Delayed
08:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
09:23 Swansea to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 11:41:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[137] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[56] Signage - not making it easy ...
[11] IETs at Melksham
[10] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[9] From Melksham to Tallinn (and back round The Baltic) by train

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Service suspension Guildford-Redhill due to rail maintenance vehicle hitting footbridge  (Read 20257 times)
adc82140

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2014, 09:00:30 »

This doesn't look good does it- hope the vehicle driver's insurance company have deep pockets.....

A vehicle has struck a bridge at Shalford, this means trains cannot run between Guildford and Redhill. Replacement transport has been requested.

A vehicle has damaged a support pier of a footbridge which crosses the line at the eastern end of Shalford station, an inspection has indicated the structure is unsafe so therefore no train service will operate.

This is expected to continue until end of service.

(National rail enquiries)

Update- found this http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surrey-news/trains-cancelled-after-rail-maintenance-7710970

Seems it was a NR» (Network Rail - home page) (or subcontractor's) vehicle- oops  Shocked
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 10:07:52 »

Seems it was a NR» (Network Rail - home page) (or subcontractor's) vehicle- oops  Shocked

Indeed, how embarrassing. When I saw the news flash, I was thinking in terms of the area next to the other end of the bridge, which is full of old shipping containers used for self-storage. But, despite the carefully vague wording, it's an own goal.

Shouldn't speculate, but ... was it actually working there? That would be bad. But if it was in transit - for example an unsecured digger arm - that sounds more like an HSE (Health and Safety Executive) prosecution.

a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:13:45 »

Someone tweeted a picture of the damaged bridge.

https://twitter.com/GetSurreyDavid/status/507075126685618176
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 10:18:36 »

And here's another thing. The National rail travel news page says:
Passengers may travel to Gatwick Airport via London. Tickets can be used on South West Trains services to London, then London Underground services to get to London Victoria. Southern trains can then be taken to Gatwick Airport.

Now, from Reading you might go via Paddington and Victoria, but using SWT (South West Trains) to Waterloo you go through Clapham Junction twice, from anywhere! Apart from peak-hour fast trains on the SWML (South Western Mail Line) (non-stop through CLJ) it's always better to change there.

I thought that was a standard routeing and fare, though that seems not to be the case now.  I've gone that way before when the direct route from Wokingham was messed up, even only slightly. It's about 1h40, or 30 minutes longer, but with more trains can work out not so bad and more reliable.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:46:17 »

That's from he GetSurrey news piece (he's their reporter). The other picture in that piece must have been taken from the "dangerous" footbridge. So how dangerous is it, and to what?
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 11:10:06 »

At Wokingham there are announcements saying get a Waterloo train and change at CLJ. And blaming a road vehicle. The guy doing them was standing at an open door onto the platform (unlike the case recently discussed elsewhere in the forum), so I was able to tell him it (whatever it was) was on the railway.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 11:14:22 »

And blaming a road vehicle.

There's an agreement between rail industry companies not to blame each other in public when things go wrong ... so I guess that's a neat way of doing it, even if not quite right in fact (i.e. wrong  Wink )

I suspect that there isn't a standard clause "This is due to damage to infrastructure during engineering works"

An update ...

Due to a vehicle striking a bridge between Guildford and Redhill all lines are blocked.

Now, let's be fair, it doesn't say road vehicle ... it's just that's an easy assumption to make, bearing in mind that's what bridge strikes are virtually every (other) time!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 12:01:31 by grahame » Logged

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
adc82140

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 21:03:13 »

Line is now closed again- the bridge is being demolished.

I'm not that familiar with Shalford station- how will the loss of this bridge affect station access?
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 21:16:47 »

I'm not that familiar with Shalford station- how will the loss of this bridge affect station access?

I wondered that and had a look at stations plans and Google maps.   As far as I can tell, there's a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) on the Guildford bound platform but not on the Redhill side.  There are platform entrances on both sides, but I can't see a particularly obvious route around via roads / footpaths.   It appears not to be in a penalty fare zone, so I think you can hop on and buy your ticket in the Redhill direction from the Train Manager?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 21:28:08 »

And here's another thing. The National rail travel news page says:
Passengers may travel to Gatwick Airport via London. Tickets can be used on South West Trains services to London, then London Underground services to get to London Victoria. Southern trains can then be taken to Gatwick Airport.

Now, from Reading you might go via Paddington and Victoria, but using SWT (South West Trains) to Waterloo you go through Clapham Junction twice, from anywhere! Apart from peak-hour fast trains on the SWML (South Western Mail Line) (non-stop through CLJ) it's always better to change there.

I thought that was a standard routeing and fare, though that seems not to be the case now.  I've gone that way before when the direct route from Wokingham was messed up, even only slightly. It's about 1h40, or 30 minutes longer, but with more trains can work out not so bad and more reliable.

I wonder whether tickets were being accepted on Gatwick Express? That option wouldn't allow for a change at Clapham Junction.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 21:43:32 »

I wondered that and had a look at stations plans and Google maps.   As far as I can tell, there's a TVM (Ticket Vending Machine) on the Guildford bound platform but not on the Redhill side.  There are platform entrances on both sides, but I can't see a particularly obvious route around via roads / footpaths.   It appears not to be in a penalty fare zone, so I think you can hop on and buy your ticket in the Redhill direction from the Train Manager?

On all my travels on that line I've never encountered a member of staff, so much so it made me believe it was a DOO (Driver-Only Operation (that is, trains which operate without carrying a guard)) route until I was recently corrected on another thread here that there are staff.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 22:24:52 »

Line is now closed again- the bridge is being demolished.

It's the public footbridge right across the station linking the houses each side - there's another smaller one in the station linking the platforms. It doesn't serve the station at all, so I guess they will have to put it back - or replace it.

It's a steel lattice girder on stone piers, so I guess they could put the span back after the piers are rebuilt. JourneyCheck says "remove the damaged footbridge", which must be a mobile crane job, though the pier may need demolishing.
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 22:42:20 »

I can't see any damage. The picture is too overexposed for me to make anything out.
stuving
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 22:45:20 »

I wonder whether tickets were being accepted on Gatwick Express? That option wouldn't allow for a change at Clapham Junction.

It wasn't listed, isn't in the current vaguer wording:
South West Trains, Southern Railway and London Underground are conveying passengers via any reasonable route until further notice. Arrangements have been made for First Great Western rail tickets to be accepted for these journeys.
and would be unusual, wouldn't it?

In any case it's not going to be "express", since changing at CLJ is so much quicker.

By the way, National Rail are still saying:
A temporary repair has been made and trains are now able to run, but delays of up to 10 minutes can be expected until the end of service.
A full repair to the bridge will take place overnight.
but then they add:
Alternative travel arrangements

Passengers may use South West Trains, Southern and London Underground services on any reasonable route.
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2014, 22:57:16 »

I can't see any damage. The picture is too overexposed for me to make anything out.

I think beyond the signal there is a pile of rubble, which i guess is the damage.

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: