Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Southampton Central to Bristol Temple Meads
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:05:18 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Reopening of Kemble to Cirencester Branch Line (merged topic, ongoing discussion)  (Read 33869 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2016, 20:07:52 »

That would be an all-new line (albeit a rather good one) - Northleach never had a railway station. The line north from Cirencester Watermoor went to Chedworth, Andoversford, and Cheltenham: at Andoversford, there was a junction to Bourton, Stow and Kingham, and thence to Chipping Norton and Banbury.
An interesting view I think the GWR (Great Western Railway) would have put it as:

The line north from Cirencester Watermoor went to Chedworth, and joined the Cheltenham to Banbury (via, Bourton, Stow and Kingham and Chipping Norton) at Andoversford.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 11:35:11 »

Plans in motion to bring new trainline to Cirencester

http://www.wiltsglosstandard.co.uk/news/14479243.Plans_in_motion_to_bring_new_trainline_to_Cirencester

THE capital of the Cotswolds may soon have its first train link in 50 years.

Early plans are afoot to reopen the defunct line between Cirencester and Kemble, serviced by an ultra-modern, eco-friendly train.

Cirencester's Mayor Cllr Mark Harris is spearheading the innovative project along with Richard and Jane Gunner, of Whiteway Farm, to lay 5km of track from the commuter station to the edge of the proposed Chesterton development.

At a Cotswold District Council (CDC) cabinet meeting in April, Cllr Harris and Kemble councillor Tony Berry laid out the vision to fellow members, saying a car park could be laid under electricity pylons in Cirencester and a regular bus route could ferry passengers to the town centre.

They explained the proposal was being driven by Warwick University, among others, where researchers were keen to test a new driverless ^very light train^ train it is developing.

It is hoped funding could come from county business promoter GFrist LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about), the EU» (European Union - about) or other funding bodies.

Cllr Harris told the Standard that proposals were in their early stages but if everything went to plan trains could be whistling along the track in three to five years.

^We^re lucky that it is already very flat, though there is still a lot of work to do, including putting up a bridge over the Kemble road,^ he said.

^But it would reduce the need for parking, reduce cars on the road, and allow people in Cirencester to get to places like Gloucester and Stroud much more easily.^

Around 1,700 more travel in to Cirencester every day than travel out, creating congestion on the roads and pressure on parking.

A new train line with carriages able to fit around 100 people could ease these problems, while giving commuters a fast link to London.

Cirencester station was closed as part of the Beeching Report in the 1960s, along with thousands of smaller stations across the country deemed ^unprofitable^. The former station in Sheep Street was one of the 2,128 which closed.

Mayor Harris and the Gunners are meeting with the team from Warwick University and Geoffrey Clifton Brown to discuss the idea. He hopes a cycle track could accompany the line if plans go ahead.

The move received tentative support from CDC deputy leader Nicholas Parsons who said it was ^an interesting concept^.

Many other other groups in Cirencester have also voiced their support for the project.

They hope the move will bring down the Cotswolds^ carbon footprint while taking cars off the road.

To find out more about the project go to cirentrain.org.uk.
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 13:56:49 »

Having the landowner in favour has to be a good sign, though I can't actually find Whiteway Farm on a map. Nevertheless, it does sound more than a little... experimental. 

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
Stroud Valleys

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2016, 14:03:40 »

Its cheaper to run a bus service.

If the council provide the funds for a 6 month trial, matching whatever proposed timetable for the proposed link, lets see how many would use the service.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 14:18:22 »

though I can't actually find Whiteway Farm on a map.  

I think that may be poor journalism. If you download the scheme document, its authors are from Whiteway House, The Whiteway - which is a road off the A417 to the NE of Ciren (i.e. not particularly near the scheme itself...)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 14:33:26 »

Its cheaper to run a bus service.

If the council provide the funds for a 6 month trial, matching whatever proposed timetable for the proposed link, lets see how many would use the service.

Our evidence from the TransWilts is that only a small proportion of people who would use a train would use a bus, and that it's not practical to run a bus to train times .... by the time the bus reaches its destination on the first run of the day, the train would be halfway back to where it started.

My comment isn't about Kemble to Cirencester links - not something I've studied - but just to suggest that a trial bus service wouldn't map without fudge factors onto a train service, and those fudge factors would dominate the results to the degree that the results would be highly questionable.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2016, 14:46:27 »

There are already bus services from Cirencester to Kemble (93, 855 and 881 from three different operators). I have no knowledge of how well used these are and how well they connect with the rail services from Kemble.

Presumably the biggest bonus of the proposed scheme is that there will be plentiful car parking at the Cirencester end which may well not be the case with the current bus services. Parking in Cirencester does, in my limited experience, seem to require a second mortgage!
Bmblbzzz
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2016, 14:47:31 »

though I can't actually find Whiteway Farm on a map.  

I think that may be poor journalism. If you download the scheme document, its authors are from Whiteway House, The Whiteway - which is a road off the A417 to the NE of Ciren (i.e. not particularly near the scheme itself...)
When poor journalism meets assumptions on the part of the reader, the result is error.  Embarrassed

I did find a Railway Covert though.  Cool
http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=400962&Y=199229&A=Y&Z=115

Waiting at Pilning for the midnight sleeper to Prague.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2016, 07:05:18 »

Latest discussions in part of Kemble car park thread at http://www.firstgreatwestern.info/coffeeshop/index.php?topic=462.msg195131#msg195131

Also from the Wilts and Glousester standard

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2016, 10:32:37 »

Very interesting picture. What's the unit? Looks like a single car Desiro/ Talent/Flirt?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2016, 10:49:19 »

Very interesting picture. What's the unit? Looks like a single car Desiro/ Talent/Flirt?

I don't know what it is.   It says "St Erth for St Ives". I haven't been that far down for many years ... thought it was still mostly 150s  Grin

patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2016, 11:06:38 »

I believe it's a proposed VLR (Very Light Rail) vehicle. Details here.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2016, 21:44:07 »

Does anybody know anything about this?

https://www.facebook.com/?ref=tn_tnmn
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2016, 22:27:14 »

The Facebook log in page?

Or, if already logged in, the top of one's timeline?

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Oberon

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2016, 08:25:18 »

Sorry - this was a story from the Wilts & Gloucester Standard newspaper: -

"EARLY plans to bring a new railway line into Cirencester are steaming ahead after a meeting with top government officials.

The capital of the Cotswolds was buzzing with excitement last week after the Standard broke the news that new track could be laid along the line to Kemble, opening Cirencester to the national rail network for the first time since 1964.

Mayor Mark Harris and Richard and Jane Gunner, of Whiteway Farm, are forging forward with the proposal which would see an ultra-modern, eco-friendly train running the 5km from station to station.

Mayor Harris, who was elected for a second term last week, said he had been "inundated with messages of support for the vision".

"Everyone is incredibly excited about the prospect of reopening the Kemble to Cirencester railway line," he said.

"It is important to stress that at this stage we are looking at carrying out a feasibility study which will address issues such as: is it physically possible? How will landowners be effected? Does it have public support and, crucially, will people actually use it?"

Last Wednesday he went to London to pitch the idea to the Department of Transport in order to get funds for that feasibility study.

The "Dragon's Den-type event" included a panel of Lord Faulkner of Worcester, millionaire and train enthusiast Sir William McAlpine, senior tourism figure Debbie Wells and Mark Garnier MP (Member of Parliament)."

The phrases "steaming ahead" and "top government officials" do little to inject any optimism into this story, but who knows, somebody on the Forum might be able to shed some light on this.

Edit by FT. N! for a bit of tidying up of fonts.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 20:05:37 by Four Track, Now! » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: