11:55 Paignton to Exmouth
Delayed
06:02 Bristol Parkway to Carmarthen
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 06:54:46 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[255] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[89] You see all sorts on the bus.
[86] "Mayflower"
[80] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[56] Where have I been?
[54] Death of another bus station?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Penryn Loop  (Read 23173 times)
Tinminer

View Profile
« on: January 13, 2008, 23:54:58 »

So, it seems, after an already long wait that the much mooted Penryn passing loop will now not be re-instated in 2008.

Anyone know when it will be happening?

The A393 and A39 roads are already grid locked during the rushes, and pretty slow going through out the day.

Also, there was discussion about opening a p&r station at Tresluswell (where the A393 and A39 meet) - anyone know more about this?
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 09:33:48 »

Some information on the Treluswell Park an ride idea.

http://db.cornwall.gov.uk/ltp/marchannex4/section_613155919445.html

http://www.bertbiscoe.co.uk/archive_004_pic_desc1.htm

It would be an ideal place apart from the gradient for a Park and Ride for both Truro and Falmouth.
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 09:46:45 »

A more recent date:

Truro - Falmouth Rail Improvement. During 2006/07 the necessary documentation has been developed in conjunction with Network Rail in order to facilitate the implementation of this project for 2008/09.

Found in:

http://db.cornwall.gov.uk/LTP/APR2007/section_1102610299697.html
Tinminer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 11:18:39 »

From the Cornwall CC link it looks as if Treluswell will be in 2010 (Phase 3).

Phase 1 has already commenced, with the construction of the p&r car park at Threemilestone (outside Truro).
Tinminer

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 11:23:19 »

A more recent date:

Truro - Falmouth Rail Improvement. During 2006/07 the necessary documentation has been developed in conjunction with Network Rail in order to facilitate the implementation of this project for 2008/09.

Found in:

Isn't that referring to the Penryn loop? - the report is a bit vague.
The last Network Rail business plan indicated it would be finished in 2007/2008, and not 2008/2009, but, of course these things change!

Back to Treluswell, although the track runs parallel to the Penryn-Truro road, I can't see where a p&r car park could be installed, and, as you say, it is far from a level surface!
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 17:58:26 »

A more recent date:

Found in:

The last Network Rail business plan indicated it would be finished in 2007/2008, and not 2008/2009, but, of course these things change!

Back to Treluswell, although the track runs parallel to the Penryn-Truro road, I can't see where a p&r car park could be installed, and, as you say, it is far from a level surface!

The reason for the delay in the Penryn scheme is funding.  As can be seen from the link posted by Far West, the scheme is mostly being funded by sources outside the railway and the funding wasn't in place when Network Rail needed to press the button to get it done last Autumn.  One of those things.

The funding still isn't quite there but it's looking very promising - Cornwall County Council, the prime movers of the scheme, are still extremely committed so I would expect the work to happen by the end of March next year.

I'm really looking forward to the new half-hourly service sometime in 2009.

Richard Burningham
Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership

Tinminer

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 18:58:03 »

Thanks for clarifying that Richard.
Tinminer

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 19:05:31 »

Some information on the Treluswell Park an ride idea.

http://www.bertbiscoe.co.uk/archive_004_pic_desc1.htm

Cllr Bert Biscoe also mentions proposals for p&r at Chiverton Cross (near to  the roundabout/A390/A30 jct) & Roseland (for St. Mawes), which I presume be near Probus.

Both these, of course, are on the Cornish mainline, with the disadvantage that two extra stops would already slow down what already lengthy journey times.

While I could see potential for Treluswell, and it being easily accommodated with the proposed 2tph on the Maritime Line, I cannot see it working on the Cornish mainline.

What do others think?
FarWestJohn

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 10:42:21 »

The Chiverton Cross/Threemilestone P & R is at present being constructed and is for buses.

The P & R east of Truro at Probus would also be buses.

The only P & R that will use rail that is presently under consideration is the Treluswell idea on the Falmouth branch. This would presumably be somewhere near to the village of Ponsanooth.
Lee
Transport Scholar

GBR - The Emperor's New Rail Network

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 11:33:38 »

A more recent date:

Found in:

The reason for the delay in the Penryn scheme is funding.  As can be seen from the link posted by Far West, the scheme is mostly being funded by sources outside the railway and the funding wasn't in place when Network Rail needed to press the button to get it done last Autumn.  One of those things.

The funding still isn't quite there but it's looking very promising - Cornwall County Council, the prime movers of the scheme, are still extremely committed so I would expect the work to happen by the end of March next year.

I'm really looking forward to the new half-hourly service sometime in 2009.

Richard Burningham
Devon & Cornwall Rail Partnership

FGW (First Great Western) have also earmarked the Class 153 unit that used to run the Southampton-Westbury shuttle services (before SWT (South West Trains) introduced new services south of Salisbury in December 2007) for use on the proposed extra Falmouth line services. (see e-mail below, 20/10/2007) :

Lee

We have been able to renew the unit lease from December as refresh cover and then nominally for the Falmouth scheme.  NB the funding for both the unit and the operating costs of the WSB» (Westbury - next trains)-SOU shuttle has *not* been retained.

Regards,

Andrew Griffiths
Regional Manager, Central (Severn & Solent)
First Great Western

Vous devez ĂȘtre impitoyable, parce que ces gens sont des salauds - https://looka.com/s/78722877
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 22:43:20 »

The point work for the loop at Penryn has arrived at Truro yard, according to a Network rail source, the whole project has been brought FORWARD!! work to start this autumn apparently!
Andy

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 23:17:38 »

Great news. The phrase "Truro yard" brought back memories of how it used to be...  Cry
Conner

08436 at Corfe Castle on the Swanage Railway

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 07:52:26 »

This Autumn, along time considering it is already there, I suppose they can't do it in the height of summer.
vacman

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 11:27:39 »

This Autumn, along time considering it is already there, I suppose they can't do it in the height of summer.
No, it wouldn't be wise at all to close Cornwalls busiest branch in the height of summer!!!
swlines

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 11:52:15 »

No, it wouldn't be wise at all to close Cornwalls busiest branch in the height of summer!!!
That means they'll probably close it in the second week of August then.  Angry
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: