Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 21:55 25 Apr 2024
- Will Labour’s renationalisation plan make train tickets cheaper?
* Rail Britannia?
- Will Labour’s plan make train tickets cheaper?
- Labour pledges to renationalise most rail services
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

No 'On This Day' events reported for 25th Apr

Train RunningNo cancellations or delays
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 25, 2024, 22:01:30 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[233] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] access for all at Devon stations report
[41] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[28] Cornish delays
[27] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[15] Where have I been?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Non existant revenue protection  (Read 9925 times)
Btline

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2014, 19:44:28 »

I travelled the North Downs line recently, intending to use the Ranger ticket to explore the towns in the area.

Attempted to purchase one from a SWT (South West Trains) guard on the way from London to Guildford; he said he was unable to sell. (is this true?)
Ticket offices on the line where either closed, non-existent or the queues were so long I would have missed my train.

The guards on the 4 trains I used did not leave the cab once, despite lots of unmanned stations and gaps of >10 minutes between stops.

Is this a major issue, or was it a one off?
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 19:50:39 »

Whenever I've traveled on route to Gatwick, I'd always incorrectly assumed them to be DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) as I've not once seen any member of staff. I haven't been to Gatwick for 3 years now by train, but prior to that I was travelling to Gatwick every couple of months between 2005 and 2011.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 20:22:11 »

I travelled to Gatwick the other day and was sitting in first class at the back of the train.

There was a member of staff in the back cab who didn't emerge from there once except to change ends at Redhill.

They did sell one ticket - when someone walked down and knocked on the door!  Huh
tom m

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 22:16:08 »

I regularly use this line and its very rare to see the guard on the FGW (First Great Western) services, not sure about SW.

Ticket checks only seem to be done by the revenue protection rather than the guard, so it seems to be abit random
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 23:28:49 »

It's patchy, I'd say. Ticket checks are not unknown, but certainly not usual.

On the bit near Reading (which I use most) there's a natural tendency to rely on the barriers there, and not to bother. But they do sell tickets on half of the run, and some do throughout - even though from Reading to Guildford is a penalty fares zone. Some will announce as they go that buying a ticket will save time (and dealing with the excess fares office) at Reading. On reflection, I rather think that ticket-selling on the Reading half of the line is a lot rarer than it was; so presumably reliance on penalty fares is taking over.

SWT (South West Trains)? No. They announce at the start of the journey that they will be in the centre of the train, and that's where they stay.
Fourbee

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:21:16 »

It is a bit patchy in my experience, sometimes as mentioned you get the offer to sell a ticket, sometimes no appearance at all and occasionally a full check (I was in first class* at the front of a turbo the other day and got asked for my ticket).

*that has been made into standard class, but more often than not is my private saloon as people still assume it is first class!

On the subject of penalty fares, with a lot of TVMs (Ticket Vending Machine) not accepting cash payments and a lack of booking offices I really wonder whether the scheme should still be allowed to run on that section. In any case, I've have never seen anyone PF (Penalty Fare)'d and the guards are usually willing to sell a ticket (if they appear, of course and their machine is working).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:27:39 by Fourbee » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 10:51:24 »

There is a lot to be said for occasional and unpredictable time and date ticket checking (with teeth),  provided that there is always a very clear opportunity to purchase.  So I wouldn't in the the longer term worry about specific journeys where it doesn't happen.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 12:49:15 »

SWT (South West Trains)? No. They announce at the start of the journey that they will be in the centre of the train, and that's where they stay.

I'm pretty sure SWT guards on that route are what they call 'non-commercial'.  AIUI (as I understand it) they don't sell tickets, don't have machines with them, and they are only there to operate the doors;  and on non-modified 458/0s they have to be in one of the cabs as there are no control panels elsewhere in the train.

Paul
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 15:35:20 »

I am really surprised to read of the lack of ticket checks on this line.

I haven't travelled on it regularly for over a year but when I used the route on a daily basis I could count the occasions during my 2 year residence in Reigate when my ticket wasn't checked on the fingers of one hand.

I regularly used the 0634 from Reading to Reigate and the 1618 back. The TMs(resolve) would be quite thorough - especially as the afternoon service was a honeypot for students trying to travel without tickets.

My memory may be wrong but I don't remember them being DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard))

tom m

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 16:30:18 »

Its not, guard instructs the driver to close the doors with the bell system
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2014, 19:43:58 »

I'm pretty sure SWT (South West Trains) guards on that route are what they call 'non-commercial'.  AIUI (as I understand it) they don't sell tickets, don't have machines with them, and they are only there to operate the doors;  and on non-modified 458/0s they have to be in one of the cabs as there are no control panels elsewhere in the train.

Paul

Which agrees with what I thought. But then, to make us all look a little foolish, coming into Reading this afternoon (in a 450) the guard appears in carriage 1, checking tickets, Avantix (Ticket Issuing System used on board trains) on hip! After we arrived he even appeared to be selling a ticket, though he might have been using his machine to answer a query.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2014, 23:38:46 »

After we arrived he even appeared to be selling a ticket, though he might have been using his machine to answer a query.

I remember on a journey from Guildford to Reading last year that the guard was selling and checking tickets on the train and when we arrived at Reading he stood by the excess fares windows to sell more tickets for any arriving passengers that needed one.

Edited to correct quote display issues
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 23:02:47 by Surrey 455 » Logged
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2014, 00:40:51 »

After we arrived he even appeared to be selling a ticket, though he might have been using his machine to answer a query.

I remember on a journey from Guildford to Reading last year that the guard was selling and checking tickets on the train and when we arrived at Reading he stood by the excess fares windows to sell more tickets for any arriving passengers that needed one.

To clarify, I was talking about an SWT (South West Trains) train, following on from paul7755.

As I said earlier, from Guildford to Reading has penalty fares, so FGW (First Great Western) guards probably ought not to be selling tickets - but some do. Maybe they are allowing for known deficiencies in the ticket-selling facilities?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: