02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningShort Run
06:40 Penzance to Cardiff Central
Delayed
05:40 Bristol Temple Meads to Penzance
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 08:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
08:50 Penzance to Plymouth
09:45 Truro to Falmouth Docks
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 10:21:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[206] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[112] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[72] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[41] Where have I been?
[40] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[34] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Across London Pushchair Friendly  (Read 4697 times)
ReWind

View Profile
« on: May 16, 2014, 19:12:22 »

Not being a regular traveller to the capital, I am making an ambitious but unavoidable journey tomorrow from Bristol to Pitsea in Essex.  This involves a cross London journey from Paddington to Fenchurch Street.

There will be 3 of us making the journey, 2 adults and a young baby in a pushchair.

What way would the community recommend on how to make this journey with as little inconvenience and as cheap as possible.

A taxi is obviously the ideal way, but I fear a taxi bill of at least ^20 - ^25.  London buses any better?

Any pushchair friendly tube journey possible?

Thanks in advance.

Here, there and Everywhere!!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 19:22:41 »

Do you mean a pushchair (which can be collapsed) or a pram? I'm presuming you mean a pushchair, which you are required to fold up on FGW (First Great Western) trains anyway, and would have to fold up on a bus.

The TfL» (Transport for London - about) tube map shows step free access these days. The new Circle/H&C line entrance has step free access, although you have to get from the main station there first, which would be a little circuitous avoiding the bridge. There's no obvious step free access at Tower Hill though.

Give you will have to collapse the pushchair on a taxi, would it be possible to collapse it for the couple of minutes when you are transferring and carry the sprog?

ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 19:57:51 »

Pram, not pushchair sorry.  Whilst the pram is collapsible, it is still a bulk to carry.  The baby will be in a car seat which attached to the pram.

This is because we are driving back.

paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 20:12:39 »

If you are using a through ticket (with the cross London marker +) have you thought of staying on the LU H&C line  from Paddington as far as West Ham or Barking? They'll both be step free interchanges (via lift or ramped subway) and connect with c2c trains to Pitsea?   (The new LU 'S stock' on the route is air-conditioned and has loads of room for prams/pushchairs - but not that many seats...)

National Rail's info on crossing London lists loads of options other than the main terminus stations here:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_fares/ticket_types/46587.aspx#travelling_connect

Paul
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 20:16:58 »

I was going to make the same suggestion as Paul - beaten to it as I typed!

There's a station plan for West Ham at http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/SME/html/NRE_WEH/plan.html?rtnloc=WEH : lift down from H&C platforms, then a lift back up to the c2c ones. A lot easier than Tower Hill and Fenchurch St.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 20:19:51 »

That's the way I'd go....there's a lift down to the H&C playforms now
ReWind

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 20:46:19 »

Thankyou all for your suggestions.

I'll using a FGW (First Great Western) staff pass for the Bristol - Paddington leg of the journey (you'll know I recently joined FGW from another thread). 

It is the cross London journey I've yet to decide.

I will get a anytime single from Fenchurch Street to Pitsea.  My partner will be using exactly the same.  The baby is free.

I think I like the idea of step free access at West Ham.  Off to find train times via that route now.

^4.70 each for the tube journey if I'm not mistaken too.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2014, 20:53:44 by ReWind » Logged

BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 12:00:32 »

I know others have given you good advice about routes but - at the risk of stating the obvious - you will greatly reduce stress levels by travelling out of peak hours. I took some family and friends to London last year and one of them had a buggy and it was a nightmare on the tube

Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 13:41:01 »

^4.70 each for the tube journey if I'm not mistaken too.
Paddington to West Ham is ^4.70 cash.  Or ^3.20 on an Oyster (Smartcard system used by passengers on Transport for London services) card peak (Monday to Friday from 0630 to 0930 and from 1600 to 1900) or ^2.70 at any other time.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: