21:07 Gloucester to Bristol Temple Meads
Delayed
22:00 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 20, 2024, 00:58:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[276] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[265] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[45] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[40] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[19] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[18] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 'A new platform for trainspotters' (The Telegraph 2/09/2014)  (Read 4049 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: September 05, 2014, 19:54:43 »

From The Telegraph:

With the National Railway Museum launching its first trainspotting season, the hobby is back in fashion

At 4.33pm on the southern tip of York station^s platform six, Mike Cooke raises his binoculars to focus on a distant rust-brown train rattling down the track. ^Class 60 diesel engine pulling coal,^ murmurs the 72-year-old.

It is a far from spectacular sighting, not even enough to warrant him pulling out the British Railways Locomotives 2014 handbook from his rucksack. That is reserved for the day^s big arrival: at 5.35pm another Class 60 ^ but this time pulling a steel train ^ is expected to trundle through.

As we stand on the platform surrounded by a gaggle of other trainspotters, we attract curious glances from passengers in the inter-city trains whizzing by. Cooke, thick-skinned under his Yorkshire white rose sweatshirt, shrugs it off. ^I don^t mind the quizzical looks, although once I overheard two women on a train calling us 'anoraks^. To me, sitting in front of Coronation Street every night is a more futile activity. It^s a nice outdoor pastime that hopefully doesn^t upset anybody and the railways are an absolutely huge part of our history.^

Britain^s trains might be a national obsession, but those who chronicle them have never made it into the mainstream. Trainspotting remains a much misunderstood, and occasionally maligned, hobby.

This month, however, all that is set to change. The National Railway Museum in York is launching its first-ever trainspotting season to celebrate those who are known as ^ferroequinologists^ (students of iron horses). Earlier this year, the museum issued a call to Britain^s trainspotters to come forward with their stories (some 300 responded), and archivists last week announced that they had discovered evidence of the earliest ever proponent of the hobby: a 14-year-old named Fanny Johnson, who kept a notebook of the locomotives roaring through London^s Westbourne Park in 1861. In her book, entitled ^Names of Engines on the Great Western that I have Seen^, she painstakingly recorded nameplates such as Morning Star, Firefly and Eclipse.

Prior to the museum^s discovery, trainspotting had been regarded as a largely 20th century activity, beginning with the publication of E Nesbit^s The Railway Children in 1906, and peaking in the Fifties and Sixties, before the country^s last mainline steam train service stopped in 1968. By then, the axe wielded by British Railways board chairman Dr Richard Beeching, in his restructuring of the network, had already begun to fall: a third of Britain^s 7,000 stations was eventually lost, along with 6,000 of the 18,000 existing route miles, and 70,000 jobs. With ever fewer trains to see, many spotters drifted away.

But now, after years of decline, the industry is finally attempting to catch up with a boom in passenger miles, which grew by a staggering 91 per cent between 1966 and 2012. There is an acceptance that more lines are required, be they HS2 (The next High Speed line(s)) or a resurrection of those closed by Beeching. Network Rail is spending ^38 billion on improvements over the next five years.
It has been described as the biggest investment since Victorian times, and one that is drawing trainspotters back in their droves. ^We are entering a new railway age,^ says Amy Banks, exhibition manager at the York Museum.

So spotters are updating their image as well, bolstered by promises of an improved fleet and new technology. ^We have got trainspotters who started out with notebooks; now they use iPads and digital cameras,^ explains Banks. On the East Coast mainline from London to York, I see spotters wielding smart, SLR cameras on every platform ^ particularly Doncaster, where several lines converge and there is a greater proportion of freight (passenger trains are of little interest). In truth, it is mainly older men in anoraks, but there is a growing number of twentysomethings.

Natalie Marsh, an 18-year-old studying rolling and fabrication at Doncaster College, bucks the trend as a female trainspotter. ^When I was really little, my dad used to take me out diesel spotting,^ she says. ^I go now about once or twice a month. There are quite a few young people involved.^

In the post-war years, railway platforms swarmed with knock-kneed children clutching dog-eared copies of Ian Allen^s railway notebook. Such was the interest that a whole lexicon sprang up around trains: shed bunking (sneaking into a locomotive shed); copping (spotting) a train; and cabbing (getting a ride with drivers, who in those days were minor celebrities).

^I would get the bus down to York railway station and sit on platform nine,^ says David Quarrie, 68, of York, who volunteers at the museum. ^Sometimes there were four of us, sometimes two dozen. I would always take a packed lunch and tea ^ pork pie, sausage roll and Smith^s Salt ^ Shake crisps ^ and be there all day.^

Chris White, a pony-tailed 26-year-old, has also found the habit hard to kick. He ^officially^ gave up spotting a few years ago, in the first year of his politics and economics degree at York University, but still heads down to the platforms every now and then for a peek. For him, the attraction has always been the same. ^What you are out there for is something new and exciting,^ he says. ^These tracks are connected to every single locomotive in the country that you have ever wanted to see ^ it^s just a matter of finding them.^

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 10:42:47 »

At least there's some new cich^s:

"inter-city trains whizzing by" at York?

"locomotives roaring through London^s Westbourne Park in 1861."

"railway platforms swarmed with knock-kneed children." I was never knocked knee nor were any of my companions on Soke Road bridge overlooking Slough shed.

Smith^s Salt ^ Shake crisps too modern! Proper Smiths crisps, with potatoes carried by rail to the factory (Oakwood Press the Potato Railways of Lincolnshire), with salt in a blue twist of paper!

Surprised Gricer wasn't in there somewhere.

Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:46:16 »

The National Railway Museum at York include a great photo in their latest e-mail newsletter, advertising their 'trainspotters' event:

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 09:48:07 »

Newcastle?
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 10:05:47 »

According to the caption on the same photo in the following article, it is indeed Newcastle. Picture taken in August 1950.

From the Northern Echo:

Trainspotting season at National Railway Museum set to bring on nostalgia of steam

A PAIR of young train enthusiasts have helped a railway museum recreate nostalgic pictures from 1960s York Station ahead of its Trainspotting Season.

Ben and Harry Lumb, eight and 10, from Acomb, York, recreated numerous pictures of schoolboy spotters sneaking into grimy engine sheds, sent to the National Railway Museum as part of its preparation for the September to March exploration of the theme of trainspotting.

The season^s big opening event the Great York Shed Bash is set to appeal to a whole generation of schoolboys now grown-up, with a big celebration of the hobby, featuring a headline talk from curator Bob Gwynne who recently hit the headlines with his research uncovering that a Victorian teenage girl was one of the earliest trainspotters.

There will also be the premiere of a filmed performance of Love Me Tender, a new poem by Ian McMillan commissioned in response to the trainspotting theme.

Attendees to the ticketed Shed Bash will also get the chance to get hands on with locos in the collection associated with the heyday of schoolboy spotting including Western Fusilier, Evening Star and King George V.

Amy Banks, exhibitions manager at the National Railway Museum said: ^With our trainspotting season we want to explore the past and present of the pastime - collecting and documenting, adventure, travel and mischief, the sense of anticipation and the drama of the train arriving.^

Trainspotting runs from Friday, September 26 to March 1, 2015 at the National Railway Museum. For more information about The Great York Shed Bash and the Trainspotting Season visit www.nrm.org.uk/trainspotting.

Pictures and stories can be posted on the museum^s website, (National Railway Museum, at York and Shildon - about)/GetInvolved/trainspotting.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.nrm.org.uk/NRM/GetInvolved/trainspotting.aspx. Images can also be submitted via twitter using #trainspotting @railwaymuseum.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 10:18:43 »

Taken from a vantage point on Newcastle Castle, which is still a fantastic place to view trains, as well as the city and Gateshead. The view is worth the admission fee to the castle in itself!

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: