No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 13:56:40 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[181] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[96] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[91] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[81] Death of another bus station?
[56] tram/rail meet up
[48] You see all sorts on the bus.

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'Tour the South West with awesome Scalextric train set'  (Read 5415 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: May 21, 2014, 20:49:34 »

From the First Great Western press release:

Tour the South West with awesome Scalextric train set: Video

First Great Western is taking a model train set on tour to showcase the great destinations and amazing attractions on offer across the South West.

Enjoy in the dramatic scenery of the Clifton Suspension Bridge or whizz past the National Assembly for Wales^ Senedd building, as you conscientiously drive a train through undulating landscape and have your time recorded on a score board. 

Tour the South West with awesome Scalextric train set video here. Have a go yourself at the Devon County Show from Thursday 22 May to Saturday 24 May or at the Bath and West Show from Wednesday 28 May to Saturday 31.

First Great Western Campaign Manager Jamie Anderson said: ^Supporting our Be a Great Westerner advertising campaign, this model showcases the entire Great Western network and helps to remind people of some of the beautiful attractions available on our own doorstep. But, not only that, it also brings back childhood memories of setting up the Scalextric on the sitting room floor and is great fun.^

The interactive model invites people to join the ^First Great Western Challenge^ and try their hand at driving a First Great Western-branded train along the track to see who can make it around the track in the best time.

The concept was created by Blackjack Promotions and the agency will also provide a dedicated team of staff to help at First Great Western sponsored events this summer.

Holly Neufville, Account Director, Blackjack Promotions, says: ^The aim with this bespoke First Great Western track is to bring something fun and interactive for guests to enjoy at these events, all the while capturing customer data, to help customers better take advantage of FGW (First Great Western) offers, in the process.^

The Scalextric model tour complements Monday^s launch of our latest ^Be a Great Westerner^ multi-media advertising campaign, which will see a ^6 million investment in TV, print and online advertising promoting travel to the South West, managed by MEC Manchester.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 20:57:02 »

I've watched the YouTube vid - a few minutes of my life which sadly I can't get back; but can anyone explain to me why on Earth the so-called 'train set' has what I assume is supposed to be a Class 43 running on Scalextric track - and on the bang road (thanks, BNM) for some of the way, to boot? All I could think was that someone had got the wrong idea after watching locos going for maintenance during the Dawlish blockade...

The dreadful vid can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7-OS89y5t8
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 21:02:34 by Red Squirrel » Logged

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2014, 21:04:48 »

I echo those thoughts Red Squirrel.

Was it beyond the wit of the advertising execs to commission and build a landscape and railway using, oh I don't know, some OO ((Double O) - model railway, 4mm to 1 foot scale) gauge? It's not perfect for reproducing scale, but it'd've been a darn site better than sticking a god awful representation of a Class 43 on some Scalextric track.

One word for what I've just watched. Naff.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 21:11:55 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Ollie
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2014, 21:07:45 »

I've watched the YouTube vid - a few minutes of my life which sadly I can't get back;

You watched it 3 times? Wink

Would have been nice to see them use Hornby or something, but I think it's still nicely done Smiley
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2014, 21:10:22 »

Sorry Ollie. Cant agree with 'nicely done'.

To add to 'naff' I'll also say, 'shockingly inept'.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2014, 21:10:32 »

Was it really only 1.03? Seemed longer...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Brucey
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 21:29:35 »

Are FGW (First Great Western) planning on removing passenger coaches from their HSTs (High Speed Train)?  That is all I learned from the video.
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 22:12:42 »

I wonder what the budget was to produce it?
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 22:13:04 »

Are FGW (First Great Western) planning on removing passenger coaches from their HSTs (High Speed Train)?  That is all I learned from the video.

Perhaps they got the idea from BNM's signature.  Cheesy

Is it just me or did that "train" look like a blue version of Postman Pats van?
Rhydgaled

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 22:30:52 »

I agree with those who cannot understand why a locomotive on a Scalextric track was used. Hornby and Scalextric are even parts of the same company I believe, so why didn't they use Hornby rather than Scalextric? (I think Hornby do their IC125 model in FirstGW's Dynamic Lines livery also). The track-guage of 00-guage may be to an incorrect scale compared to the rolling stock, but it's close enough that I don't notice it. I've seen photos of 00-guage models that look like real-life at first glance.

----------------------------
Don't DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) it, keep the guard (but it probably wouldn't be a bad idea if the driver unlocked the doors on arrival at calling points).
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 19:50:32 »

They had this at the Devon County Show.
Apparently they were having technical difficulties in getting the track working.
Art imitating life  Grin

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: