Train RunningCancelled
19:18 London Paddington to Swansea
21:02 Oxford to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 21:12:25 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[313] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[65] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[58] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[49] Somerset and Dorset Devonshire Tunnel flood
[28] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[26] Signage - not making it easy ...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Flash flooding - Corsham 18/19 Sep 14  (Read 13126 times)
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2014, 18:52:32 »

Lots of fun at Swindon this morning with last minute alteration of the 0900 ex padd coming in to platform 3 while everyone was on 4.  Grin

Welcome to the forum tomlane.  Smiley

At least Swindon has the capability to run services bi-directionally at the station. Even if it is a bit inconvenient on the punters to have them all move through the subway from 4 to 3 at the last minute.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2014, 18:54:01 »

That is totally unacceptable. I'd be complaining in the strongest possible way to both FGW (First Great Western) and the First Bus subsidiary responsible. It really isn't on for public announcements to be made about ticket acceptance on buses and to then not liaise between companies.

Unacceptable yes, but anyone with experience of FGW's total inability to cope with any sort of crisis will not be surprised.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2014, 21:53:02 »

Today I travelled from Swindon to Reading on the 11:59 and back on the 14:28 to Bristol TM(resolve).

The Bristol trains seemed to be being diverted alternately via Westbury to Bath and via Bristol Parkway. 

An ECS (Empty Coaching Stock) train arrived at Swindon at a slow speed at 11:51 and stopped on platform 3.  The staff who got off this train included an incident officer and maintenance staff.  The train was turned and was to proceed back to Bristol (presumably via Parkway). I assume this was the train that was stranded.

The 11:59 was switched to Platform 1 and left before the ECS. 

When I got back to Swindon on a Bristol TM train passengers to Bath were invited to stay on the train and change at Bristol.  Chippenham passenger were asked to change at Swindon.  When we got off the train there was some suggestion of some sort of shuttle train rather than road transport. Not clear what.
CLPGMS

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 22:45:26 »

It appears that the DOWN line between Chippenham and Bath Spa has now reopened, with a severe speed restriction.  I see that the 2000 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) lost 16 minutes between the two stations and the same happened to the 2045.  Trains are still being diverted in the UP direction.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2014, 23:26:01 »

It appears that the DOWN line between Chippenham and Bath Spa has now reopened, with a severe speed restriction.  I see that the 2000 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) lost 16 minutes between the two stations and the same happened to the 2045.  Trains are still being diverted in the UP direction.

21:29 Taunton - London Paddington 1A37 has been diverted via Berks and Hants lines. Road Replacement Coaches were provided for passengers wanting Chippenham and Swindon at 22:47

I am on 1A37 as we speak and so far running without incident albeit diverted.

Yesterday 1A37 was held at Twerton Tunnel where the was a reported track circuit failure from Twerton Tunnel all the way through to Thingly Junction caused by a lightening strike. We were held at the signal outside the tunnel entrance before passing the signal at danger and running 15mph into Bath Spa from there.

From someone on that train yesterday. That lightening was rather something I can tell you: http://youtu.be/2CIhR4i0YZk

Grin Grin Grin Grin
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2014, 16:06:51 »

Lots of fun at Swindon this morning with last minute alteration of the 0900 ex padd coming in to platform 3 while everyone was on 4.  Grin

Welcome to the forum tomlane.  Smiley

At least Swindon has the capability to run services bi-directionally at the station. Even if it is a bit inconvenient on the punters to have them all move through the subway from 4 to 3 at the last minute.

Thank you. I've been lurking a while  Grin

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: