No 'On This Day' events reported for 24th Apr

Train RunningCancelled
13:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 24, 2024, 14:30:09 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[181] Lack of rolling stock due to attacks on shipping in the Red Se...
[96] 2024 - Service update and amendment log, Swindon <-> Westbury...
[91] Theft from Severn Valley Railway
[81] Death of another bus station?
[56] tram/rail meet up
[48] You see all sorts on the bus.

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 'First Great Western are appalling neighbours'  (Read 6640 times)
Chris from Nailsea
Administrator

I am not railway staff

View Profile Email
« on: September 17, 2014, 01:01:58 »

I'm going to post this item here in 'the lighter side' as it concerns ... erm, a light.  Lips sealed

From the Oxford Mail's letters page:

First Great Western are appalling neighbours

I wonder if anyone else has had the opportunity to experience First Great Western as a neighbour as we have?

The company has a bright streetlight near Oxford station which shines into the entire back of our house.

After six years of requesting they address this by putting up a shield, they put up an inadequate thin shield that does not stop the streetlight shining into our house, and now they seem to be of the opinion that they have done all they can.

On phoning them I got through to someone in India who informed me that my home and my postcode do not exist.

I emailed them without response.

When going to talk to the station manager about it, I was unable to see the manager, but was informed angrily by one of the staff that people who choose to live near the station should have to put up with the lights and that it is my own fault for living here.

First Great Western are not only extremely crowded train operators, but appalling neighbours too.

William Huskisson MP (Member of Parliament) was the first person to be killed by a train while crossing the tracks, in 1830.  Many more have died in the same way since then.  Don't take a chance: stop, look, listen.

"Level crossings are safe, unless they are used in an unsafe manner."  Discuss.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:07:13 »

I note the follow up comment from a reader:

So the Chair of the Oxford Pedestrians Association is complaining about the lighting that illuminates the pathways for pedestrians walking on public transport infrastructure in the dark...

You couldn't make it up.

And looking at the address of the original letter, the lighting is over the car parking area off the end of the main station approach - not sure if that's actually public or staff parking.

http://www.oxpa.org.uk/Contact.html

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:13:52 »

Which was there first - the house or the light?

Rewley Park? Isn't that the 'new' houses built by the station?....should've looked round at night before buying. Zero sympathy
ray951
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 09:21:08 »

It is the new houses behind the Said Business School, built on the site of the old LNWR (London North Western Railway) (?) station that is now at Quainton Road, I suppose they will start complaining about the noise of the trains next Wink
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:44:58 »

Yes, those are they.....this was predicted at the time they were being built. They want a shade, they pay for it, I reckon.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 09:59:36 »

Perhaps the unsympathetic readers had better review the comments on HST (High Speed Train) lighting and quiet carriages elsewhere in this thread.

After all, those complainers *knew* that people have phones and travel on trains, and that trains have bright lights, but still chose to travel.

Pot : kettle.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 10:04:34 »

Totally different.

You do have rights around your living space; you have none when travelling on public transport.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 10:28:38 »

Sushila Dhall is also the chair of the Oxfordshire Green Party. Was a city and county councillor for a while but has been unsuccessful recently, albeit in a different ward.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 10:30:02 »

Right that's it. I'm never travelling by train again now that I know I have no rights as a passenger.  Roll Eyes

You say you have zero sympathy ChrisB but then rightly point out that that people have rights around their living space. Light nuisance can be a criminal offence just like noise and smell pollution. However the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005 exempts certain railway premises from the legislation. Within that legislation it says which types of railways premises are exempt. One is 'stations' and under the legislation 'stations' means any land or other property which consists of premises used as, or for the purposes of, or otherwise in connection with, a railway passenger station or railway passenger terminal (including any approaches, forecourt, cycle store or car park), whether or not the land or other property is, or the premises are, also used for other purposes.

So it would appear that the owner of the car park isn't breaking the law, but that doesn't stop them being good neighbours. I have every sympathy for the letter writer, politician or not.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 10:35:01 »

Of course without seeing the locality it isn't possible to know what could be done without reducing the necessary area of illumination. It must be a pretty strong light if with even some kind of a shield it can penetrate lined curtains or blinds.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 10:52:15 »

Right that's it. I'm never travelling by train again now that I know I have no rights as a passenger.  Roll Eyes

I knew you were going to be obtuse in your response! We're talking about light nuisance? You have no rights under that heading on a train.....:-)

So it would appear that the owner of the car park isn't breaking the law, but that doesn't stop them being good neighbours. I have every sympathy for the letter writer, politician or not.

Possibly. Maybe she ought to approach the building owners?....
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 11:19:07 »

I knew you were going to be obtuse in your response!

Not obtuse (Adj. Annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand or, deliberately difficult to understand). I understood immediately that although you said 'none' when referring to passengers rights you didn't mean 'none'. But you still said 'none'.

So, not obtuse. Perhaps irksome or pestiferous.  Tongue Wink Grin

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 11:24:40 »

Perhaps we've thrown enough light on some of the uses of the English language here.   A very illuminating discussion, and hopefully the various parties in this issue can see their way forward to a solution.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 22:55:20 »

Sushila Dhall is also the chair of the Oxfordshire Green Party.

Crikey, and there was me thinking it was that spicy lentil dish I ordered in a certain oriental restaurant once. Caused the world to fall out of my bottom, it did.

If it's only a light nuisance, why worry? There are enough nuisances of a much heavier nature to deal with first.

Now, please!
LiskeardRich
Transport Scholar

richardwarwicker@hotmail.co.uk
View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 07:59:54 »

Better quality curtains should resolve the issue, or black out blinds.....

All posts are my own personal believes, opinions and understandings!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: