27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 04:57:15 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[228] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[101] You see all sorts on the bus.
[97] "Mayflower"
[91] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[61] Death of another bus station?
[36] Rail unions strike action 2022/2023/2024

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: County Council reveal details of Exeter St Thomas station improvements  (Read 11583 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: June 17, 2014, 04:08:52 »

From the Exeter Express & Echo:

DEVON County Council has now provided more details about the proposed improvements to St Thomas railway station.

As The Echo revealed last week a planning application which would see better shelters, lighting and CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) at the station has been lodged with the city council.

A spokesman for the county council has now told Community News: ^The station improvements are being proposed by First Great Western as part of the INTERREG Citizens Rail project, http://www.citizensrail.org/devon/

^The project covers the Riviera Line between Paignton and Exeter and includes train service frequency improvements between Paignton and Newton Abbot, with some continuing to/from Exeter, along with improvements to some stations along the line.

^The county council has put in just short of ^270,000 of funding and is using ^175,000 of Local Sustainable Transport Funding to help provide the additional train services, but it is not funding the station improvements.

^First Great Western is leading on the station improvements, which include Exeter St Thomas.

^Devon County Council may separately fund a mural and some planting but there are no details as yet.^

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Umberleigh

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 11:48:58 »

Interesting. And good news for this service

However, interested to know how they are providing the extra services when apparently there are NO extra units anywhere to ease overcrowding on the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) line, for example..?
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 13:16:47 »

It's a very long story, Umberleigh, and only the significant extra funding brought in from the EU» (European Union - about) together with funding from Devon and Torbay has made it possible.  That funding wasn't available for any other line, I'm afraid.

Having said this, watch this space as there should be some good news soon about the Tarka (Line from Barnstaple to Exeter) Line.  Can't say more just now as it isn't all signed, sealed and delivered.

Richard Burningham,
Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership.
DavidBrown

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:54:37 »

You definitely know how to tease us, Richard! Still, any good news is always welcome - it shows that there are people of significance that are looking to improve the line/service, even if whatever this news is falls through for whatever reason.
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2014, 08:10:29 »

Certainly good news. Don't suppose the same could be done for SJP/Polsloe Bridge? Winter is coming, and I don't fancy freezing me nadgers off in the rain anymore Grin
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 19:59:05 »

Certainly good news. Don't suppose the same could be done for SJP/Polsloe Bridge? Winter is coming, and I don't fancy freezing me nadgers off in the rain anymore Grin

You'd have to sew mine back on first.

Now, please!
Rapidash

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 19:55:03 »

There is now a proper CIS (Customer Information System) on both platforms at St Thomas now! No more staring at a broken help point \o/ (I also saw them installed at Topsham as well!)
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2014, 21:45:05 »

Always good to have information at remote stations - not that Topsham or EXT should seem remote, but they are not a major terminus. Nice to be able to see that a train will appear sometime close to what it says on the CIS (Customer Information System).

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2014, 22:21:36 »

Always good to have information at remote stations - not that Topsham or EXT should seem remote, but they are not a major terminus. Nice to be able to see that a train will appear sometime close to what it says on the CIS (Customer Information System).

Nice to be able to get such information from a CIS. My local station's (no) Help (whatsoever) Point, has been downgraded from one with a 'train running' screen, listing departures and ETAs, to one with just a 'Next Train' button.

It's a button that is pressed more in hope than expectation, being as it still hasn't been connected to any system, human or automated, that actually provides 'Next Train' information.

Admittedly, Shirehampton is slightly more remote than Topshop or Exstir Stomas. But, to my mind, that means it should have better information systems in place. Twice in recent weeks it has fallen to a potential passenger (i.e. me) to inform others waiting that there are delays/cancellations. Information that I've had to garner at my own expense.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 16:05:46 »

Realtime Trains on the Smartphone caps it all. I have told staff at Temple Meads things they didn't know that I had guessed at from looking at RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) and confirmed by Twitter. Quite major stuff, in this case a Cross Country train that was very late, and had been reduced from 10 car to 5.

Now, please!
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2015, 08:24:36 »

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/St-thomas-rail-station-revamp-underway-Exeter/story-25877212-detail/story.html?

Work to improve St Thomas railway station is now underway.

The investment is coming from Devon County Council, central government, and the railway industry and will see the introduction of better shelters, more accessible platforms, enhanced lighting and CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision). There will also be improved train services.^

Local councillor Rob Hannaford was, for many years, a member of the Exeter Rail Working Group, and consistently lobbied for extra investment in the station.

He said: ^The county council has put in just short of ^270,000 and is using ^175,000 of Local Sustainable Transport Funding to help provide the additional train services, but it is not funding the station improvements, which are being led by First Great Western.

^The station and service improvements are being introduced as part of the INTERREG Citizens^ Rail project.

The project covers the Riviera Line between Paignton and Exeter and includes train service frequency improvements between Paignton and Newton Abbot, with some continuing to and from Exeter, along with enhancements to some stations along the line.

Cllr Hannaford added: ^The deep gap to the platform at St Thomas has been problematic for many passengers for over a century, and I get regular complaints about it from both commuters and those on leisure activities so this change is great news for people with buggies, wheelchairs, bikes , and those generally with mobility issues of various kinds.

^This further investment is a real boost to our valued train link in St Thomas which is a well connected station in terms of public transport to other parts of the city and beyond.^

Passenger usage at St Thomas station has increased fourfold over the last 10 years, from 45,681 in 2002/2003 to 196,198 in 2012/2013.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2015, 09:06:14 »

Excellent news that work has started. That article is the first mention of closing the gap twixt train and platform, and I wondered how it is to be accomplished. Will the platform be raised or the trackbed lowered?

Closer to my home is Stapleton Road, where the climb to carriage is, if not quite the Dawn Wall of El Capitano, certainly a challenge to anyone of restricted mobility. I am keen to see how this is remedied elsewhere.

Now, please!
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2015, 10:53:35 »

Excellent news that work has started. That article is the first mention of closing the gap twixt train and platform, and I wondered how it is to be accomplished. Will the platform be raised or the trackbed lowered?

Closer to my home is Stapleton Road, where the climb to carriage is, if not quite the Dawn Wall of El Capitano, certainly a challenge to anyone of restricted mobility. I am keen to see how this is remedied elsewhere.

Perhaps one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harrington_Hump
plymothian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2015, 13:25:15 »

"great news for people with buggies, wheelchairs, bikes , and those generally with mobility issues of various kinds" who then face steps to get to street level  Roll Eyes

And I'm not sure the "gap" (it's not a gap, but a step. the vertical difference is worse than the horizontal) will be closed, because the new shelters on the down have been placed on the existing platform surface, leaving no room for a hump to be installed, except at the extreme end away from the shelters.

Please be aware that only the first 4 words of this post will be platformed on this message board.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: