Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 10:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man suffers life-threatening injuries after train stabbing
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
09:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
09:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
09:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
10:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
10:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
10:41 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
11:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
11:23 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
11:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
11:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
12:15 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:00 London Paddington to Penzance
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:28 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
07:33 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
09:50 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
10:55 Paignton to London Paddington
11:12 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Delayed
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
08:48 London Paddington to Swansea
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
09:51 Warminster to Gloucester
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
10:23 London Paddington to Oxford
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 11:10:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[171] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[66] Return of the BRUTE?
[56] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[52] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[41] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nameplate nicked from a Silver 67  (Read 8924 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« on: September 08, 2014, 14:51:44 »

Anyone got it? :-)

http://www.btp.presscentre.com/Media-Releases/Police-appeal-to-rail-enthusiasts-to-help-recover-locomotive-nameplate-Wembey-London-29bd.aspx
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 16:26:54 »

The theft of a nameplate is completely wrong ... and I shouldn't really add any "lighter side" comment to it.

But

DC (Direct Current) Ganly said: "This is not a museum piece but important railway equipment, which should be put back where it belongs, on the side of this train."

Yeah, right ... I expect that 67 013 painted on the side is the important railway "equipment / information", and not the brass plate with the words "Dyfrbont Pontcysyllte" on it.

Admin note ...

The press release from the British Transport Police has attached images, and the following statement:

Please find attached image(s). They are to be used only in relation to this case/incident and must not be distributed, reproduced, or published in any form of media, electronic or otherwise other than for this purpose. As publishers, it is your responsibility to check with the courts whether any restrictions have been imposed that may affect the reporting of legal proceedings. You are also reminded of your obligations under the Contempt of Court Act 1981. Under no circumstances will BTP (British Transport Police) accept liability if the image(s) are distributed, reproduced or published in any form of media, electronic or otherwise, other than for the above purpose. Permission to reproduce this image is given for 1 month only from today^s date.

As a forum, we're usually happy to help the police in tracing people or goods by giving publicity to their press releases, and in the past we have carried pictures here.   However, paragraphs such as the above weren't on the earlier press releases, and with such changes it has become much harder for our volunteer administrators / moderators to be sure that our content is, and remains, legal.  As a result, you (forum members) may see less pictures on these "help the police" threads in the future ... for the current thread (for example),  I'm sure you can imagine a piece of brass with "Dyfrbont Pontcysyllte" written on it ... and we really don't want the police sending us emails in a month's time demanding we take down a picture.   "Would that happen?" you may ask.  It has happened ... and short of a month too, because the police had found their man ...

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
SDS

Badgerline

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 19:38:12 »

Guess BTP (British Transport Police) are getting narked off at their pathetic photography being shown up.

I'm also wondering as it's an image published by a crown orginisation that Crown Coypright would apply thus fair usage can apply.

Anyway I'm not a lawyer.

I do not work for FGW (First Great Western) and posts should not be assumed and do not imply they are statements, unless explicitly stated that they are, from any TOC (Train Operating Company) including First Great Western.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2014, 21:56:15 »

The two images provided as part of that British Transport Police press release are in fact marked "^ Chiltern Railways".

To assist the BTP (British Transport Police) in this appeal, so far as I am able within the restrictions they have imposed, I will now reproduce their entire item here.  I will then remove it from this topic in one month's time - or possibly sooner, if BTP trace the stolen item in the interim.

08/09/2014 09:29:00
Police appeal to rail enthusiasts to help recover locomotive nameplate Wembey, London

Police are hoping rail enthusiasts will help them recover a valuable nameplate stolen from a Chiltern Railways train in north-west London.

Detectives have launched an investigation into the theft from a depot in Wembley, which is believed to have taken place late on Thursday, 28 August.

Detective Constable Mike Ganly, leading the investigation, said: ^The distinctive brass nameplate was stolen at some point on Thursday evening while the engine was stored at the depot. This was reported later during a routine inspection by the driver. I believe an angle-grinder, or other cutting equipment, was used to remove the nameplate."

Officers have been pursuing several lines of enquiry, including analysing CCTV (Closed Circuit Tele Vision) footage from the depot and taking witness statements. They are now appealing directly to those with a passion for railway memorabilia to help recover the item which measures three feet by eight inches.

DC (Direct Current) Ganly added: ^Such items are of particular value to collectors of railway memorabilia. This item is likely to have been stolen to order or to be re-sold on the black market. I would therefore appeal directly to genuine collectors to be on the look-out for this nameplate. They should get in touch if they are offered it for sale, or have any further information of its whereabouts."

The plate had Dyfrbont Pontcysyllte written on it.

Dave Penney, Engineering Director at Chiltern Railways said: ^This is a valuable piece of railway equipment. We are supporting the BTP with their investigations so that the culprits are caught as soon as possible."^

DC Ganly said: ^This is not a museum piece but important railway equipment, which should be put back where it belongs, on the side of this train."

Anyone with information is asked to contact British Transport Police on 0800 40 50 40, or text 61016, quoting reference ESUB/B9 of 05/09/2014. Information can also be passed anonymously to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Notes to Editors:

Please find attached image(s). They are to be used only in relation to this case/incident and must not be distributed, reproduced, or published in any form of media, electronic or otherwise other than for this purpose. As publishers, it is your responsibility to check with the courts whether any restrictions have been imposed that may affect the reporting of legal proceedings. You are also reminded of your obligations under the Contempt of Court Act 1981. Under no circumstances will BTP accept liability if the image(s) are distributed, reproduced or published in any form of media, electronic or otherwise, other than for the above purpose. Permission to reproduce this image is given for 1 month only from today's date.

In their heading, by the way, I think BTP mean 'Wembley'.  Roll Eyes

Edit note: Typographic corruptions removed, for clarity. CfN.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 18:09:40 by Chris from Nailsea » Logged

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2015, 22:39:14 »

Yeah, right ... I expect that 67 013 painted on the side is the important railway "equipment / information", and not the brass plate with the words "Dyfrbont Pontcysyllte" on it.

I came back to this one which confirms how critical a nameplate is:

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/news/we-auction-class-67-locomotive-nameplates-for-our-charities-year?

We are giving members of the public the chance to snap up a piece of railway history by auctioning off four Class 67 name plates.

[snip]

Up for auction are ... and 'Dyfrbont Pontcysyllte'.

Sorry - a three month old page I have just come across; too late for our members to bid.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2015, 10:01:07 »

As an aside, is it possible to remove the wacky strings of ^ by cutting and pasting via Notepad (other text editors are available)?

Apologies - just realised these are old posts. I'd delete this if I could.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 18:11:15 »

I've now (rather laboriously!) removed all of those rogue characters from my previous post, in the interests of clarity. CfN.  Roll Eyes

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 19:25:53 »

I've now (rather laboriously!) removed all of those rogue characters from my previous post, in the interests of clarity. CfN.  Roll Eyes

Sorry Chris, I seem to be adding to your workload today. Your efforts are appreciated!  Cool

If you're looking for something else to do, my lawn could really do with a cut...

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 20:13:48 »

Sorry Chris, I seem to be adding to your workload today. Your efforts are appreciated!  Cool

If you're looking for something else to do, my lawn could really do with a cut...

Very much aware of the rogue characters ... getting higher up my list as they breed every time we have a database issue.  However, not going to risk doing anything without time to concentrate, which I won't have until the weekend at least.  In Leeds next week which might be a bit boring of an evening  Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: