Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
19:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
16:50 Penzance to Cardiff Central
18:38 Barnstaple to Exmouth
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
Delayed
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:48 Exeter St Davids to Exmouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 21:26 Bristol Temple Meads to Cardiff Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 20:28:00 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[303] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[71] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[69] BBC Great Coastal Railway Journeys - A Correction
[69] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[65] Okehampton
[51] First tour train of season

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18
  Print  
Author Topic: Thames Valley signalling problems - big delays - July 2014  (Read 88215 times)
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: July 28, 2014, 09:39:41 »

Bit late to the party here, but my trip home Friday wasn't as bad as I anticipated. There was a couple of massive flashes in the office around 15:00 on Friday, so as soon as my meeting finished I took a look at the trains and saw the strike at Twyford. I set off to the station usual time, but didn't rush.

About 16:35, the 16:07 to Oxford arrived. CIS (Customer Information System) said it didn't stop (I think it was expecting the freight train that comes through at that time!), but it did and several hopped off. I jumped on, finding it surprisingly empty. The driver came on to say sorry for all the confusion, and confirmed she would be all stops to Oxford, and explained the issue at Twyford, that she was waiting for Swindon to wave her through the signals and that when we left Maidenhead we would be making two more signal stops before Twyford, and would be running slow.

Not sure what time we left, guess it was maybe 16:40. Sure enough we stopped as detailed, and all the time she was constantly updating us on what was happening, apologising for the temperature in the carriages and even telling us when we reached the damage signal that NR» (Network Rail - home page) were working on!

As we arrived at Reading she announced we would be terminating, but the service on platform 12 was now the stopper to Oxford.

I thanked her as we got off, for all the updates and she again apologised for the temperature - which wasn't that bad to be fair - but I joked it could have been worse, it could have been one of the services with "air conditioning", to which she found amusing.

Arrived at platform 12 and hopped on the train and we pulled out around 17:30 - and was smooth sailing from there.

So all in all, for me, wasn't too bad this time.

Gotta say, all the updates from the driver did make a huge difference, and the fact she seemed quite chirpy probably helped. I mean she was apologising about the weather at one point, saying there really was a storm, not that you'd know it looking outside now!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #166 on: July 28, 2014, 10:11:08 »

iii) what is the contingency plan to ensure that customers are looked after/enabled to get home in these circumstances

Strictly, they aren't required to have one to get pax home after an Act of God.

If the damage was such that no trains were able to run, you'd have to get yourself home. Or stay over at your expense. Just something to bear in mind.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 28, 2014, 10:26:10 »

iii) what is the contingency plan to ensure that customers are looked after/enabled to get home in these circumstances

Strictly, they aren't required to have one to get pax home after an Act of God.

If the damage was such that no trains were able to run, you'd have to get yourself home. Or stay over at your expense. Just something to bear in mind.

Fair point, but it will be interesting to know if they have a plan, or whether it's simply a case of "sorry folks, you're on your own" as it seemed to be on Friday - at the VERY least IMHO (in my humble opinion) it should consist of having sufficient staff available to signpost alternative means of transport and direct customers to it, organising transport for vulnerable customers, arranging taxi shares etc............this doesn't need to be specifically customer service staff, others should be able to help, you don't/shouldn't need specific "customer relations" training to be able to help out in a crisis although I'm sure that some will wave this flag......no reason why managers and other office staff can't be included in this......when it's all hands to the pumps.

The key is communication and information - FGW (First Great Western) are woeful at both of these at the moment.
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 28, 2014, 11:53:34 »

TG ask Hopwood these questions, he (or his lackeys) wont know the answers.

1)How many of the ribena brigade were on duty and how many were actually on the concourse and had not run away from being asked slightly hard questions.
2)How many suits were hiding in the drivers messroom who could be customer facing. (Hint its double figures).
3)What ever happened to the CATs team.
4)Why does FGW (First Great Western) continue to allow Notwork Fail to constantly disrupt customers and what is he actually doing about it.
5)Why does FGW continue to allow Notwork Fail at PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) to be utterly useless.

Remember 'customer service' staff will include the Gateline staff, ATEs, TEs, Booking office staff, Reservation labellers (who also were hiding) so is quite a broad area. I will hazard a guess you had around 16 Gateline Staff, 6 ribenas, 4 helpdesk staff, full booking office, 1 dsm on duty.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 28, 2014, 12:02:42 »

Just out of interest, Virgin Trains threatened to take legal action against Network Rail for its infrastructure related problems on the West Coast route a few years, does anyone know the outcome of it?  Was it just a PR (Public Relations) stunt by Virgin or were they effectively silenced and that's why we have the agreement that no TOC (Train Operating Company) can't publicly slate Network Rail?  Either way it seemed to go quiet.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #170 on: July 28, 2014, 12:07:43 »

Can't remember why, but I do remember a press piece saying that Virgin had cancelled the legal action
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 28, 2014, 13:23:26 »

Answering the earlier post by CLPGMS about 'how intending passengers got home' in my case it was taxi. I was travelling from Richmond to Great Malvern on Friday evening. My SW train from Richmond was around 15 minutes late arriving into Reading just before 7pm. Then I took the 1910 Cross Country to Oxford; that left around 10 minutes late, but due to Track Circuit issues at Radley,took around 45 minutes to Oxford. I was hoping that the 1922 ex Pad might have started at Oxford, but at around 8.20pm, it was announced that this service would be a road replacement service, and pax for the Cotswold Line should make their way to the front of the station. There were 30 or so pax milling around and we were all directed into taxis to various destinations. So I shared a taxi with 2 others to Worcester, but there were others wanting to go as far as Hereford. If the Cross Country train had been on time, I would have been tempted to take it to New Street and then connect with London Midland to Malvern. However Cross Country were NOT accepting FGW (First Great Western) tickets which was a bit depressing under the circumstances. (London Midland were, so full marks to them).
insider

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 28, 2014, 13:30:56 »

A friend in the control centre has sent me this, this is all the CSL2 messages that were sent internally from end to start(sorry its upside down>>read from bottom up to male sense)

It should also be noted that all the info shown, was also displayed on Journeycheck and was publicaly available, only internal text is under the internal info heading on each message.

UPDATED   21    CORE MSG 19 (CSL2 ACTIVATED STEADY STATE)-RED: Lightning having damaged equip...   26/07/14
01:48   

Following lightning having damaged equipment between Reading and Slough all lines have now reopened.

Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations are returning to normal but some services may still be revised at short notice. Disruption is expected until 13:30 26/07.

Customer Advice:
Owing to the major disruption during Friday afternoon / evening, following the damage sustained by signalling equipment due to a lightning strike, many of our trains are not in the correct position for us to be able to operate a full service on Saturday morning. Individual train service alterations will be advised in due course.

Any customers holding tickets dated for Friday 25th July who were unable to make their intended journey may use tickets dated for Friday on Saturday 26th July 2014 instead.

Hide More Information

Further Information:

An update will follow within the next 5 hours.

Posted By:3070   No.:1313085358   Expiry Time:26/07/14 13:30   

UPDATED   20    CORE MSG 18 (CSL2 ACTIVATED STEADY STATE)-RED: Lightning having damaged equip...   25/07/14
22:58   

Owing to lightning having damaged equipment between Reading and Slough fewer trains are able to run on all lines.

Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 30 mins or revised at short notice. Disruption is expected until 03:30 26/07.

Hide More Information

Further Information:

An update will follow within the next 1 hour.

Today's tickets will be valid for travel on Saturday 26th July.

Internal Information:

Lightning strike at Ruscombe. Servere disruption to be expected on all routes until close of service.

Posted By:3070   No.:1313085358   Expiry Time:26/07/14 03:30   

UPDATED   19    CORE MSG 17 (CSL2 ACTIVATED STEADY STATE)-RED: Lightning having damaged equip...   25/07/14
21:56   

Owing to lightning having damaged equipment between Reading and Slough fewer trains are able to run on all lines.

Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed at short notice. An estimate for the resumption of normal services will be provided as soon as the problem has been fully assessed.

Customer Advice:
Chiltern Railways services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
Cross Country services are conveying passengers between Oxford and Banbury in both directions until further notice.
Underground services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
Arrangements previously made with First Berkshire Buses 1B & 2 Slough (Bus Station) - Burnham, First Berkshire Bus 75 Maidenhead - Taplow - Burnham - Slough (Bus Station) - Langley and First Berkshire Bus 76 Burnham - Slough (Bus Station) - Langley to convey passengers have now been withdrawn.
Cross Country services are conveying passengers between Bristol Temple Meads and Plymouth in both directions until further notice.
Arriva Trains Wales services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
Arriva Trains Wales and Virgin Trains services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.

Hide More Information

Further Information:

Internal Information:

Lightning strike at Ruscombe. All trains at a stand in the area.

Please note: passengers can not travel via London Waterloo due to major signalling problems.

Update at 21:56: Temporary block working withdrawn

Update at 20:11: Trains are running normally on down main and down relief. Temporary block working on up relief. Talking past TR77 on up main.

Update at 19:52: A line block of 15 minutes will be taken so techs can investigate.
Todays tickets will be valid for travel on Saturday 26th July.

Update at 18:30: Signaller running normally on the down main except talking passed TR6 Ruscombe.
TBW (Temporary Block Working) in place on the up relief at 18:20

Update at 18:08: 4 buses ordered for Reading so far none available
6 buses ordered for Twyford/Maidenhead so far only 2 abvailable.

Update at 17:48: Temporary block working to be in place at 18:00.

Update at 16:05: Temporary block working in place in 1 hour.

Update at 15:44: A reduced service will be in place.

Update at 15:39: Reading MOM (Mobile Operations Manager) en route.

Posted By:3070   No.:1313085358   Expiry Time:26/07/14 02:00   

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   18    CORE MSG 16 (CSL2 ACTIVATED STEADY STATE)-RED: Lightning having damaged equip...   25/07/14
21:08   

Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled or delayed at short notice. An estimate for the resumption of normal services will be provided as soon as the problem has been fully assessed.

Customer Advice:
Chiltern Railways services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
Cross Country services are conveying passengers between Oxford and Banbury in both directions until further notice.
Underground services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
First Berkshire Buses 1B & 2 Slough (Bus Station) - Burnham, First Berkshire Bus 75 Maidenhead - Taplow - Burnham - Slough (Bus Station) - Langley and First Berkshire Bus 76 Burnham - Slough (Bus Station) - Langley services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
Cross Country services are conveying passengers between Bristol Temple Meads and Plymouth in both directions until further notice.
Arriva Trains Wales services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.
Arriva Trains Wales and Virgin Trains services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.

Hide More Information

Further Information:

Internal Information:

Please note: passengers can not travel via London Waterloo due to major signalling problems.

Update at 20:11: Trains are running normally on down main and down relief. Temporary block working on up relief. Talking past TR77 on up main.

Update at 19:52: A line block of 15 minutes will be taken so techs can investigate.

Update at 18:30: Signaller running normally on the down main except talking passed TR6 Ruscombe.
TBW in place on the up relief at 18:20

Update at 15:39: Reading MOM en route.

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   17    CORE MSG 15 (CSL2 ACTIVATED STEADY STATE)-RED: Lightning having damaged equip...   25/07/14
20:13   

Impact:

Customer Advice:
First Berkshire Buses 1B & 2 Slough (Bus Station) - Burnham, First Berkshire Bus 75 Maidenhead - Taplow - Burnham - Slough (Bus Station) - Langley and First Berkshire Bus 76 Burnham - Slough (Bus Station) - Langley services are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice.

Hide More Information

Further Information:

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   16    CORE MSG 14 (CSL2 ACTIVATED STEADY STATE)-RED: Lightning having damaged equip...   25/07/14
19:54   

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Further Information:

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   15    CORE MSG 13 (CSL2 ACTIVATED STEADY STATE)-RED: Lightning having damaged equip...   25/07/14
19:20   

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Further Information:

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   14    CORE MSG 12 (CSL2 ACTIVATED STEADY STATE)-RED: Lightning having damaged equip...   25/07/14
18:30   

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Further Information:

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   13    CORE MSG 11 (CSL2 ACTIVATED STEADY STATE)-RED: Lightning having damaged equip...   25/07/14
18:09   

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Further Information:

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   12    CORE MSG 10 (CSL2 ACTIVATED STEADY STATE)-RED: Lightning having damaged equip...   25/07/14
17:48   

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Further Information:

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   11    CORE MSG 9 (CSL2 ACTIVATED STEADY STATE)-RED: Lightning having damaged equipm...   25/07/14
17:04   

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Further Information:

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   10    CORE MSG 8 (CSL2 ACTIVATED)-RED: Lightning having damaged equipment Reading -...   25/07/14
16:51   

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   9    CORE MSG 7 (CSL2 ACTIVATED)-RED: Lightning having damaged equipment Reading -...   25/07/14
16:36   

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   8    CORE MSG 6 (CSL2 ACTIVATED)-RED: Lightning having damaged equipment Reading -...   25/07/14
16:20   

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   7    CORE MSG 5 (CSL2 ACTIVATED)-RED: Lightning having damaged equipment Reading -...   25/07/14
16:05   

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   6    CORE MSG 4 (CSL2 ACTIVATED)-RED: Lightning having damaged equipment Reading -...   25/07/14
16:00   

Owing to lightning having damaged equipment between Reading and Slough all lines are affected.

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   5    CORE MSG 3 (CSL2 ACTIVATED)-RED: Lightning having damaged equipment Reading -...   25/07/14
15:54   

Owing to lightning having damaged equipment between Reading and Slough all lines are affected.

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   4    CORE MSG 2 (CSL2 ACTIVATED)-RED: Lightning having damaged equipment Reading -...   25/07/14
15:50   

Impact:

Customer Advice:

Hide More Information

Internal Information:

Show full message Show full message Hide messageHide message       UPDATED   3    CORE MSG 1 (CSL2 ACTIVATED)-RED: Lightning having damaged equipment Reading -...   25/07/14
15:45   

Impact:

Hide More Information

Internal Information:

Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 28, 2014, 19:36:25 »

For those who like pretty pictures with a high scientific content, the Met Office now has quite a lot of stuff about last winter, including report called The Recent Storms and Floods in the UK (United Kingdom). This says quite clearly that none of the storms, nor general amount of rain, was exceptional; it was the persistence of the weather type wot did it. And when addressing the question of whether this is an aspect of climate change, the answer is that "there is now some emerging evidence".

What is true irrespective of that "climate change" label is that warm air holds more moisture, and there has been a short-term warming locally (1^C in the last 30 years). That increase in humidity is quite rapid - 6-7% per ^C.  That provides more rain, but also more latent heat of evaporation of water, which powers the steam engine that drives storms. So we expect a bit more rain and storminess, but that comes on top of something very variable.

Did anyone see the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) programme "Cloud Lab"?  One of their "discoveries", was that the world's effort to reduce CO2 and pollution levels is causing higher ocean temperatures as clouds are cleaner and more sun gets through.  This then feeds stronger hurricanes and storms.  (Granted they were looking at Florida/New Orleans and across the US, but was quite fascinating and questioned the standard climate change beliefs too..)  I believe it's still available on iPlayer for a couple more days.

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 28, 2014, 20:05:03 »

Did anyone see the BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page) programme "Cloud Lab"?  One of their "discoveries", was that the world's effort to reduce CO2 and pollution levels is causing higher ocean temperatures as clouds are cleaner and more sun gets through. 

Not CO2 - that's "clean" pollution - the effect is caused by dust, smoke, etc. The observation is not new of course; there are all those severe global cold spells in history due to volcanic dust. This is just new measurements showing an effect from the much smaller man-made sources. People have even suggested generating huge clouds of such smoke as a way of reducing global warming, though the idea is not exactly popular.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 29, 2014, 00:49:34 »

I've been playing around with reformatting the Realtime Trains data for last Friday so as to show clearly what ran and what didn't. Below is (I hope) a full list of trains due or actually arriving at Reading from Paddington, during the period when trains were being affected. It shows the two Oxford trains that were cancelled at Reading (2N46 and 2N48), and also the trains started at Reading (as "Cancel to RDG(resolve)") though without times. From midnight trains ran pretty much to timetable.

It is striking how few trains got got through the "dead" area at Ruscombe. I can't help thinking that even with the current procedures it should be possible to do better than that.

ID       Destination                      Plan      Act Arr         
1D43     Oxford                           15:22     15:48           
2N44     Oxford                           15:21     15:20           
1C19     Bristol Temple Meads             15:25     16:05           
1C86     Penzance                         15:31     16:20           
2R45     Terminates here                  15:43     16:39           
1B48     Cardiff Central                  15:41     17:05           
1K68     Bedwyn                           15:47     16:38           
2N46     Terminates here (cancelled)      15:50     16:56           
1D45     Oxford                           15:51     17:19           
1C20     Bristol Temple Meads             15:55     17:45           
1G47     Cheltenham Spa                   16:00     Cancel         
1B51     Swansea                          16:10     Cancel         
2R47     Terminates here                  16:15     Cancel         
1W47     Worcester Shrub Hill             16:17     Cancel         
2N48     Terminates here (cancelled)      16:23     17:21           
1C21     Bristol Temple Meads             16:25     Cancel         
1C87     Penzance                         16:31     Cancel         
1B55     Swansea                          16:42     Cancel         
2R49     Terminates here                  16:46     Cancel         
1K74     Bedwyn                                     Cancel to RDG   
2M50     Banbury                          16:51     Cancel         
1D49     Oxford                           16:52     Cancel         
1C22     Taunton                          16:55     18:26           
1C88     Plymouth                         17:00     18:08           
1B59     Swansea                          17:10     17:48           
2R51     Terminates here                  17:18     Cancel         
1D51     Oxford                           17:19     Cancel         
2N52     Oxford                           17:21     Cancel         
1C23     Bristol Temple Meads                       Cancel to RDG   
1C89     Penzance                         17:28     Cancel         
1C90     Bristol Temple Meads             17:37     Cancel         
1B63     Carmarthen                       17:40     Cancel         
2R53     Terminates here                  17:46     Cancel         
1W07     Hereford                         17:49     Cancel         
1D53     Oxford                           17:54     Cancel         
1C24     Taunton                          17:54     Cancel         
2R54     Terminates here                  18:00     Cancel         
1C91     Newton Abbot                     17:57     18:25           
1G60     Cheltenham Spa                   Pass           Cancel         
1B69     Swansea                          18:10     Cancel         
1D57     Oxford                           18:14     Cancel         
1W59     Worcester Shrub Hill             18:20     Cancel         
1C25     Bristol Temple Meads             18:24     Cancel         
2M56     Banbury                          18:26     Cancel         
1C92     Penzance                         18:28     18:48           
1J93     Frome                            18:35     Cancel         
2R59     Terminates here                  18:44     Cancel         
1B76     Swansea                          18:39     Cancel         
1W08     Hereford                         18:49     Cancel         
1C26     Weston-super-Mare                18:53     19:06           
1D61     Oxford                           18:56     Cancel         
2R61     Terminates here                  19:00     Cancel         
1C94     Plymouth                                   Cancel to RDG   
1B79     Swansea                          19:10     19:24           
2N62     Oxford                           19:13     Cancel         
1G70     Cheltenham Spa                   19:18     Cancel         
1D67     Oxford                           19:21     Cancel         
2N64     Oxford                           19:26     Cancel         
1C27     Bristol Temple Meads             19:24     Cancel         
1C95     Penzance                         19:28     19:38           
1D68     Oxford                           19:41     Cancel         
2R69     Terminates here                  19:45     Cancel         
1B81     Swansea                          19:46     Cancel         
1W09     Hereford                         19:51     Cancel         
1D69     Oxford                           19:56     Cancel         
1C28     Weston-super-Mare                19:55     20:13           
2R71     Terminates here                  20:00     Cancel         
2R73     Terminates here                  20:13     Cancel         
1C96     Plymouth                         20:09     20:26           
1G88     Worcester Shrub Hill             20:18     Cancel         
1M73     Banbury                          20:21     Cancel         
2N74     Oxford                           20:25     Cancel         
1C29     Bath Spa                         20:24     20:36           
1B88     Swansea                          20:40     20:51           
2R77     Terminates here                  20:45     Cancel         
2N78     Oxford                                     Cancel to RDG   
1W75     Great Malvern                    20:52     Cancel         
1R10     Terminates here                  21:00     Cancel         
1C98     Exeter St Davids                 20:59     21:23           
2R79     Terminates here                  21:13     21:22           
1C31     Bristol Temple Meads             21:11     21:12           
1D77     Oxford                           21:20     Cancel         
2N80     Oxford                                     Cancel to RDG   
2R81     Terminates here                  21:43     21:53           
1B91     Swansea                          21:39     22:03           
1D79     Oxford                           21:50     Cancel         
2N82     Oxford                                     Cancel to RDG   
2R83     Terminates here                  22:14     22:20           
1C32     Exeter St Davids                 22:09     22:13           
1W81     Worcester Shrub Hill             22:23     22:32           
2N84     Oxford                           22:30     Cancel         
1C33     Bristol Temple Meads             22:39     22:38           
2R85     Terminates here                  22:45     22:53           
1P85     London Paddington                          Cancel to RDG   
1D83     Oxford                                     Cancel to RDG   
2N86     Oxford                                     Cancel to RDG   
1B94     Swansea                          23:09     23:12           
1D85     Oxford                           23:27     00:26           
2N90     Oxford                           23:40     Cancel         
2R91     Terminates here                  23:59     Cancel         
1D87     Oxford                           00:04     Cancel         
1C36     Cardiff Central                  00:07     00:06           

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 29, 2014, 07:01:09 »

From the FGW (First Great Western) website

Sorry to our customers
We're sorry if you were caught up in the disruption on our network on Friday evening. Lightning damaged track signalling and safety equipment at Twyford, which severely affected trains into and out of Paddington into the early hours of Saturday morning.

Similar problems at other main London stations meant normal alternative travelling routes were not readily available, and Paddington station quickly filled up with customers who were unable to go any further.

The ongoing nature of the problem meant it was difficult for us to give real time updates, and the number of people waiting at the station meant trains that did run filled up very quickly.

While we got the vast majority of customers to where they needed to go, services were extremely cramped and trains were heavily delayed. Volunteers from across the business, and staff who were on leave, or had finished for the day came back into work to help keep customers moving.

I am sorry to say that, although we did our best under challenging circumstances, this wasn^t good enough.

We will be writing directly to as many customers affected as possible over the coming days.
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 29, 2014, 09:16:58 »

So what are the odds on this being a Void Day?

Personally I think it counts, but history tells me that I have a lower threshold for these things than FGW (First Great Western)...
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 29, 2014, 09:33:03 »

I've been playing around with reformatting the Realtime Trains data for last Friday so as to show clearly what ran and what didn't.

Thanks very much for that, it seems to prove that no class 2 trains (i.e. stoppers) from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) made it through to RDG(resolve) between 17.21 and 21.22 which tallies with my own research on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) in looking at Down departures from MAI (Maidenhead station) and TWY (Twyford station). So dear FGW (First Great Western), how the blinkin' hell was I meant to get to TWY without using a taxi???

So what are the odds on this being a Void Day?

Last February we did get a week's refund on our season tickets because of the flooding even though it was an 'act of God'. Any hope of that sort of thing happening again this time I wonder?
Worcester_Passenger
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2014, 09:40:43 »

I'd always been led to believe that, in the Great Western universe, Isambard Kingdom was God.

Have I been misinformed?
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 18
  Print  

Jump to: