separate company listed with Companies House. Carolyn Alderton holds just one directorship. Carmel Coaches Ltd. The same registered company of which Michael and Anthony Hazell are directors.

It would appear that Carmel Bristol is only a trading name of Carmel Coaches Ltd and not a separate company.

Only the above quoted O-licence has been revoked so is there any restrictions on using the other O licences held by other directors for the Carmel Exeter business?

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2014, 10:49:50 »

An update, from the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Carmel Coaches firm in Devon 'a shambles', tribunal hears

Carmel Coaches runs a number of local bus routes including schools services

A judge has described the maintenance systems at Devon coach firm Carmel Coaches as "a shambles".

The comments were made at an appeal hearing against a decision in June to strip the company of its operating licence for "woeful" safety failures.

The Upper Tribunal heard Carmel Coaches' MOT failure rate was double the 18% national average.

Tony Hazell who runs Carmel Coaches admitted the company had expanded too fast but said maintenance had improved.

The hearing on Tuesday was told a brake defect was reported eight times before something was done, while a jammed emergency exit was not fixed when it was first flagged up.

Judge Jacqueline Beech, who chaired the tribunal, asked: "How did we go from a compliant operator to what can be politely described as a shambles?"

One of the firm's vehicles was involved in a coach crash at Looe in Cornwall in May where two people died although no defects were found.

The traffic commissioner who revoked the licence gathered her evidence before the crash and said her decision did not reflect the incident.

Speaking after the hearing, Mr Hazell said: "Two large firms went out of business suddenly in Exeter around that time which caused us a considerable increase in business. It was a bit difficult to keep control at the same time with a tremendous increase and growth in our work."

The company, based in Okehampton and Exeter, said it has learned lessons and put in a new maintenance regime including better training and employing more experts.

A judgement on the appeal could take up to four weeks.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 23:16:10 »

From the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page):

Devon's Carmel Coaches ceases trading after licence loss

A Devon coach firm which was stripped of its operating licence is to cease trading, managers say.

Carmel Coaches said the decision to stop trading on 14 November had been made after losing an appeal aimed at keeping its licence.

The company appealed to the Transport Tribunal after it was stripped of its licence in June because of safety failures and poor record keeping.

The firm said it would to ensure job losses were kept to a minimum.

Carmel Coaches ran bus routes for schools services and private hire from depots in Northlew and Exeter.

Sarah Bell, traffic commissioner for the West of England, revoked its licence and those of two of its directors over "woeful failures" and safety concerns.

Issues included serious defects not being fixed and poor record keeping of safety issues over a number of years, she said.

The appeal heard the firm's MoT failure rate was double the 18% national average and one brake defect was reported eight times before something was done.

At that hearing, company director Tony Hazell admitted the firm had expanded too fast but said maintenance had improved.

Speaking of the company closing, Mr Hazell said arrangements "are being made for all future contracts and bookings to be honoured".

He added: "We are working hard to ensure staff find continued employment and job losses will be kept to a minimum."

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2016, 17:22:23 »

From the Plymouth Herald

A coach driver who was on his phone when he crashed has been found guilty of causing the death of two Age Concern day trippers and injuring several others.

Martin Chun, 60, from Whitestone, near Exeter, was today, Monday, found guilty of causing death by dangerous driving and sentenced to a total of five years in prison.

Chun was taking a group of 50 on a day out but was "not concentrating" when he lost control on a bend on a steep hill, a jury heard.

He crashed on a steep hill on the A387 at Morval just outside Looe on May 13, 2014.

Edited to fix link - bobm
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 07:48:38 by bobm » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: