Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:55 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
13:57 Exmouth to Paignton
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 15:14:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "No Justification For Rail Fare Rises" - Christian Wolmar  (Read 5331 times)
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« on: September 20, 2014, 10:36:44 »

http://www.christianwolmar.co.uk/2014/09/rail-756-no-justification-for-rail-fare-rises/

Looking for a short snippet from a long article to quote, I've chosen ....

I have no doubt that the coalition will not proceed with a RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) + 1 per cent rise in what will be an election year. The only question is whether the rise will be RPI or less. Labour will clearly have to match any future commitment made by the Conservatives and if canny it will set out a passenger-friendly fares policy.

How could it pay for that? Well the clever way would be to use the fact that the Network Rail debt is going on government books by writing some of it off.

Do read the article - interesting food for thought.    And a question from me - with ^34Bn of debt, how much of my train fare currently goes to the servicing of that debt?

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 11:46:01 »

Need to remember/realise Christian is standing for Mayor of London and therefore his blogs are politically oriented now, rather than truely subjective/objective
trainer

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 12:01:00 »

Need to remember/realise Christian is standing for Mayor of London and therefore his blogs are politically oriented now, rather than truely subjective/objective

Every comment about how public services are funded (tax-payer/consumer balance) is a political opinion.  Some people are so convicted by their views that they offer themselves for public office and therefore become 'politicians'.  This forum is full of politics because most of us have an opinion on how government (not the Government) should distribute the country's wealth in respect of railways.  Objectivity in this realm is a concept that cannot be realised.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 12:07:09 »

I guess I was distinguishing between politics & Politics. Christian's crossed the line between the two for the time being
4064ReadingAbbey

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 16:43:28 »

Do read the article - interesting food for thought.    And a question from me - with ^34Bn of debt, how much of my train fare currently goes to the servicing of that debt?

Good question - difficult to answer exactly!

The statistics published by the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) (for England and Wales) and the ORR» (Office of Rail and Road formerly Office of Rail Regulation - about) (for all the UK (United Kingdom)) show that for the last couple of years the fare income from all the TOCs (Train Operating Company) taken together pays for train operation and (very nearly) for all of Network Rail's ongoing operations, maintenance and renewals. Prior to that Network Rail also borrowed money to cover the deficit it ran on operations, maintenance, renewals and enhancements: NR» (Network Rail - home page) has now managed to increase the bang it gets for each buck and the access charges now (very nearly) cover the ongoing operations, maintenance and renewals costs. The enhancements are still covered by borrowing, from now on from the Treasury rather than in the open market. Anyway, as you say, the total borrowings have now reached ^34bn.

The annual interest on these borrowings amounts to some ^1.5bn and is covered by the Network Grant made directly to Network Rail by the Government.

So the answer to your question is - it depends entirely on how one allocates the Network Grant! Should it be considered as effectively a subsidy to the TOCs to pay for enhancements to the infrastructure or should it be seen in the same way as road grants which pays for the infrastructure directly?

Total fare income is around ^7.5 billion, so in the first case the interest could be considered as taking up 20% of your fare. If it is considered as part of the cost to central Government of supplying the infrastructure then it doesn't take any of the fare - but does take a part of your taxes!

So, whichever way you look at it - you're paying!
Super Guard

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 11:47:25 »

Quote from: Christian Wolmar
I have no doubt that the coalition will not proceed with a RPI (Revenue Protection Inspector (or Retail Price Index, depending on the context)) + 1 per cent rise in what will be an election year.

Mystic Wolmar indeed..  Roll Eyes

7th Sept:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29098340

Any opinions made on this forum are purely personal and my own.  I am in no way speaking for, or offering the views of First Great Western or First Group.

If my employer feels I have broken any aspect of the Social Media Policy, please PM me immediately, so I can rectify without delay.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: