Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 16:55 28 Mar 2024
* Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
16:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
17:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
17:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:55 Paignton to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 16:58:29 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1243750 times)
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: October 07, 2014, 14:48:16 »

My journey yesterday was Working from home (planned in advance so not a problem)..

Today however it went as follows:

1 Get up on time but check NR» (Network Rail - home page) site first.. trains running ok so carry on getting ready for work
2. Check Journey check (several times) -  no issue with 7.59 Maidenhead to Paddington
3. Get to station..as soon as previous service leaves it becomes apparent that the 7.59 is a class-180 not the usual HST (High Speed Train) - would have been good to know in advance as I've had got the preceding stopping service
4. Attempt to get on 7.59 departure - give up
5. Attempt to get on 8.02 departure - give up
6. Get on 8.11 departure but abandon it at Slough as it was sooo overcrowded
7. Get on 8.29 Slough to Paddington
8. Tweet FGW (First Great Western) re why journey check was not showing the change to the 7.59 (it never does show it when this happens)
9. FGW on twitter tweet to say (pretend) it was on there  Shocked
10. Get to work 40 minutes late so not bad all things considering but information is what we need.. 40 minutes late at work is ok when I have no early meetings but if that is going to happen I'd rather spend the time at home.. not platform swapping at Maidenhead  Roll Eyes
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 07, 2014, 14:51:55 »

My journey yesterday consisted of:

Woken by alarm on phone
Roll over to turn off alarm
Stare in disbelief at 06:30 text notifying of 20+ cancellations
Double check twitter and journeycheck
Roll over and go back to sleep

Sometime later I started working from home
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 07, 2014, 14:52:38 »

Out of interested following the problems yesterday are weekly ticket holders allowed to recover any of the cost of their ticket?

I thought I saw mention of this somewhere.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #63 on: October 07, 2014, 14:57:36 »

I would think so! Complete a claim with your details/delay. If you didn't travel, they may well also pay out, but I'd email or tweet them & find out before claiming.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 07, 2014, 14:58:16 »

I would think so! Complete a claim with your details/delay. If you didn't travel, they may well also pay out, but I'd email or tweet them & find out before claiming.

Many thanks

Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 07, 2014, 15:00:44 »

8. Tweet FGW (First Great Western) re why journey check was not showing the change to the 7.59 (it never does show it when this happens)

I saw it there this morning. The 07:34 (180) ex DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) was shown as cancelled due to train fault. The 07:06 High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) ex DID was shown as a 5 car rather than 8.

My interpretation was that the High Speed Train (HST) failed at OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) - or rather was not available after yesterday's chaos - and the 180 was run in place of the High Speed Train (HST).  The up Bristol called additionally at DID (07:31) to make up for the cancelled 07:34

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 17:18:00 by VickiS » Logged
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 07, 2014, 15:29:49 »

I saw it there this morning. The 07:34 (180) ex DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains) was shown as cancelled due to train fault. The 07:06 (HST (High Speed Train)) ex DID was shown as a 5 car rather than 8.

My interpretation was that the HST failed at OOC (Old Oak Common (depot)) - or rather was not available after yesterday's chaos - and the 180 was run in place of the HST.  The up Bristol called additionally at DID (07:31) to make up for the cancelled 07:34

What time did you see that? When I left home about 7.20 the 7.34 didcot departure was showing as cancelled but the 7.06 wasn't showing as any change from normal..

Still no excuse for not telling us at the station.. unless they didn't know either?
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 07, 2014, 17:44:32 »

Apparently FGW (First Great Western) Tweeted that the delays of the 6th October are NOT disruptive enough for it to be classed a void day... :-x

Grin Grin Grin Grin
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 07, 2014, 19:21:23 »

That really really gets my goat. It displays a level of arrogance that I find both absurd and upsetting.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 07, 2014, 19:45:23 »

Hmmm. If they advise people not to travel (did they?) then I think it is very suspect not to declare a void day.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 07, 2014, 19:55:05 »

Hmmm. If they advise people not to travel (did they?) then I think it is very suspect not to declare a void day.

Very valid point John R
Timmer
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 07, 2014, 20:03:25 »

Apparently FGW (First Great Western) Tweeted that the delays of the 6th October are NOT disruptive enough for it to be classed a void day... :-x
That really beggars belief with the amount of delays and cancelations that took place. Anyone know what the threshold is set at to declare a void day?
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 07, 2014, 20:13:50 »

Who sets the criteria for a void day?  I would have thought it would have been in FGW (First Great Western)'s interests to declare it void. So presumably something must have stopped them.
thetrout

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2014, 20:29:30 »

That really beggars belief with the amount of delays and cancelations that took place. Anyone know what the threshold is set at to declare a void day?

Well someone asked that very question. More recent twitter talk suggests that it is being reviewed again however.

FGWs tweet 7th October AM

Grin Grin Grin Grin
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2014, 20:30:48 »

What time did you see that? When I left home about 7.20 the 7.34 didcot departure was showing as cancelled but the 7.06 wasn't showing as any change from normal..

Still no excuse for not telling us at the station.. unless they didn't know either?

It was after I got to work at 07:45. I was looking at various information regarding late running on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) and wanted to clarified a cancellation on FGW (First Great Western).  That is when I picked up the details.

Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: