Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
16th Apr (1987)
~ Tulyar arrives at Swanley New Barn Railway (link)

Train RunningCancelled
22:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
22:44 Taunton to Bristol Temple Meads
17/04/24 00:45 London Paddington to Reading
Short Run
15:14 Exeter Central to Barnstaple
15:28 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
18:29 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
19:56 Cardiff Central to Taunton
23:24 Didcot Parkway to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 16, 2024, 16:17:14 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[272] Problems with the Night Riviera sleeper - December 2014 onward...
[97] New station at Ashley Down, Bristol
[89] Okehampton
[48] Our first Interrail tour
[34] Proposals for open access services on new routes
[31] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1253832 times)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1860 on: June 21, 2017, 01:10:05 »

Aren't Network Rail picking up these delay minutes? Hardly fault of GWR (Great Western Railway)?

Whilst the initial course of the disruption my well-being Network Rail's fault, GWR are responsible for minimising the resulting delays.  This is something they continue to be woeful at doing.  Removing operational staff at Cardiff, Westbury and Oxford recently is an indication of how ridiculous their strategy for improvement is.

They have become much better at dealing with planned disruption, such as engineering blockades, but continue to fall apart when dealing with unplanned disruption.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1861 on: June 21, 2017, 05:05:15 »

The air handling system on an HST (High Speed Train) (Mk3) coach is very similar to the design used on Mk2 (Mark 2 coach) d, e, f.  These air con systems were design for a 50/50% split in each coach being smoking and non smoking, can you remember those day  Lips sealed  The air flow is designed for enter at the non smoking end and extracted from the smoking end.  Its quite a big ask for the air handling unit to do this, where as modern trains 387 etc have a much more distributed air handling system.

I never cease to be a-mazed at the depth of knowledge and the things I learn here.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #1862 on: June 21, 2017, 05:26:09 »

Aren't Network Rail picking up these delay minutes? Hardly fault of GWR (Great Western Railway)?

Whilst the initial course of the disruption my well-being Network Rail's fault, GWR are responsible for minimising the resulting delays.

How do the "financials" stack up?   Is the system set up so that it's in a TOCs (Train Operating Company) short term financial interest to minimise NR» (Network Rail - home page) caused delays?

One can imagine a scenario (surely not the case?) where a delay that a third party such as Network Rail leads to increasing compensation payments to the TOC the more minutes that can be attributed back to it.  If compensation received is more than compensation paid out, this would lead to an accountant's temptation to discourage measures that would get things back on schedule quicker.

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: June 21, 2017, 05:39:07 »

Whilst the initial course of the disruption my well-being Network Rail's fault, GWR are responsible for minimising the resulting delays.

How do the "financials" stack up?   Is the system set up so that it's in a TOCs (Train Operating Company) short term financial interest to minimise NR» (Network Rail - home page) caused delays?

One can imagine a scenario (surely not the case?) where a delay that a third party such as Network Rail leads to increasing compensation payments to the TOC the more minutes that can be attributed back to it.  If compensation received is more than compensation paid out, this would lead to an accountant's temptation to discourage measures that would get things back on schedule quicker.

I can recall a number of discussions on this topic, GWR have been asked on several occasions for the figures as to compensation received from NR v compensation paid out to customers for given incidents and whilst they have always refused to disclose it there is little doubt that the former massively outweighs the latter - for one thing, the compensation from NR is contractual and doesn't rely on individuals claiming it (and being prepared to wait for weeks/months for a reply) - so whilst GWR are perversely indirectly incentivised to string out delays  I wouldn't suggest that they do that, good old fashioned incompetence/inefficiency is the main reason, however resting easy in the knowledge that they are going to be compensated by NR certainly takes the commercial heat out of the situation for them (whilst their customers melt in the heat!)

If you hit GWR with a Customer satisfaction KPI on which senior management bonuses/salary increases were dependent, then you would see some more urgency, it tends to concentrate minds wonderfully if the Boss thinks he's going to take a hit to the pocket.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:44:30 by TaplowGreen » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: June 21, 2017, 06:45:09 »

There's certainly a marked difference in the approach of GWR (Great Western Railway) to an NR» (Network Rail - home page) caused delay and one they've caused - that's nothing new.  Though as TG says the systems in place are woefully inadequate to deal with either.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: June 21, 2017, 07:22:09 »

This was a quote on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) Forum:

Just to sum up how awful yesterday was:

GWR (Great Western Railway) evening peak PPM(resolve) was just 1.6%
High Speed Services evening peak PPM was 3.8%
London/Thames Valley evening peak PPM was 0%
West evening PPM did better at 12.5%

A shocker of a day with just one train arriving into Paddington making PPM!

But obviously no danger of a Void Day being declared to ensure that all passengers affected receive something approaching adequate compensation??  No, no danger at all. 😒
charles_uk
Transport Scholar

thewalkingpage
View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: June 21, 2017, 10:52:15 »

But obviously no danger of a Void Day being declared to ensure that all passengers affected receive something approaching adequate compensation??  No, no danger at all. 😒

"Unlikely" according to GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Twitter team.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1867 on: June 21, 2017, 11:02:19 »

The magic word is 'day'. If that had happened at start of service, I suspect the Thames Valley & High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) charter grouos may have got one, but not for less than a full days disruption.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 15:54:44 by VickiS » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1868 on: June 21, 2017, 11:47:20 »

And also morexlikely when the delay minutes are atributable to themselves, rather than some other, like Network Rail in this case, who will fully refund GWR (Great Western Railway) for all costs/compensation for each & every minute atributed
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #1869 on: June 21, 2017, 12:18:32 »

And the money goes round and round and the train service doesn't improve.
Sixty3Closure

View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: June 21, 2017, 18:37:15 »

"Unlikely" according to GWR (Great Western Railway)'s Twitter team.

Is this the same Twitter team that were too busy to do updates on Monday due to individual queries? I think most of us can accept delays happen but GWR need to talk to their customers.

My train home was on time today except the usual 8 coach (or maybe 7) 125 was replaced by a 2 coach Turbo. On the train I did catch there was an announcement that air con was only working in one or two coaches and passengers should move to one of these coaches. Great advice except there's people standing in the aisle and others running up and down the platform trying to get on. It may have been well intentioned advice but it was met with withering scorn where I was standing.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: June 21, 2017, 19:10:19 »

Sounds truly horrific....the 1736 is packed at the best of times....suspect the High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) was nicked to transport the great unwashed to Glastonbury.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 15:55:27 by VickiS » Logged
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: June 21, 2017, 19:29:18 »

17:29 from Swansea
17:45 from Paddington
18:31 from Oxford
18:50 from Paddington

All cancelled and the 17:49 from Paddington is 5 car instead of 8, and 17:36 2 car instead of 8
All the units for the above services have failed apparently, that's quite a large proportion of HSTs (High Speed Train)
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: June 21, 2017, 21:08:16 »

Surprisingly good performance today from NR» (Network Rail - home page) and GWR (Great Western Railway).  A few delays/cancellations/short forms, but overall not too bad given it was the hottest day of the four day heatwave (hottest June days in over 40 years), the disruption of the previous three days (especially Monday) and sets being nicked for Glastonbury.

bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: June 21, 2017, 21:44:50 »

I've just taken a quick peek at Open Train Times - there are currently 9 trains queued on the UM between Hayes and Burnham but then you have to go back as far as Cholsey to find the next one - so I'd say the rush hour is most definitely not looking good.

A word of warning for those who may be relying on it for information, OTT (Open Train Times website) appears to be suffering from the heat as well as it seems to be lagging by over 5 minutes on the actual position of trains.

Just for interest there is a detailed explanation of the problems which affected OTT on Monday here - https://blog.opentraintimes.com/2017/06/19/post-incident-review/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: