06:18 Yeovil Pen Mill to Filton Abbey Wood
07:12 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
07:25 Worcester Shrub Hill to London Paddington
07:28 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
08:32 London Paddington to Cheltenham Spa
Delayed
05:23 Hereford to London Paddington
PollsOpen and recent polls
Open to 25/03 16:00 Easter Escape - to where?
Closed 2024-03-16 Should our rail network go cashless
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 19, 2024, 07:54:54 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[159] A daily picture from my recent travels
[78] Where would you recommend for an Easter Escape?
[68] More travels ... more looking at how others do it ...
[66] M25 motorway issue: a most illuminating Twitter thread.
[55] Briefing on forthcoming changes - from GWR on 14.3.2024
[35] Europeran Rail Timetable

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 302
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1240562 times)
SandTEngineer

View Profile
« Reply #3000 on: October 17, 2018, 18:51:21 »

Interesting comparison with a major incident in Hong Kong yesterday Roll Eyes

Bosses on Hong Kong’s underground network, known as being one of the best in the world, were forced to issue a grovelling apology after trains ran every 12 minutes.

Owners of the MTR network have apologised for Tuesday's delays and have brought in overseas experts to determine how they occurred.

MTR have announced that they will be making fares on the network half price for a day as a way of apologising.

99.9 percent of subway trains in Hong Kong arrive on time, with trains usually running every 2-4 minutes.

According to the South China Morning Post, delays on trains are so rare, there was nothing in the handbook on how to deal with the signal failure.

Three lines were affected by the signal failures

Passengers complained of waiting up to half an hour for a train with staff resorting to switching off escalators as a way of dealing with overcrowding.

Announcements on the tannoy told passengers that they would not be charged for their journey.

Buses and taxis felt the brunt of the delays with a usual taxi journey from Mong Kok to the Eastern Harbour Tunnel taking an hour and 10 minutes compared to the usual 25 minutes.

Trams were also affected with hundreds of people queueing at stops. Queues for ferries were also considerably long.

The issue was so severe, Chief Executive of the region Carrie Lam urged employers to be considerate to those turning up late to work.

She said: “If the railway malfunction has made workers late for work….I call on employers to be considerate.”

After six hours, the network returned to normal however passengers were still warned to allow extra time to complete their journeys.
Adelante_CCT
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: October 17, 2018, 19:24:19 »

Wasn't it them or somewhere in the far East recently who issued a grovelling public apology when a service departed something like 20 seconds early

Owners of the MTR network have apologised for Tuesday's delays and have brought in overseas experts to determine how they occurred.

Certainly won't be from the UK (United Kingdom)
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: October 17, 2018, 19:25:25 »

An empty 802 moving from North Pole to Bristol brought the wires down at Hanwell around 1930 last evening. Yet to hear how any evacuations happened, they can't still be on board, can they?

From an attribution viewpoint, I'm not yet clear whether the issue has into Hitachi, Great Western, Network Rail  or act-of-God origins. It may take a while to sort out - I understand (from yesterday) that there are still issues from the 2014 (was it?) issues at Dawlish of who picks up final bills.

On board - there may have been just a driver and I'm sure (s)he has long since been evacuated; I don't know if there's 'just' a tangle of wires or some more serious damage. No news (thank goodness) of anyone being hurt / rushed to hospital.

I wrote (s)he there - very interesting to learn yesterday at the GWR (Great Western Railway) stakeholder conference that although the company is pressing hard in gender neutral recruitment and looking to advertise vacancies and encourage across all communities, the train driver grade remains stubbornly male dominated.  Did I hear a figure of still just 7% of train drivers being ladies?

I was on the 20 03 Pad - Ply last night.  We left on time(ish), got to just past Old Oak Common, then were taken back into Paddington.  This was 21 00 so I thought it best to cut my losses, get a hotel and try in the morning.  I know the hotels in the Ealing/Brentford area so went there by tube, stayed in the Ealing Travelodge and travelled back from Brentford via Feltham and Reading.   Smooth trip, booked time from Reading (obviously started there) and back here in Plymouth around 14 30.   Wires down an occasional (and hopefully, fingers crossed, very rare) hazard of overhead electrification.

I'm sure we all wish Richard well, having just today been nominated for the "Smug traveller of the Year" award (sponsored by GWR) 🙂

I'm sorry you took what I said to be "smug" - far from it, I had things to do today which all went out the window because I didn't get back until 14 30 and realising that your best option is to get away from the area and get a hotel at 21 00 was not brilliant.  I'm certainly not smug.
Trowres
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: October 17, 2018, 19:44:06 »

RichardB, your post was the first I have seen that mentions anything about rescue of the stranded trains.

Does anyone know more of the story? - some of those trains were stuck between stations...
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: October 17, 2018, 20:07:36 »

An empty 802 moving from North Pole to Bristol brought the wires down at Hanwell around 1930 last evening. Yet to hear how any evacuations happened, they can't still be on board, can they?

From an attribution viewpoint, I'm not yet clear whether the issue has into Hitachi, Great Western, Network Rail  or act-of-God origins. It may take a while to sort out - I understand (from yesterday) that there are still issues from the 2014 (was it?) issues at Dawlish of who picks up final bills.

On board - there may have been just a driver and I'm sure (s)he has long since been evacuated; I don't know if there's 'just' a tangle of wires or some more serious damage. No news (thank goodness) of anyone being hurt / rushed to hospital.

I wrote (s)he there - very interesting to learn yesterday at the GWR (Great Western Railway) stakeholder conference that although the company is pressing hard in gender neutral recruitment and looking to advertise vacancies and encourage across all communities, the train driver grade remains stubbornly male dominated.  Did I hear a figure of still just 7% of train drivers being ladies?

I was on the 20 03 Pad - Ply last night.  We left on time(ish), got to just past Old Oak Common, then were taken back into Paddington.  This was 21 00 so I thought it best to cut my losses, get a hotel and try in the morning.  I know the hotels in the Ealing/Brentford area so went there by tube, stayed in the Ealing Travelodge and travelled back from Brentford via Feltham and Reading.   Smooth trip, booked time from Reading (obviously started there) and back here in Plymouth around 14 30.   Wires down an occasional (and hopefully, fingers crossed, very rare) hazard of overhead electrification.

I'm sure we all wish Richard well, having just today been nominated for the "Smug traveller of the Year" award (sponsored by GWR) 🙂

I'm sorry you took what I said to be "smug" - far from it, I had things to do today which all went out the window because I didn't get back until 14 30 and realising that your best option is to get away from the area and get a hotel at 21 00 was not brilliant.  I'm certainly not smug.

Cool your jets Richard, just a bit of tongue in cheek fun, hence the smiley.

I'm glad you got back to Plymouth OK. I was supposed to be heading there myself today to spend a few days with my aged parents and would be there now but for the hopeless state of the railway......fingers crossed I'll make it tomorrow.
RichardB

View Profile
« Reply #3005 on: October 17, 2018, 20:16:40 »

Jets duly cooled.  Good luck tomorrow.
didcotdean
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: October 17, 2018, 20:25:48 »

Seems the TV stoppers  will be running as split services late evening, Didcot-Reading (387) and Reading-Paddington (turbo), roughly half normal frequency.
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: October 17, 2018, 20:42:01 »

Jets duly cooled.  Good luck tomorrow.

Thanks Richard.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3008 on: October 17, 2018, 21:35:53 »

One comment I did see about being stuck on an electric 387 without power....that the door open button didn't work....whether that was usual for a door failure or as a result of having no power overhead, not sure.

But there were crossed legs for sure. Should the doors fail such that they aren't locked shut but have a manual lock lever?
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: October 17, 2018, 22:00:55 »

One comment I did see about being stuck on an electric 387 without power....that the door open button didn't work....whether that was usual for a door failure or as a result of having no power overhead, not sure.

But there were crossed legs for sure. Should the doors fail such that they aren't locked shut but have a manual lock lever?

Assuming we're talking toilet doors here?

If so, then if there's no power left (no juice and batteries depleted) the doors won't open - the last thing to go will be the emergency lighting.  They can be opened by hand using a certain amount of force (and then forced shut again) in an emergency, but if there's no power the toilet flush won't work either on a Class 387.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Surrey 455

View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: October 17, 2018, 22:04:00 »

Simon Calder has just been interviewed at Paddington...

Nice of him to take time off from America's Got The Pop Factor...

Would that be Simon Cowell? and Pop Idol / American Idol / [insert another awful karaoke singing TV show here]

hassaanhc

View Profile
« Reply #3011 on: October 18, 2018, 00:51:40 »

Update posted on GWR (Great Western Railway) Journeycheck

Cancellations to services between London Paddington and Reading
Due to damage to the overhead electric wires between London Paddington and Reading fewer trains are able to run on the Reading bound high speed line.
Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed or revised. Disruption is expected until the end of the day.
Customer Advice
Repairs are continuing overnight on the damaged section of overhead line equipment. During Thursday 18th October it is anticipated that a near normal peak hour service will be able to operate between Reading and London Paddington. There will however be some restrictions on the use of the line from London Paddington in the Ealing Broadway area which is utilised by the express services. This will limit the use of electric trains from London Paddington during the evening peak period which will result in a small number of train service cancellations / alterations.
Last Updated:18/10/2018 00:39
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: October 18, 2018, 10:05:12 »

Message posted on RailUKForums a couple of hours ago by member JN114:

1) The pantograph was raised, in a location not authorised for high speed changeover. It is unclear whether the raising of the pantograph was human error or mechanical failure.

2) When the pantograph did raise, it didn’t do so normally. The head of the pantograph remained stowed and the elbow impacted the contact wire. There is strong suggestion that the Pantograph had been tied down for its transit to the UK (United Kingdom) to Pistoria, and had not been untied for the journey to Stoke Gifford.
patch38
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: October 18, 2018, 10:16:29 »

Do we (they) know if the move to Stoke Gifford was supposed to be under electric traction or diesel?
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #3014 on: October 18, 2018, 11:32:24 »

Diesel. So 105 is very unlikely.

Seems someone might have forgotten their Swiss Army knife.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 199 200 [201] 202 203 ... 302
  Print  

Jump to: