Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 22/05/24 - WWRUG / TransWilts update
02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Apr (1996)
GNER franchise (Sea Containers) starts on ECML (*)

Train RunningCancelled
28/04/24 14:53 London Paddington to Plymouth
28/04/24 17:16 Bristol Temple Meads to Severn Beach
28/04/24 18:01 Severn Beach to Bristol Temple Meads
20:00 Cardiff Central to Taunton
22:10 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
Short Run
28/04/24 09:18 Penzance to London Paddington
13:00 Cardiff Central to Penzance
13:49 Penzance to Cardiff Central
28/04/24 21:30 Swindon to Cheltenham Spa
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 28, 2024, 07:57:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[128] Clan Line - by Clan Line !
[49] Labour to nationalise railways within five years of coming to ...
[44] Cornish delays
[25] access for all at Devon stations report
[16] Who we are - the people behind firstgreatwestern.info
[5] Bonaparte's at Bristol Temple Meads

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Prices per mile Anytime and Season Tickets  (Read 3007 times)
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« on: September 06, 2014, 16:37:54 »

Grahame's post in another topic on this board caused me to think about the ratios of ticket price per mile for anytime and season tickets.  I looked at journeys to and from Paddington only.

A look at National Rail and a spreadsheet later I conclude the following:

The ratios between the different types of season ticket related to the 7 day value at reduce as the distance increases. So for an annual for Slough, Maidenhead and Twyford the annual is 40 times the 7 day. This reduces to 39 for Didcot and Oxford and is between 36 and 36 times for stations further West.

I have used the Anytime return prices throughout. I am aware that these are not the regulated tickets for long distance but for those who travel for work this is usually the only ticket available on the day.

For the anytime return and the 7 day season tickets the cost divided by the distance* was as follows:

Table of ticket prices divided by the distance from Paddington for common FGW (First Great Western) destinations

DestinationAnytime Return7 day season
Slough0.833.26
Maidenhead0.852.90
Twyford0.832.69
Reading1.22.85
Didcot1.112.25
Oxford0.931.88
Swindon1.572.94
Chippenham1.672.66
Bath1.682.34
Bristol TM(resolve)1.642.51
Newport1.522.30
Cardiff C1.462.19

It seems that:
Oxford is a complete anomaly - I can only assume that have undue political influence as their prices are the same as Didcot, which is itself quite low.
Short distance travellers (East of Reading) pay more per mile for season tickets, but less per mile for anytime tickets.
Season tickets reduce in price as distance increases but not dramatically once West of Reading
Anytime tickets double in price between Maidenhead and Swindon

*Mileage's from an old BR (British Rail(ways)) timetable of 1983/4
Of course there are lower fares for Bath and Bristol via Salisbury

It seems to me that in a bid to make our fare structure simpler the following reforms would be relatively pain free if phased in:

1) Fixed ratios between the prices of the different types of season ticket regardless of distance
2) Fixed price per mile for season tickets perhaps with two price bands based on average speed of the journey, this could be applied by route for trains via Salisbury or by type of train for stations from Reading eastwards (once Cross-rail services start to provide the capacity).

Not without pain would be:

3) removing the Oxford anomaly. This could be said to be foolish in the light of impending competition, but surely having a lower price only where there is competition is arguably an abuse of a monopoly position which the regulatory system should resolve.
4) Fixed prices per mile for anytime tickets for fast and slow trains.

I have now put my hard hat on and await the shouting!
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 18:46:26 »

Yes let me put my head in the sand and hope in 5 years time it will be someone else's problem.

That was a political broadcast by the DaFT» (Department for Transport - critical sounding abbreviation I discourage - about).

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 16:21:07 »

Might the Oxford 'anomaly' be related the to competition from the ultra frequent coach service to London?

Oxford also has advance fares which no other comparable station nearby has.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 22:07:30 »

Might the Oxford 'anomaly' be related the to competition from the ultra frequent coach service to London?

Oxford also has advance fares which no other comparable station nearby has.

If so then that also could be said to be an abuse of a monopoly position.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: