Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningCancelled
09:00 Gatwick Airport to Reading
09:46 Westbury to Swindon
09:54 Bedwyn to Newbury
10:22 Newbury to Bedwyn
10:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
11:05 Swindon to Westbury
11:29 Newbury to Bedwyn
11:57 Bedwyn to Newbury
12:17 Westbury to Swindon
12:52 Bedwyn to Newbury
13:15 Swindon to Westbury
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
16:23 Westbury to Swindon
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
21:16 Westbury to Swindon
22:30 Swindon to Westbury
Short Run
06:37 Plymouth to London Paddington
07:03 London Paddington to Paignton
08:35 Plymouth to London Paddington
09:30 Weymouth to Gloucester
09:37 London Paddington to Paignton
10:35 London Paddington to Exeter St Davids
Delayed
05:03 Penzance to London Paddington
06:05 Penzance to London Paddington
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
08:03 London Paddington to Penzance
08:15 Penzance to London Paddington
09:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
09:45 Bristol Temple Meads to Salisbury
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
11:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 10:15:32 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[149] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[64] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[59] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[58] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...
[52] Return of the BRUTE?
[36] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Oxford Parkway to Marylebone (and other Chiltern Routes) timetable consultation  (Read 40158 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« on: September 15, 2014, 10:42:08 »

Chiltern have launched a consultation for their new timetable, for when Oxford Parkway station is due to open next September.

http://www.chilternrailways.co.uk/news/september-2015-timetable-consultation

A quick glance gives the expected two trains an hour between Oxford Parkway and Marylebone, with some journeys taking as little as 57/58 minutes.  The peak hour trains often take a few minutes longer, although there are at least a couple that remain around the hour mark in each direction.  Oxford to High Wycombe takes just over 30 minutes with a roughly hourly frequency.

Islip sees its service reduced to just seven trains a day, as had been speculated, with a four hour gap in the afternoon to Oxford, and a ridiculous four-and-a-half hour gap from Oxford to Islip from 08:47 to 13:15.  Until the main link into Oxford opens, demand from Islip to Oxford will be a little suppressed, but those gaps need filling and an choice of commuting trains into Oxford and Bicester would be nice, which would be possible if just one more morning and evening train stopped each way.

One other clear improvement that could be made (in the fairly short time I've had to examine it) is the first train from Bicester to Oxford which is scheduled for 07:07 arriving at Oxford Parkway 07:18.  There are four departures from Parkway to Marylebone before that, so the sets must be coming ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) from somewhere - why on earth not run at least one of them in service to give a pre-7am arrival time into Oxford as has been the case for many years?

Obviously this is just a staged timetable until the line through to Oxford (proper) opens, and commuting from both Bicester and Islip into Oxford will be a little suppressed until the whole line opens, but I hope that the issues above can be resolved before then, and if so it looks like a cracking timetable.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2014, 11:31:21 »

Hmmm.

Depends on which stations you are embarking at. Those at Princes Risborough & Beaconsfield aren't exactly enamoured, having lost high peak non-stops. There are major gaps at a lot of stations.

Their Passenger Board had a discussion with the planners on Friday. This TT will be pretty much unchanged in May15 when it is extended to Oxford - the timings on the Oxford branch already allow for a trip to Oxford & return - they'll have a long layover in the up platform at Oxford Parkway from September....

Oxford Parkway will NOT have a ticket office, but will be staffed. Looks as though they are developing some interesting touch-panel ticket machines, and staff will be on hand to explain them....

Start date 5th or 6th September 2015.

Maximum journey time from / tro Oxford will be 66 minutes, as stated in their permission to run these services
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2014, 12:10:30 »

Yes, my comments were mainly aimed at the new stretch of track rather than the timetable for existing areas.  I'll leave others who know the local demands and flows to comment on that.  I have submitted the following comments to the consultation regarding the Oxford to Bicester via Islip service which I think addresses a few of the omissions in a sensible way:

"Thank you for inviting comments on the new Chiltern Railways timetable.

The timetable looks pretty good from my own views, but I would make the following comments (specific to the new section between Oxford Parkway, via Islip, to Bicester Town) as I believe should the following minor changes be made you would really have a fantastic timetable on your hands.  I will let others who are more knowledgeable on the Bicester to Marylebone section make their own comments.

Bicester to Oxford service:
The first train from Bicester Town to Oxford Parkway is scheduled to leave at 07:07 arriving at 07:18.  This is quite a lot later than the first train of the day has historically operated for the many years - the first train of the day at around 06:15am used to run with passengers in double figures most days.  There are four departures from Oxford Parkway to Marylebone before that first train from Bicester gets there, which must run ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) from somewhere (presumably Aylesbury, or Banbury?).  I would suggest running one of those ECS trains in passenger service at around 6:30am, and why not try to provide an even better service by running another one in service at around 6am?  This is one time of day, where demand is there (albeit in limited supply), that buses are currently don't provide for.  If the trains are running empty to form London bound trains, why not run them in service?

Islip's service:
Islip sees its service reduced to just seven trains a day, as had been speculated, with a four hour gap in the afternoon to Oxford, and in the early evening back to Islip, and a ridiculous four-and-a-half hour gap from Oxford to Islip from 08:47 to 13:15.  Until the main link into Oxford opens, demand from Islip to Oxford will be a little suppressed, but those gaps need filling and an choice of commuting trains into Oxford and Bicester would be nice, which would be possible if just one more morning and evening train stopped each way.  Given the relatively small additional time this would add to a couple of trains, I think it would be sensible to make the following changes:

* Approx 06:30am additional train from Bicester to Oxford Parkway stopping at Islip (06:36) and arriving Oxford Parkway 06:41 (before forming 06:48 to Marylebone) - additional morning commuter train from Bicester and Islip to Oxford
* Additional stop on 06:08 Marylebone to Oxford Parkway at Islip (07:13) - additional morning commuter train from Islip to Oxford
* Additional stop on 13:05 Marylebone to Oxford Parkway at Islip (14:00) - plugs four hour gap in service
* Remove Islip stop on 16:18 Marylebone to Oxford Parkway, and replace it with a stop on the 16:50 Marylebone to Oxford Parkway - givies a much more commuter friendly train from Bicester to Islip at 17:40 rather than 17:06 which is too early.

* Additional stop on 10:18 Oxford Parkway to Marylebone at Islip (10:20). 10:18 to depart two minutes earlier at 10:16 to maintain path at Bicester - plugs the 4.5 hour gap and gives an additional train for day trippers from Islip to Marylebone.
* Additional stop on 18:48 Oxford Parkway to Marylebone at Islip (18:50).  18:48 to depart two minutes earlier at 18:46 to maintain path at Bicester - additional commuter train from Oxford to Islip.
* Additional stop on 20:18 Oxford Parkway to Marylebone at Islip (20:20).  20:18 to depart two minutes earlier at 20:16 to maintain path at Bicester - additional service from Oxford to Islip and (along with stop on 18:46 from Oxford Parkway) plugs the 4 hour gap in evening services.

I appreciate that Islip is very small fry in the context of the whole timetable, but feel that the residents of Islip deserve better than is currently proposed.  I should point out that I live nowhere near Islip, so have no vested interest, but I am aware of the area.

Obviously the timetable you have opened to consultation is just a staged timetable until the line through to Oxford (proper) opens the following year, and commuting from both Bicester and Islip into Oxford will be a little suppressed until the whole line opens, but I hope that the issues above can be resolved before then to pave the way for similar frequency services when the full line reopens, and if so you'll then have a cracking timetable between Oxford and Bicester."

I'd be interested to hear other people's views who use this forum.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2014, 12:21:44 »

The ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) moves are most likely from Banbury, I suspect, and they won't go via Haddenham to reverse to reach the new chord - I'm not sure there is any turn-back there, and they might indeed currently need to to Princes Risborough to get back onto the down line. Yes, they could install a turn-back on the down reversible south of the points for the new chord, but a) they haven't and b) it would block the down line for some time.

They could supply from Aylesbury possibly, but depends on which driver depots are signing that route. And an extra hour on the driver's rota maybe.

I have drawn attention to your suggestions Oxford-Bicester to the OBRAG Chairman as I'd be interested in his views on your suggestions. As I said, it isn't a staged timetable & this one is being proposed for May15 simply with trains extended from Parkway into Oxford.

I do agree it needs an earlier service into Oxford though.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 12:44:41 »

Thanks for passing on my comments.  Of course, ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) for the morning Oxford Parkway to Marylebone trains would have to come through Bicester Town to Oxford Parkway whether they come from Banbury or Aylesbury until the line to Oxford reopens.  Is there definitely no signal being provided at or near Bicester South Junction for moves on the up reversible in the down direction towards Bicester Town?  I'd have thought that would be sensible at the new junction?  That means any train from Marylebone to Oxford can't run in the down direction on the up reversible after Princes Risborough, which seems a little limiting?

Obviously when the line to Oxford opens then the stock could well come straight down from Banbury in the morning, which maybe why they haven't utilised the ECS moves in this timetable, but an earlier Oxford service is most desirable in my opinion.

Appreciate your point about it not being a staged timetable, though the opening to Oxford main line station will no doubt give the planners an opportunity to make several tweaks for the better here and there as problems become apparent after the introduction of this timetable.  Chiltern have been very good at doing that over the years.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2014, 13:44:55 »

Is there definitely no signal being provided at or near Bicester South Junction for moves on the up reversible in the down direction towards Bicester Town? 

Not that I'm aware of. Indeed, I don't think that the junction is configured such that a train running down on the Up reversible can reach the down line on the chord. It could run all the way into Bicester Town if that is reversible, but then it'll be on the wrong platform at Town station.

That means any train from Marylebone to Oxford can't run in the down direction on the up reversible after Princes Risborough, which seems a little limiting?

As I understand it, that is correct - the only cross-over I am aware of currently is north of the North station, before Aynho Junction.

Appreciate your point about it not being a staged timetable, though the opening to Oxford main line station will no doubt give the planners an opportunity to make several tweaks for the better here and there as problems become apparent after the introduction of this timetable.  Chiltern have been very good at doing that over the years.

Those changes will be made at the usual December 2015 timetable change.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2014, 14:22:47 »

Is there definitely no signal being provided at or near Bicester South Junction for moves on the up reversible in the down direction towards Bicester Town? 

Not that I'm aware of. Indeed, I don't think that the junction is configured such that a train running down on the Up reversible can reach the down line on the chord. It could run all the way into Bicester Town if that is reversible, but then it'll be on the wrong platform at Town station.

That means any train from Marylebone to Oxford can't run in the down direction on the up reversible after Princes Risborough, which seems a little limiting?

As I understand it, that is correct - the only cross-over I am aware of currently is north of the North station, before Aynho Junction.

I'm a little surprised about that, though having thought about it a little more, I'm guessing there will be nothing stopping reversing movements at Bicester South Junction as long as the up train crosses over onto the down reversible just after Bicester North station, then stands behind the signal which will protect Bicester South Junction on the down line (complete with junction indicator for the line down to Bicester Town), IYSWIM?

Similarly a train heading for Oxford on the up reversible from Princes Risborough, could go through to Bicester North and then change direction and follow the above move - time consuming, but at least possible at times of degraded working.

ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2014, 14:25:08 »

I'm a little surprised about that, though having thought about it a little more, I'm guessing there will be nothing stopping reversing movements at Bicester South Junction as long as the up train crosses over onto the down reversible just after Bicester North station, then stands behind the signal which will protect Bicester South Junction on the down line (complete with junction indicator for the line down to Bicester Town), IYSWIM?

I do, but the driver will likely need to change ends outside the train as it is intended the majority of trips be formed by two or more 172s....and they're 2car units. Will need appropriate walkway constructed.

Similarly a train heading for Oxford on the up reversible from Princes Risborough, could go through to Bicester North and then change direction and follow the above move - time consuming, but at least possible at times of degraded working.

Likely to be train held in North up platform if that happens....
paul7575
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2014, 15:18:58 »

Ignoring signals for a moment, wouldn't the track layout itself allow a train from PR (Public Relations) using the up reversible in the down direction to use the up Bicester Chord to access the down line into Bicester Town, because Gavray Jn is a simplified double junction rather than a traditional junction with a crossover?

Of course it would also require the signalling to allow such a move, but I suppose until signalling plans are confirmed we won't really know?

Paul
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2014, 15:55:07 »

Looking up "Gavray Junction" and track plans I came across

http://plumbloco.smugmug.com/Trains/May-2014/i-jPTcBLj

Not so much on the timetable consultation (sorry!) but it did help me understand why prices for works like this are so high - reading the commentary.

On topic / with Islip peak services, our own poll here a while back, looking at a general case amongst our members, indicated that a single "peak commuter" service rarely suits everyone, and a couple of trains in each direction across the peak will make far more than a 2:1 difference in traffic generated.   

If the inbound train is "A" and the return services is "C", you cover
- people for whom "A" in and "C" out works

If the inbound trains are "A" and "B" and the return services are "C" and "D"
- people for whom "A" in and "C" out works
- people for whom "B" in and "C" out works
- people for whom "A" in and "D" out works
- people for whom "B" in and "D" out works
- people for whom "A" in and "C" or "D" works depending on when they finish that day
- people for whom "B" in and "C" or "D" works depending on when they finish that day

That's more like a 6:1 ratio, and it's potentially better still if there are services "E" and / or "F" available later too.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 16:01:12 »

Indeed.

While Chiltern are investigating a promise thought to be made for 8 Islip services in each direction, Chiltern are unmoved otherwise & will only supply the franchise required PSR (Permanent Speed Restriction). So it will be 7 each way, or 8 if this promise can be proved.

With the 7 on definite offer, they have to be at times to suit the current travelling pax, not a wish list.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2014, 17:09:37 »

I do, but the driver will likely need to change ends outside the train as it is intended the majority of trips be formed by two or more 172s....and they're 2car units. Will need appropriate walkway constructed.

Good, well hopefully any walkway that's needed will be constructed for the occasions a driver won't be able to walk through the train.  Can't see that being too much of an issue. 

Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2014, 20:07:53 »

My 2d worth:-

Thank-you for this opportunity to consult and I wish you the very best with this exciting new venture.

I understand that Oxford, Oxford Parkway and Bicester are the main economic drivers for this branch but Islip has been left drawing the short straw; more so than I expected with huge multi-hour gaps in the service.  I understand the need to path fast services through the station to maintain both overall capacity and sub-hour timings to London, but I feel that improvements can be made within the current stopping frequency.

May I please suggest that you consider staggering the stopping times at Islip in the up and down directions so that there is a more even arrivals and departures pattern throughout the day. By way of new Routing Guide Easements, Islip customers may be encouraged to back-track via either Oxford Parkway or Bicester Town to reach their intended destination, and at a time closer to the hour their choosing.  These backward connections should be positively engineered, and very importantly, advertised. 

With the improved overall running speeds on the railway, the end-to-end timings for Islip passengers might remain similar to the previous 2012 service interval, whilst doubling the effective access frequency to and from the station.

... submitted tonight.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2014, 01:56:16 »

One other excellent feature of the proposed timetable is a 2tph service on Sunday's from the beginning of service.  I had expected an hourly service until late morning, as per a previous 2010 proposed timetable, but departures from Oxford Parkway to Marylebone leave at 08:14, 08:48, 09:08, 09:48 and then at roughly 30-minute intervals until gone 8pm.

That means a Sunday morning arrival into Marylebone at 09:23, nearly 50 minutes earlier than the first Paddington arrival - which has been the subject of debate on this forum as a very busy 3-car Turbo, or absolutely packed 2-car!

Andrew1939 from West Oxon

View Profile Email
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2014, 14:51:03 »

My understanding from family connections living in Islip is that most of the rail market from Islip is towards Oxford. Whilst the line will at first terminate at Watereaton I am informed that very few Islip residents will want to use the train to get just to Watereaton. A lot of Islip people are very satisfied with the local bus service to Oxford provided by the Charlton flyer and use that. Things will probably change when the line opens to Oxford and a fast journey to Oxford is available but if it is not frequent enough, then Islip people will not return to rail use to Oxford although some will be attracted to the Marylebone journey options.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: