06:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
06:50 Westbury to Weymouth
07:05 Westbury to Southampton Central
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 07:31:22 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[315] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[250] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[42] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[37] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[18] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[17] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Timetable Cheltenham to London - 01 Sep 14?  (Read 7793 times)
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« on: August 31, 2014, 08:40:12 »

I was on a train yesterday when the train manager announced that a new timetable would be in force between Cheltenham and London Paddington from Monday.  He warned some services would be leaving earlier than at present.

I notice the Central 1 timetable is currently unavailable to download from the FGW (First Great Western) website.

Short of ploughing through Realtimetrains to hunt out the changes, does anyone know anymore?
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 10:28:21 »

There is also the matter of WoE timetables expiring next Sunday 7th September with timetables from 8th September not yet on the website. [sigh] FGW (First Great Western) not keeping certain parts of their website up to date again.

UPDATE: This was done yesterday (5th September)

« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 07:08:01 by Timmer » Logged
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 07:11:56 »

I was on a train yesterday when the train manager announced that a new timetable would be in force between Cheltenham and London Paddington from Monday.  He warned some services would be leaving earlier than at present.

I notice the Central 1 timetable is currently unavailable to download from the FGW (First Great Western) website.

Here is a link to the new London-Cheltenham TT:
https://www.firstgreatwestern.co.uk/~/media/PDF/TicketsAndTrainTimes/TrainTimes/CurrentTimeTable/C02A745287801PR.ashx

Central 1 is now back but it's the old original version that was replaced by a newer version that included full Sunday timetables so a bit strange that the more updated version has been removed  Huh
Steve Bray

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 10:59:01 »

Seems a bit ironic that the Mo-Fr 1742 from Paddington to Cheltenham, named train "The Cheltenham Spa Express", is in fact the slowest direct train between those two places on any day of the week!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2014, 11:06:33 »

Equal slowest in the other direction as well!

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2014, 22:51:05 »

From the Gloucestershire Echo:

'Run trains from Paddington to Cheltenham later than 8.45pm' - Cheltenham MP (Member of Parliament) Martin Horwood

Martin Horwood at Cheltenham Spa station

MP Martin Horwood is calling for train chiefs to restore a service from London to Cheltenham after 9pm.

The 10.15pm First Great Western (FGW (First Great Western)) train from Paddington to Gloucester, via Swindon, used to allow commuters to transfer at Gloucester to catch the Arriva Trains Wales service on to Cheltenham at 2.15am.

However, Arriva has cancelled the service from Gloucester to Cheltenham. This means the last train from London to Cheltenham is now effectively at 8.45am.

As a result Martin Horwood, the Liberal Democrat MP for Cheltenham, has demanded that FGW put on a later train from Paddington to Cheltenham, after 9pm.

He Tweeted FGW^s corporate account: ^Why is last train back to CNM» (Cheltenham Spa - next trains) [Cheltenham] from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) [Paddington] now 20:45, 1.5hrs earlier than before? No wonder no fanfare for redoubled Swindon/Kemble line!^

He received the response: ^Hi Martin. It looks like @ArrivaTW withdrew their service to Cheltenham so there is no longer a connection, apologies.^

But that didn^t soothe Mr Horwood, who replied, copying in the Arriva Trains Wales account: ^But you serve Cheltenham from Swindon, Reading & London. This isn't good enough after huge investment. #franchise^

FGW responded: ^This was a last minute change by Arriva, and we planned the timetable around this. I'm afraid we aren't able to change it now.^

To which Mr Horwood wrote: ^So @ArrivaTW can make last minute changes but @FGW can't. Not sure my constituents will understand that. I'm using @nationalexpress tonight.^

Speaking to the Echo, Mr Horwood said: ^Now the Arriva train from Gloucester to Cheltenham is cancelled it means people like me, travelling back from London, either face the expense of staying overnight in London, or they have to get the coach. That^s what I did this week and it was very comfortable and much cheaper than the train. But there^s a more serious issue: if you factor in the time to get to Paddington and buy tickets, then having the last train at 8.45pm means people from Cheltenham cannot go to London for an evening event, or a show or something like that. And that might have a business impact. We^ve spent ^45 million of public money on doubling the Swindon to Kemble line, that^s just been completed and although I didn^t expect the service to improve overnight, I didn^t expect it to get worse straight away either.^

Train timetable websites list the 8.45pm departure from Paddington as getting to Cheltenham at 11.04pm, with a change at Swindon to another FGW train. The 10.15pm FGW train from Paddington used to arrive in Gloucester, after a change at Swindon, at 1.34 am, allowing passengers to catch an Arriva trains Wales service to Cheltenham 40 minutes later. With that service now cancelled, there is no service to Cheltenham until 6.10am.

A spokesman for FGW said: ^The doubling of the line from Swindon to Kemble doesn^t mean we are able to put on more services with the rolling stock that we have. That^s work done by Network Rail and it will allow us to maintain services when work is done to electrify the line between London and South Wales, and whoever has the franchise in 2017 might be able to improve services when the new inter-city express trains are introduced.^

A spokesman for Arriva Trains Wales said: ^The decision to cancel the Gloucester to Cheltenham section of this service was based on low customer demand and night-time engineering work being carried out by Network Rail between Gloucester and Cheltenham.^

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2014, 22:59:26 »

This means the last train from London to Cheltenham is now effectively at 8.45am.

Memo to journalist/editor.  Confusing am and pm is never a good idea when ranting about timetables...

Paul
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 23:27:47 by paul7755 » Logged
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2014, 23:33:45 »

I have found, through somewhat bitter experience on this forum, that it's perhaps best that I don't question the quality of any journalism here.  I merely post what I see.  Wink Cheesy Grin

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 06:48:37 »

I can't thinking that (with a 40 minute wait at Gloucester) it was a less than ideal service, and I note that the change was due to low passenger numbers.  Perhaps someone's already taken a quick look at extending the train from Swindon - if that didn't hit the Network Rail possessions, didn't involve extra staff shifts, and brought a handful of extra long distance journey incomes each day, who knows?   Good PR (Public Relations) for First, a better-than-before service from London (pity those from Cardiff), but they are big "if"s!

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: