06:01 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
15:50 Penzance to Gloucester
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 07:38:44 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[165] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[67] Signage - not making it easy ...
[56] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[14] IETs at Melksham
[12] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[11] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Thames Valley signalling problems - big delays - July 2014  (Read 88270 times)
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: July 17, 2014, 18:55:10 »

Out of interest, how well do the customer ambassadors work with providing information during disruption at Reading/Paddington?  They were employed as a pure customer service role afterall.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 17, 2014, 19:04:18 »

Out of interest, how well do the customer ambassadors work with providing information during disruption at Reading/Paddington?  They were employed as a pure customer service role afterall.

Whenever I've asked one for travel advice, usually about expected departure times during disruption of some sort, they usually just point/look towards the screens and claim they don't know any more than that...

My experience is that they are fairly ineffective during disruptions, although in fairness they are swamped with people, but do plenty of good work helping the less well informed when it's all going to plan.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 17, 2014, 22:39:51 »

Currently sat on a stopper out of reading stopping at every signal for a couple mins each. Appears to only be affecting the relief lines as the mains are running at full line speed

Three signals on the UP relief were constantly flashing through all aspects (ie flashing red, yellow, red). 
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 17, 2014, 23:00:22 »

The Customer Ambassadors or "Ribena Girls" the latter phrase being banned as apparently there are men Ambassadors, tend to be for "meet and greet" and to priority board groups or vulnerable people.

However when the s**t hits the fan and CSL2 is declared they become pretty useless ive been told. If it isnt on the blackberry or in their little book they become bemused as super guard has said.

Oh and they are on nearly ^30k a year to walk around looking pretty.
--

The issue was that signals were flashing or bobbing. Apparently the track circuits were bobbing which were making the signals go through the sequence constantly.
Oh and Up Relief closed due to a 4th signal failing. Two track railway contingency put in place.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #79 on: July 17, 2014, 23:05:38 »

Cancellations to services between Twyford and Maidenhead
Owing to signalling problems between Twyford and Maidenhead trains have to run at reduced speed on London bound slow lines.

That would be the relief lines?  Though perhaps "slow" is more descriptive this evening!  Wink

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 17, 2014, 23:17:21 »

Owing to signalling problems between Twyford and Maidenhead trains have to run at reduced speed on London bound slow lines.

That would be the relief lines?  Though perhaps "slow" is more descriptive this evening!  Wink

You should know the Great Western has to be different. Everywhere else calls them Fast and Slow. But no GW (Great Western) has to call them main and relief.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
chrisr_75

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 17, 2014, 23:25:20 »

You should know the Great Western has to be different. Everywhere else calls them Fast and Slow. But no GW (Great Western) has to call them main and relief.

That's because they're all slow  Wink

Main slow and relief slow...  Grin
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 18, 2014, 05:48:28 »

The Customer Ambassadors or "Ribena Girls" the latter phrase being banned as apparently there are men Ambassadors, tend to be for "meet and greet" and to priority board groups or vulnerable people.

However when the s**t hits the fan and CSL2 is declared they become pretty useless ive been told. If it isnt on the blackberry or in their little book they become bemused as super guard has said.

Oh and they are on nearly ^30k a year to walk around looking pretty.
--

The issue was that signals were flashing or bobbing. Apparently the track circuits were bobbing which were making the signals go through the sequence constantly.
Oh and Up Relief closed due to a 4th signal failing. Two track railway contingency put in place.

Another outstanding performance yesterday after Monday's fiasco.........maybe the flashing signals were FGW (First Great Western)'s CE signalling to Network Rail as he promised? "Help, the railway isn't working, what shall we do?" Roll Eyes
Silver

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 18, 2014, 08:25:01 »

Further signalling problems at Hayes this morning delayed me by about 30 mins. 

This is proving to be a very bad week, my once per week average has now been blown out of the water.  We need four/five good weeks now to get it back down to that....
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 18, 2014, 09:06:29 »

This is proving to be a very bad week, my once per week average has now been blown out of the water.  We need four/five good weeks now to get it back down to that....

Track circuit failure at Airport Junction after a Connect passed through.  This results in that section of track basically showing as occupied and in turn locks the points in position.
There was also a bridge bash at Burnham this morning as well.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 18, 2014, 09:42:45 »

Track circuit failure at Airport Junction after a Connect passed through.  This results in that section of track basically showing as occupied and in turn locks the points in position.

I understand that the "bridge bash" was actually frustrated customers banging their heads against the bridge in frustration after the appalling service this week continuing this morning!  Grin

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 18, 2014, 10:19:13 »

I understand that the "bridge bash" was actually frustrated customers banging their heads against the bridge in frustration after the appalling service this week continuing this morning!  Grin

It's quite possible.  Hopefully the run of failures has ended on the GWML (Great Western Main Line) now and gone somewhere else!  Liverpool Street got it bad this morning, a tree down on the overheads, a points failure at Liverpool and a lightning strike damaging signalling equipment at Romford!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #87 on: July 18, 2014, 10:26:03 »

And another lightening strike twixt Beaconsfield & Gerrards Cross on Chiltern
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 18, 2014, 10:47:32 »

And another lightening strike twixt Beaconsfield & Gerrards Cross on Chiltern

I don't now why, but signalling equipment seems to be very susceptible to lightning nowadays.  I'm sure it never use to be.
Visoflex

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 18, 2014, 11:52:35 »

Does anyone know what the problem was at Twyford?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: