06:02 Bristol Parkway to Carmarthen
06:30 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
07:49 Bedwyn to Newbury
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 08:06:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[211] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[74] You see all sorts on the bus.
[71] "Mayflower"
[66] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] tram/rail meet up
[53] Death of another bus station?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello  (Read 15087 times)
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2008, 20:32:13 »

Can't see them fitting retention tanks to HSTs (High Speed Train)? Is there room undernear the carriage?
MKIII sleepers have retention tanks so I presume yes.
I don't think that any franchise has a requirement to fit retention tanks because of HST2 but Arriva may decide to.

Just wondering, but the Vomet Comet Fleet (Virgin's and Arriva's) are all maintained at Burton on Trent, it's not a depot set up for HSTs, so where will they be serviced?
Laira I'll bet, bear in mind all of the HST diagrams will work into Plymouth.
Will the HST diagrams be the services to/from Cornwall or will they be from Plymouth or will they just go in the Super Voyager pool. Anyone know?
footballyears.net

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2008, 18:13:04 »

Hi everyone, have a great day

Overall, the slog on the train is a pain sometimes (mainly when it's raining and the trains are full) but it's cheap and I get to see the sea every day which can't be too bad.

I look forward to exchanging views with you all.....

[/quote]

"Football, Health, Shoes, Nicotine" ((Links snipped by admin))
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2008, 21:33:50 »

Hi everyone, have a great day

Overall, the slog on the train is a pain sometimes (mainly when it's raining and the trains are full) but it's cheap and I get to see the sea every day which can't be too bad.

I look forward to exchanging views with you all.....

Hi, footballyears.    I notice (as administartor here!) that you're posting from Niger of all places - or so it appears.   Can that be real?  And if so, what train services do you have there?

-- Graham

P.S.  Your signature appeared to be a bit off-topic; hope you don't mind, but I've modified it to help keep the board and links from it nice and crisp  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2008, 22:02:57 »

BR (British Rail(ways)) was a WHOLE LOT better than the mess we call a railway today.

Back with BR, the Chiltern Line was being mothballed and singled. With privatisation, double track has been fully restored, passenger numbers are up >60%, services frequencies have been at least doubled. [[Breath]] Places like Kidderminster have had first ever through services to London, a new station has been built at Warwick Parkway, a lot of investment has been put into stock and stations, London to Birmingham from ^4 with Chiltern.

And you say things were "A WHOLE LOT BETTER" with BR? The BR that had celebrations when they shut a line (e.g. Wallingford Branch closure, which was celebrated, Source a poster on P9 of "Along Lost Lines" by Paul Atterbury.)? The BR, that clearly wanted to get rid of most of the network.

No, some standards have gone down, such as maintenance, punctuality. Electrification has also come to a halt. I agree with that 100%. But the critical overcrowding and sky high prices we see today is much to do with the success of privatisation, and the fact that as many (if not more) people go by rail now that in the 1950s (before the Beeching Cuts).*

*NB I understand that the population has also gone up, but this is irrelevant. There is a clear passenger no.s increase after the mid 90s in the figures.

Sorry if I have started to hyper-rant again!
John R

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2008, 09:05:07 »

Thr problem was that BR (British Rail(ways)) was not given the investment it wanted. eg the project to upgrade the WCML (West Coast Main Line). If they had been allocated half the money that has, very inefficiently, gone into the railways post privatisation, as well as a fraction of the money that the process of privatisation cost, then we would have had a superb system. I'm not saying that BR didn't have it's faults, but as an example, it did electrify the ECML (East Coast Main Line) and build 31 new train sets for 306m, which even in todays money would be less than ^1B.   
Btline

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2008, 19:20:50 »

Yes, it is a shame BR (British Rail(ways)) had not done more. The GWML (Great Western Main Line) could have been modernised/electrified!

Everything seems too expensive these days.

To put up a sign, you need to wait ages for permission, then the actual sign and its putting up costs about ^1 billion. Then it needs to be checked with health and safety........
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: