Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:52:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: No Longer Quiet  (Read 4973 times)
old original
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: June 10, 2014, 15:59:33 »

Accordiing to a brief I've been shown, XC (Cross Country Trains (franchise)) is removing the quiet coach stickers from F on their voyagers from the 23rd June and replacing them with general ones throughout the train asking passengers to be considerate towards their fellow passengers... yeah that'll work!!

8 Billion people on a wet rock - of course we're not happy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 16:20:22 »

In a way I'd prefer that.  In the past I have asked people if they can turn their music down as I can hear it through their leaky headphones/earpieces even above the noise of a voyager engine only for it to be suggested I go and sit in the quiet coach.  I don't think that level of noise is acceptable in any carriage - and it is indeed against Railway Byelaws

7. Music, sound, advertising and carrying on a trade
(1) Except with written permission from an Operator no person on the railway shall, to the annoyance of any person:
(i) sing; or
(ii) use any instrument, article or equipment for the production or reproduction of sound.

So removing a dedicated quiet coach will make it easier to deal with those who a) seem to want us all to hear their 'music' and b) seem to be intent to become hard of hearing.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 21:30:58 »

I agree with all of the previous posts but would like to add that I actually feel uncomfortable taking a mobile call in any carriage on the train. What right have I to subject other customers to half of my conversation - especially when all I am trying to tell the other person that I AM ON THE TRAIN

SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 23:26:07 »

Voyagers ^ Quiet Zone Changes
From 23 June we will be introducing changes to the carriage designations on our Voyager trains. Following feedback from customers and staff, we will be removing the labels in Coach F on our Voyager trains that designate the carriage as a ^Quiet Coach^. To replace this, we will be providing labels throughout the train and making revised announcements, encouraging everyone travelling with us to consider the impact of their actions on other passengers.

The same information and announcements will be provided on all CrossCountry trains to ensure all customers are reminded they have a right to relax and travel without disturbance or intrusion, regardless of where they are seated.

For now, CrossCountry High Speed Train services will retain the Quiet Coach, due to the greater range of accommodation available.

If customers are travelling after 23 June and ask to be reserved into the Quiet Coach on a Voyager train, they should be advised this service is no longer available.

[Name Redacted]
Distribution Manager ^ [Phone Redacted]

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 09:44:08 »

It'll be interesting to see if that improves the general travelling environment.  I've said before that I usually avoid travelling in a quiet carriage as I find that they are very rarely full of passengers who are all obeying the rules and when someone is making a noise it winds me up no end - and I'm fed up with telling them to stop.  So, I'd rather travel in a normal carriage and put up with a 'reasonable' amount of noise - and if it get too much (babies screaming, loud phone conversations, etc.) I can then put on my headphones - at a reasonable volume - without fear of breaking the rules.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 09:50:42 »

It'll be interesting to see if that improves the general travelling environment.  I've said before that I usually avoid travelling in a quiet carriage as I find that they are very rarely full of passengers who are all obeying the rules and when someone is making a noise it winds me up no end - and I'm fed up with telling them to stop.  So, I'd rather travel in a normal carriage and put up with a 'reasonable' amount of noise - and if it get too much (babies screaming, loud phone conversations, etc.) I can then put on my headphones - at a reasonable volume - without fear of breaking the rules.

In my opinion part if the problem is that the announcements relating to the rules for noise in the quiet coach are not consistent- I am really talking about the PA (Public Address) announcements mainly here just giving my experience of FGW (First Great Western) services

So for example one TM(resolve) may say "please refrain from using mobile phones completely" whilst another may say "please keep noise from mobile phones, conversations,etc to a minimum"

Having said that I'm with you II, I tend to avoid the quiet coach on an HST (High Speed Train) set for the reasons you state, and also because in coach B you get a choice of doors to exit from which makes a difference on busy services

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: