Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 15:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:47:08 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: What are you not allowed to do on the train?  (Read 24181 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2018, 21:53:35 »

Not at all....you sit there specifically to eat. Everyone. Similar to eating in a restaurant. It's what you do there

And the smells that permeate adjacent carriages? Are they not just as offensive to your delicate olfactory sense as that from food consumed in a regular carriage?  Roll Eyes

Tell you what I don't like since I quit smoking 8 years ago. Someone who smells of tobacco sitting near me. I don't make a big deal out of it though. I just understand that it's public transport, accessible to all, and provided nothing illegal is being done, I live and let live.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2018, 08:23:48 »

Consideration for your fellow human beings trumps that....

Scratching your (bare) arse in public isn't illegal, but I hope you'd refrain?

Having a bare arse in public could certainly be illegal. Scratched or unscratched. Besides which, false equivalence.

And how does one determine who of their fellow passengers might be bothered by you eating a food they deem nasally offensive? So many  variables, so many foods.

If you have a problem with what others are eating then you move.

Oooooooooooooooooooooos gonna scratch it?  Wink
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2018, 08:57:00 »

I don't think many would agree with you.

If you don't like *that* equivalence, how about watching/listening to video/music either without headphones or so loud that headphones still leak the sound? Perfect equivalence. You reckon that this is acceptable & would suggest those affected move?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2018, 10:05:09 »

It's an equivalence of sorts but it's also 'whataboutery'. Shifting the argument to another topic. Consuming food on a train isn't illegal. It doesn't and shouldn't require meeting some 'consideration' threshold. People eat because they have to, not because they are inconsiderate.

Playing videos or listening to music without headphones can be illegal on a train. So it is in fact a false equivalence.

Railway Byelaw 7:

7. Music, sound, advertising and carrying on a trade
(1) Except with written permission from an Operator no person on the railway shall, to the annoyance of any person:
(i) sing; or
(ii) use any instrument, article or equipment for the production or reproduction of sound.

<snip>

No need to move in that instance. Request they stop and/or report. The law is on your side.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2018, 10:18:48 »

It's an equivalence of sorts but it's also 'whataboutery'. Shifting the argument to another topic. Consuming food on a train isn't illegal. It doesn't and shouldn't require meeting some 'consideration' threshold. People eat because they have to, not because they are inconsiderate.

Unless on a journey of several hours, they don't *have* to eat at that precise moment, unless a medical condition (diabetes for example) requires it. It's just convenient (to them) to while away some time) while inconveniencing others. I am only referring to smelly (usually hot) convenience food, however. There's plenty that isn't, and I manage it easily.
eightonedee
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2018, 22:39:07 »

This would be fine if everyone simply used a train to go back and forth between a  9 to 5 job and home, without having any evening activities (such as community transport group meetings!) to go to after work, and at work they never have to travel to meetings by train. Many of us do not have such a lifestyle, not that I am complaining as I have a challenging job and some out of work interests that enrich my life. It would have an adverse impact on my health if I had to wait until I get home at 10pm before I could eat on a day when I am out and about on work and non-work activity. My 35 - 45 minute commute on the North Downs Line, or any journey between either Guildford or Reading and London are ideal times to "fuel" on busy days.

As others have said - why on earth ban eating on trains when there is quite an industry selling passengers food at stations of any substantial size?

grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2018, 20:52:32 »

Another article from The BBC» (British Broadcasting Corporation - home page)

Commuters applying make-up is a major source of irritation to BBC News readers who wrote in about irksome train etiquette. But what's the problem, and is it really anyone's business how passengers spend their travel time?

No-one likes being stuck on the train next to the man shouting into his mobile or opposite the woman eating raw fish.

But is applying a full face of slap between Peterborough and London King's Cross really on a par?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2019, 01:23:41 »

The Australian version ...

"passengers shaving their heads, exposing their breasts and falling asleep on strangers' shoulders"

An update from Australia - in the Daily Mail

Commuters boarding a train on Wednesday were shocked to discover a man clipping his toenails in the middle of a carriage - and leaving the discarded nails on the floor.

Video footage shows the man strip off his shoe and sock on the Melbourne train before trimming his nails with a clipper. 

The passenger bends over to get closer to his foot before walking off and leaving the trimmings for someone else to clean up.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: