Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 19:56:48 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Network Rail plan to close Tan Hill crossing and replace it with a footbridge  (Read 8620 times)
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: July 10, 2014, 20:20:27 »

From getwokingham
Decision to close dangerous level crossing has been deferred
Jun 26, 2014 10:24 By Laura Miller

Network rail plans to close Tan Hill level crossing and replace it with a footbridge because it has a "high risk of accident"

Tan Hill level crossing in Wokingham which could be replaced by a footbridge

Plans to replace a dangerous level crossing with a footbridge have been deferred.

Wokingham Borough Council's planning committee were last night due to consider Network Rail's plans close Tan Hill level crossing and replace it with a footbridge.

The level crossing, which forms part of a footpath, is across the London Waterloo to Reading train line, close to where it and the Guildford line fork behind Wokingham Superbowl.
The rail company said the crossing carries a ^high risk of accident^ as trains can reach speeds of up to 70mph in both directions and a curve in the double track section can make sighting trains difficult, along with sun glare.

In in 2012 there was a near miss on the crossing.

The plans are now expected to be considered by the committee next month.
(That next meeting will be on July 23rd.)

This links to a more detailed previous article:

A survey last year revealed 80 to 90 people use the crossing on weekdays which increases to an average of 105 during the weekends.

The survey also found unauthorised use and trespass and criminal activity and a ^significant number^ of unaccompanied children using the crossing.

New train station could be added to Montague Park housing development

Safety fears were raised with Network Rail stating ^the highest risk to the public is a fatality occurring^.

A report into the proposal said: ^Therefore Network Rail believes the replacement bridge is the only safe solution.^

The ^700,000 plans also include moving the footpath leading to the crossing around 56 metres via a stepped footbridge on both sides of the track.

Wokingham Town Council said it agrees to ^support the proposal but requests that consideration be given to meeting the aims of the Greenways project by ensuring the bridge is designed to be suitable for use by cyclists. An ideal solution would be a single bridge across both railway lines^.

Network Rail said ^may be in the future the situation is reviewed^ however this would not be until the current stepped bridge over the nearby Guildford railway line is up for renewal, and that is ^not scheduled in the foreseeable future^.

Network Rail has included a cycle gutter in the project, which means cyclists can also use the bridge.

Nationally Network Rail is spending ^130m to improve safety and reduce risk where a public highway meet a railway.

The plans are recommended for approval at tonight^s Wokingham Borough Council planning meeting at Shute End at 7pm.

The application by NR» (Network Rail - home page) is for a Footpath Diversion, specifically for a Railway Crossing Diversion Order under s.119a of the Highways Act 1980.

The briefing for the planning committee is here.

At this stage this is not an application for planning permission, though any new bridge will require such an application.

A few of points about this crossing:
  • It puzzles a lot of people - why would you have a bridge across the (unelectric and usually less busy) line to Guildford, and a footpath crossing over the 3rd-rail electric line to Ascot?
  • The speed of 70 mph is in the briefing, apparently from NR themselves. However, there is a 30 mph restriction through the station starting right next to it - and almost all trains stop anyway, so actual line speeds may be below even that limit.
  • I've added some pictures. The main approach from the town side - the important side for its staggering-home-after-a-night-out users, who are one of the main high-risk groups - has an old wicket gate and some new fencing to discourage wandering off beside the track. The view from this side, the inside of the curve, along the track is not good. And note the proximity of the speed sign.
  • The map in the council briefing has the word "Subway" next to this crossing. I imagine this comes from the underlying large-scale OS (Ordnance Survey) map. That's weird.
  • The name "Tan Hill" is not one I've come across before - it probably applies only to the crossing. The path would have been a very minor lane direct to the old Tan House on the Emm brook.

The only thing about this that seems to be at all controversial is the proposal to provide only steps, with a "cycle gutter", rather than a ramped bridge for cyclists and to meet section 149 of the Equalities Act 2010. NR's view is that the footbridge has steps only, and is not due for replacement in the foreseeable future. I'm not sure how old it is - it is not on the 1933 OS map, but looks older. Mind you, reinforced concrete always looks old as soon as it starts getting a bit tatty.

They also say that the ramps would need to be 400-500 m long, which sound excessive. Are they counting both ramps in this total length of "the structure"? Even if they are, and the rise needs to be 10 m (it doesn't - it would be closer to 7), that's 1 in 20-25. Does that mean that a road bridge can't be steeper than that because its footpaths would not meet the EA?

As it is, you will now have two bridges - so you not only have to climb up and then down, but between the two lines you will have to go down to ground level and back up. A span to link the bridges would be about the same length as the stairs down. I know exercise is good for you, but still...

Once upon a time, they were going to replace this with ... a road bridge over both lines, to allow the other level crossings to be closed. That plan (the IDR) was abandoned over 20 years ago, but this small part of it still has some merit.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 10:22:13 by stuving » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2014, 20:30:41 »

Perhaps looking at something like this?

http://www.harrisons-engineering.co.uk/projects/prestatyn-station-footbridge-ramps-stairs-lift-shaft/

As a business, we have been through "legally level" requirements - I forget now but it was indeed something like 1 in 25

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2014, 09:54:02 »

From Get Reading

The Tan Hill Level Crossing in Wokingham is to close

A dangerous level crossing will be replaced with a footbridge in a bid to improve safety measures.

Tan Hill level crossing, which forms part of a footpath, is across the London Waterloo to Reading train line, close to where it and the Guildford line fork behind Wokingham Superbowl.

However, members of Wokingham Borough Council's planning committee agreed on Wednesday, August 20 to allow Network Rail to close the crossing.

Trains passing the crossing can reach speeds of up to 70mph in both directions and a curve in the double track section can make sighting trains difficult, along with sun glare.

A survey last year revealed 80 to 90 people use the crossing on weekdays which increases to an average of 105 during the weekends.

Safety fears were raised with Network Rail stating ^the highest risk to the public is a fatality occurring^.

The survey also found unauthorised use and trespass and criminal activity and a ^significant number^ of unaccompanied children using the crossing.

The footbridge will include a cycle gutter in the project, which means cyclists can also use the bridge.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 22:29:03 »

A couple of weeks ago I was coming along Wellington Road and spotted some scaffolding down behind the new (cricket cub) houses. So today I went to have a look. The footpath is closed off by barriers, but someone has pushed them aside so it was easy to get onto the existing bridge to see what's what.

And it's ... scaffolding. First I wondered how you'd build a bridge with the scaffolding in the way, then I though it looked more like a bridge for public use.

Looking in the WBC planning files, there is an application (numbered, oddly, 160497) for this temporary bridge, with drawings and calculations. It only went in on 22nd Feb, for comment until 8 March (there were none), and has not been decided. Network Rail make the usual point about this being permitted development (under the 1853 Staines, Wokingham, & Woking Railway Act), and are only asking for prior approval which "cannot be refused unless you are satisfied that the development ought to be and could reasonably be carried out elsewhere on the land, or the design or external appearance would injure the amenity of the neighbourhood and is reasonably capable of modification so as to avoid such injury".

The letter of application finished with "To confirm that you accept the proposed development under Part 18, Schedule 2 of the GDPO, please kindly issue a decision notice or letter stating that ^prior approval^ has been granted for our records in accordance with statutory timescales." That's brusque, and looks tactless too given that they started immediately. Putting 'prior approval' between inverted commas doesn't really make up for it.

So what's going on? There's some pictures of the site and a bridge, in which it says that "There are plans to install a new over span in 5 years to access the new facilities being built on the adjacent land." Of course! It's next to the Carnival pool bit of the Town Centre Regeneration Project, for which WBC's left left hand gave approval to its right hand at the outline stage last July (application O/2015/1056, including full approval for the new car park). And in the D&A statement for that there is indeed a pedestrian access across the track at a new angle to lead into the regeneration site, and in one sketch it's a "possible new pedestrian bridge".

So it looks more as if NR» (Network Rail - home page) are doing what WBC asked them to do.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2022, 18:47:56 »

I've heard nothing about that plan to run a long bridge from the new leisure centre via the car park, both of which have now been built and opened. I wonder if the council has a plan or not? Because on 22nd November NR» (Network Rail - home page) put in a planning application to WBC (number 223493) for a new bridge of their own, just on railway land, to replace the old bridge and temporary scaffolding one.

This work is all claimed as general permitted development, of course. It  needs three spans of one of their standard bridge designs, and makes no attempt to upgrade the crossing to be step free. After all, it (the one over the Guildford line) never was, and getting to it means walking the length of a muddy football pitch.

But the consultation (which ended yesterday) has seen 34 comments (though some are revisions) all, so far as I can see, castigating NR for ever thinking a stepped bridge could be acceptable. This was prompted by letters to the local paper, some from local councillors - who also put in some of the comments. I do wonder if our Lib Dems have got the hang of being the majority yet - don't they (as the executive) have a more direct way to engage with applicants?

I wonder what NR will say next? My guess is: "If you want to build a full-scale cycle plus pedestrian route (segregated, of course) across here, I'm sure we'll be able help you with the bridge part of it. Just don't expect to get one for free when we are just completing our crossing closure and replacing an old concrete bridge that's about to fall down."
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2023, 10:59:04 »

Well, either it finally dawned on our councillors that they can't reasonably demand that Network Rail build a bridge to retain a non-existent step-free path - and on land they don't own - or else they knew all along but were just posturing. And in any case, given the very limited powers for a planning authority to refuse an application for permitted development, it was approved last week. The give-away is in Wokingham Today's text:
If the council can obtain land, funding and planning by August, Network Rail will be able to install ramps to make the bridge more accessible.

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2023, 23:44:42 »

Today I got a letter from NR» (Network Rail - home page) (a proper one in the post, too) to say they will start building their new bridge on Monday. That's almost frantic haste, by railway standards! It will take 16 weeks, they say.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2023, 09:51:31 »

Today I got a letter from NR» (Network Rail - home page) (a proper one in the post, too) to say they will start building their new bridge on Monday. That's almost frantic haste, by railway standards! It will take 16 weeks, they say.

This must be a CP6 (Control Period 6 - The five year period between 2019 and 2024) funded project so needs to be spent this financial year; as rolling it over into CP7 is a whole degree of pain

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2023, 19:06:04 »

I was wondering how much had been done in the first week - I can see from the level crossing that the old bridge has not been removed. The first work listed was their access road and compound, to be put on the playing field, so I went up there today to look. When I got there all this fencing was upright, and I thought the whole installation looked quite big.

I decided against squelching around it to look at the compound, either to the right or the left (shorter). As I turned round to leave, this row of fence panels was blown over by the wind. There was a mum with buggy coming towards the playground, so I told her I would tell NR» (Network Rail - home page) about this, and I revised my opinion to "it may be big but it isn't clever". The tendency for this Heras-type of fencing to blow over should be known by professionals - I've seen it happen before.

I had to report it as an emergency, since I could not find anywhere for something a step down (urgent out of hours). A few minutes ago I had a look, which is hard as it's pretty dark (the street beside it now has LED lamps which don't produce spillover). So far nothing has changed.

PS: I've just spotted I got a phone call from a guy at NR while I was over the road. He told the machine he wanted more details - and then rang off with nothing more.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2023, 19:58:20 by stuving » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2024, 00:25:00 »

NR» (Network Rail - home page) did put that fence up early the next morning, with a bit more bracing in the layout. I have not been to see it much since, as you can see very little from there. In fact the best view is from the town car park, but there was not a lot to see from there - by last weekend the foundations had just about been been done.

Then yesterday (Thursday) NR gave me (this time hand delivered) another contribution to my ever-growing collection of "dear neighbour" letters. This says that they are closing the level crossing and the roads up to it again all this weekend, to bring in the bridge span. It will come through the town centre at about midnight Saturday, but when and how it will get to its final position is not clear. Would it need to go that last short move along the railway? We'll see - or maybe not, if it happens in the middle of the night, as usual.

Anyway, the piers - if that's the word for these ones - are all lined up ready. And today temporary traffic lights turned up, from a different supplier from last time. Which is odd, as the full closure NR have announced does not need them. So I guess traffic will be allowed past, though not over, the crossing most of the time. And now, after midnight, work is starting and stuff is arriving on lorries.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 14:54:39 »

Then yesterday (Thursday) NR» (Network Rail - home page) gave me (this time hand delivered) another contribution to my ever-growing collection of "dear neighbour" letters. This says that they are closing the level crossing and the roads up to it again all this weekend, to bring in the bridge span. It will come through the town centre at about midnight Saturday, but when and how it will get to its final position is not clear. Would it need to go that last short move along the railway? We'll see - or maybe not, if it happens in the middle of the night, as usual.

That was  not 100% true. According to a man who knows (labelled Network rail, and he said "this is my bridge to deliver"), arrival in Wokingham was scheduled for Saturday night, but brought forward two weeks ago, when the possession was retimed, to Friday night. So that letter was partly out of date. But I looked out of the window before midday, towards the crossing, and saw a bridge trundling past (it had been lurking along the road).

Since then it's been all go, with a BIG crane's minders setting out the load spreading under its stabilisers. That's just for a lift off the lorries and onto a little train; there are two more cranes hanging about for the lifts onto the piers.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2024, 17:13:47 »

Then yesterday (Thursday) NR» (Network Rail - home page) gave me (this time hand delivered) another contribution to my ever-growing collection of "dear neighbour" letters. This says that they are closing the level crossing and the roads up to it again all this weekend, to bring in the bridge span. It will come through the town centre at about midnight Saturday, but when and how it will get to its final position is not clear. Would it need to go that last short move along the railway? We'll see - or maybe not, if it happens in the middle of the night, as usual.

That was  not 100% true. According to a man who knows (labelled Network rail, and he said "this is my bridge to deliver"), arrival in Wokingham was scheduled for Saturday night, but brought forward two weeks ago, when the possession was retimed, to Friday night. So that letter was partly out of date. But I looked out of the window before midday, towards the crossing, and saw a bridge trundling past (it had been lurking along the road).

Since then it's been all go, with a BIG crane's minders setting out the load spreading under its stabilisers. That's just for a lift off the lorries and onto a little train; there are two more cranes hanging about for the lifts onto the piers.
Do you know if they're doing the entire length of the bridge span this weekend?  I’m assuming from Google satellite view it is far too long overall to be delivered down one track in a pre-assembled length, ie there’ll presumably be two half bridges that will take the two separate routes at the junction? 

IYSWIM.  Huh

Paul

stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2024, 17:43:59 »

Do you know if they're doing the entire length of the bridge span this weekend?  I’m assuming from Google satellite view it is far too long overall to be delivered down one track in a pre-assembled length, ie there’ll presumably be two half bridges that will take the two separate routes at the junction? 

IYSWIM.  Huh

Paul

It came in two halves, still sitting waiting for the crane crew to sort themselves out. They are not that heavy, at 20t each, but still need a 300t crane because of the reach. Currently the crew are finishing assembling the sling, in the road just by my house!
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2024, 15:42:50 »

Someone has been out videoing the job overnight:
https://youtu.be/WJYGG0YmMSg?si=iENoPPBltsQsff_B
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2024, 16:35:54 »

Someone has been out videoing the job overnight:
https://youtu.be/WJYGG0YmMSg?si=iENoPPBltsQsff_B

You can see there how relaxed the crowd control was. We were only excluded from the footbridge and around the launch area during lifts of the bridge spans, and the station platforms were accessible all the time.

There was a guy with a drone doing video too.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 18:15:55 by stuving » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: