Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
18:02 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
07:10 Penzance to London Paddington
15:23 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
18:34 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
Delayed
15/04/24 21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 05:27:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[127] Okehampton
[119] The One-Way Wizzo
[59] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?
[53] From Melksham to Tallinn by train
[44] A two carriage train running back and forth - Swedish differen...
[30] 2024 Delays and Cancellations - North Cotswold Line

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Blackpool International Airport - ongoing discussion  (Read 14399 times)
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2014, 10:16:09 »

Thanks BNM.  The irony is that these semaphores along with the whole station and branch to Blackpool North were tabled for extinction under the Beeching proposals for the Fylde coast.  Central Station in the middle of Blackpool^s Golden Mile was to remain the main railway entry to the resort along with the south Fylde route though Lytham-St Anne^s.  Central^s engine shed was modernised and that at Blackpool north closed.

Alas a greedy eye was cast by the good burghers of Blackpool on the prime real estate owned by British Railways in the heart of their town and a new plan was hatched that shocked the refined gentry of adjacent St Annes-on-the-Sea ^ in whose parish the airport lies by the way. At the last minute, Blackpool North was reprieved and the devastating news that it was Central that was to close was released. For several decades the ex-railway centre of Blackpool lay derelict and bare, and the south Fylde line, which includes the airport^s Squires Gate station, line slowly atrophied.  First it lost its expresses to London and Manchester then its double track and finally most of its station buildings.  Cut back to Blackpool South, it became a pacer shuttle along an un-signalled, lengthy siding.  I was there ^ I remember it well.

In its reprieve, Blackpool North suffered too.  What you see in the photographs are the more modern excursion platforms; the main station entrance on Talbot Road ^ which lost its trams in part because of impending closure ^ was also demolished and the walk to the promenade increased by several hundred yards. On a positive note, there are plans afoot to bring trams back to the station and reinstate the missing link. 

Various metro proposals, as an extension to Blackpool^s tramway  system, have been made for the South Fylde line over the years.  Alas the line lives out its quiet dotage with an hourly shuttle to fairest Colne on the hill.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:30:53 by Oxonhutch » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2014, 12:15:27 »

Fascinating review of Blackpool' railways - thanks Oxonhutch.  Not a history I've followed, but I have wondered how it came to be as it is having had reason to go to Blackpool several times in the past couple of years.  My wife is usually pretty hardy in terms of going into places / areas, but she was concerned for our safety when we arrived at North and walked down from there to the front.   Approaching (because I wanted to try it out) via South on a later visit, the description "long siding" is appropriate - and I know that there is a desire to get a loop in there.   And the walk to my final destination (between South and the centre) was through an area I would describe as even less welcoming than the North one.

Blackpool as a whole (never mind just the railway) makes an interesting study.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2014, 18:10:28 »

Various metro proposals, as an extension to Blackpool^s tramway  system, have been made for the South Fylde line over the years.  Alas the line lives out its quiet dotage with an hourly shuttle to fairest Colne on the hill.

Work on the extension to BPN starts next year, with actual construction slated for 2017, and the first tram to run by 2018. Transport for Lancashire, the transport arm of the LEP» (Local Enterprise Partnership - about), is providing most of the cash. When the tram route was re-laid a few years ago, it was done to tram-train standards, the details being explained in the report by Sintropher into the project. A set of points to nowhere were installed outside North Pier, to save having a lengthy closure, and to remind everyone they are serious about the extension.

Much as I liked the old trams, the new Flexity 2s are excellent. A lot of stops were removed to cut the journey time, and they fair zip along the sea front. I went to Fleetwood on Friday, and later took my grandchildren to see the lights. They enjoyed the ride, too. A picture from ZimFlyer shows them on Day One of operations:

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2014, 18:46:55 »

As we have a temporary diversion away from the airport and onto the trams, why not a few more pictures?

From my trip to Blackpool in July:

A set of points to nowhere were installed outside North Pier, to save having a lengthy closure, and to remind everyone they are serious about the extension.
A picture of that junction:

Couple of Flexity Trams:

And a great art installation on the Prom, the Comedy Carpet:
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 18:52:06 by bignosemac » Logged

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2014, 21:51:21 »

And you made it to Fleetwood! North Euston or Mount?

Now, please!
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2014, 22:45:58 »

For a pint? Neither. I chose the 'Spoons.

I was staying in Blackpool and took the tram to Fleetwood for the ride.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: