19/04/24 06:00 Bedwyn to London Paddington
19/04/24 06:52 Worcester Foregate Street to Bristol Temple Meads
19/04/24 07:13 Great Malvern to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 00:18:02 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[176] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[71] Signage - not making it easy ...
[15] IETs at Melksham
[13] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[12] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train
[12] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Tenbury people have chance to comment on rail links  (Read 15343 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: June 19, 2014, 16:27:40 »

From the Ludlow Advertiser:

Tenbury people have chance to comment on rail links

People in Tenbury have a chance to take part in a consultation about improved rail links.

Although Tenbury no longer has a railway station it would mean faster links between Malvern and London.

West Worcestershire MP (Member of Parliament) Harriett Baldwin, whose constituency includes Tenbury, has welcomed proposals to invest in local train services.

Proposals issued by First Great Western will see train times between Malvern and London improved. The long-awaited timetable improvements will offer two extra train services to Oxford and two routes to London expected to take no more than two hours and seven minutes.

The changes, which have been put out for public consultation, will see 20 minutes shaved off the current journey time. It will form part of the new First Great Western franchise which is due for renewal.

The Government has already pledged ^13 billion to improve rail services into London and made a commitment to delivering HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) which will bring huge economic benefits to the Midlands.

Harriett Baldwin claims that his investment is the highest spend on railways since the Victorian era and the First Great Western pledge is an important part of the commitment to rail users in the 21st century. ^I am delighted that First Great Western share my aspiration to deliver a faster, more reliable and more frequent rail service from Worcestershire to London on the Cotswold Line,^ she said. ^With electrification of the London-Oxford line and new rolling stock, it^s clear we have a long term economic plan to improve Worcestershire^s economy and its public transport. This news follows the Prime Minister^s intervention to ask for additional funding to complete the dual tracking of the Cotswold Line to Oxford. It is important, however, that people do make sure that they have their say and tell First Great Western that these are much needed improvements to the service.^

The consultation details can be found at https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/309926/gw-consultation-document.pdf

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Richard Fairhurst
Global Moderator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 18:02:12 »

That seems slightly confused - the story is presumably about planned improvements to the Cotswold Line service, for which I believe a consultation is imminent, but the link is for the wider GW (Great Western) franchise consultation.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 20:11:57 »

Could take 10 mins off the Malvern to Paddington journey by cutting out a few stops. OK I'll stand back and wait for the usual abuse............. 
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 09:37:40 »

i thought Kemble is the railhead for Tetbury! Could they also be refering to any speed up due to Swidon Kemble redoubling?

What's the station on the Cotswold line?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 10:06:09 »

i thought Kemble is the railhead for Tetbury! Could they also be refering to any speed up due to Swidon Kemble redoubling?

What's the station on the Cotswold line?

Tenbury v Tetbury?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 14:26:12 »

That seems slightly confused - the story is presumably about planned improvements to the Cotswold Line service, for which I believe a consultation is imminent, but the link is for the wider GW (Great Western) franchise consultation.

It is confused - partly because the Cotswold Line consultation - already underway & finishes shortly - is a targeted consultation and the paper hasn't appeared on any website. From that write up, it isn't clear that the paper has seen it either - and is just going on what Harriet Baldwin has briefed (either by written release to the paper or verbally to their journalist)
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 19:36:46 »

Shaving 20 minutes off the journey time?
Ok, that's most of the padding and takes us back to where we were 10-20 years ago. How about an actual reduction in journey time?

Cutting stops, raising line speeds and guaranteeing 125 mph stock so London - Oxford is not timed at 90 mph in case a Turbo turns up.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 09:01:17 »

A turbo won't be showing up in a few timetables time....
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 18:49:12 »

A turbo won't be showing up in a few timetables time....

I'll believe that when I see it!  Shocked

(not that I use/ live near the line anymore  Cry )
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 15:58:40 »

From the Ludlow Advertiser:

Tenbury MP (Member of Parliament) calls for better rail links

Tenbury MP Harriett Baldwin thinks it is important that people living in Tenbury and the Teme Valley should find it easier to get to London by train.

Although Tenbury lost its railway station half a century ago the MP whose West Worcestershire constituency includes Tenbury believes it is important that there are links to be capital from nearby towns and cities.

The MP has met with Rail Minister Claire Perry as well as representatives of the train operating companies to discuss progress on the planned improvement of rail services for local commuters and on the County plan for a new Parkway station.

First Great Western managing director Mark Hopwood updated her on the progress towards delivering an improved service along the Cotswold Line.

"It was useful to meet with the Minister and hear the rail companies' plans for delivering a better service for local commuters,^ said Mrs Baldwin. "It is also important to see that both operators - London Midland and First Great Western - are working together and they have all got the message that we are resolute in our desire for improvement.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
phile

Language spoken Welsh as well as English

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 20:49:29 »

Tenbury Wells, to be exact, was on a line that ran from the Marches at Woofferton to Kidderminster prior to 60s closure.  It was known as the Wyre Forest line.    The stretch from the former junction at Bewdley to Kidderminster is now part of the Severn Valley Railway.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 21:37:53 by phile » Logged
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2015, 22:32:26 »

This is my part of the world (well, sort of), and I can confirm that there is zero demand to London in the Tenbury area.
This is just a desperate attempt by the MP (Member of Parliament) to get a journey time saving.

Frankly, the existence of Hereford and Worcester is enough to get the journey time down - but we have had those arguments plenty of times before, so I won't re-open that can.  Cool

Trying to suggest there are hundreds of would be commuters living in Tenbury (~45 mins drive from Malvern link!!!) is crazy! Roll Eyes

And don't get me started on Worcester Parkway. Angry
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: