16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 15:05:26 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1255184 times)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #75 on: October 07, 2014, 20:55:46 »

Void days are entirely in the choice of the operator....
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 07, 2014, 20:56:22 »

Apparently FGW (First Great Western) Tweeted that the delays of the 6th October are NOT disruptive enough for it to be classed a void day... :-x
That really beggars belief with the amount of delays and cancelations that took place. Anyone know what the threshold is set at to declare a void day?

Well someone asked that very question. More recent twitter talk suggests that it is being reviewed again however.

FGWs tweet 7th October AM

There was some further Twitter discussion in this thread: FGWs tweet 7th October PM

In particular Leo says "That's correct, out of 814 planned LTV (London [and] Thames Valley) services yesterday, 146 didn't run."

I've just checked RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) for Twyford last night between 1700 and 1900. Of the 30 services due to call, 17 were cancelled. Of the 13 which did run, 7 were Henley Branch trains (one of which should have started from PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) but didn't). So how did they come up with 146 out of 814 not running?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #77 on: October 07, 2014, 21:04:19 »

Assuming your delay qualifies (and if it doesn't, why do you think you are hard done by?), you would get the same comp with the delay payment as you will if a void day is declared...equivalent to your fare refunded (for daily ticket/7day season) or a days equivalent on a monthly or longer season.

I don't see the complaint?....
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 21:09:34 by ChrisB » Logged
John R

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 07, 2014, 21:11:03 »

Do you get a refund on a longer dated season. I thought the only compensation was either a void day or a 5% discount if the overall performance warrants it. As the performance is already beyond that threshold, it costs FGW (First Great Western) nothing, whereas if they declare a void day it does.

Looking at Chippenham as an example, of the 13 trains timetabled to leave before noon for Paddington, only 4 made it the whole way, four stopped short at Reading and 5 were cancelled. Of the four that made it through the average delay was 108 minutes, with the 0725 being delayed for 2 hrs 38 mins.

If that wasn't enough disruption to declare a void day, I don't know what is.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #79 on: October 07, 2014, 21:14:51 »

Indeed, claiming comp gives you vouchers usable across ticketing, void day extends your season. Which would you find more useful?

Good point re monthly/longer seasons. Void day extends your season, otherwise it would count towards a 5% didcount. If that kicks in, it will cost FGW (First Great Western) more..if it doesn't, they gain.

My point re weeklies & daily tickets is correct though.

But it is entirely choice of the TOC (Train Operating Company)
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #80 on: October 07, 2014, 21:18:06 »

Interesting though....

The perpetrator (Network Rail this time) would ultimately pay the full comp paid out by the TOC (Train Operating Company). Who (and how on earth is it calculated?!) would they cover a void day declared?
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2014, 09:03:54 »

Assuming your delay qualifies (and if it doesn't, why do you think you are hard done by?), you would get the same comp with the delay payment as you will if a void day is declared...equivalent to your fare refunded (for daily ticket/7day season) or a days equivalent on a monthly or longer season.

I don't see the complaint?....

My thoughts are that by saying this wasn't a void day then FGW (First Great Western) are saying this didn't have a notable impact to the majority of travellers on that day - almost like saying 'these things happen and we don't owe you an apology' - which i find arrogant and disrespectful to paying customers.

By having to claim individually passengers a) have to write in themselves; b) are subject to the extremely inconsistent approach applied by FGW customer service.

Given that many many people won't be bothered to do this* and FGW will be recompensed themselves by NR» (Network Rail - home page) we run the risk of creating the moral hazard that TOC (Train Operating Company)'s may come to regard such incidents as 'nice little earners' which I find objectionable.

*i have no stats on what proportion of travellers will actually claim.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2014, 10:29:26 »

Once smartcards are introduced, auto-compensation will be easily assessable (your train journey will be recorded, so proof you travelled when you say you did) and therefore payable.
Until then, the TOC (Train Operating Company) doesn't know who travelled at what time, and thus needs to know. Not everyone would have been delayed by the full (two hours is it) amount to be entitled to full refund.

In this case, I think I'm with the TOC...
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2014, 10:33:12 »

And what of those who didn't travel because they were told not to?
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2014, 10:34:17 »

Once smartcards are introduced, auto-compensation will be easily assessable (your train journey will be recorded, so proof you travelled when you say you did) and therefore payable.
Until then, the TOC (Train Operating Company) doesn't know who travelled at what time, and thus needs to know. Not everyone would have been delayed by the full (two hours is it) amount to be entitled to full refund.

In this case, I think I'm with the TOC...

What about people who bought Advance tickets for a specific train via the FGW (First Great Western) website? They would have all the customers details and would be able to refund automatically with no need for a claim if it was cancelled?.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2014, 10:40:58 »

Indeed, agreed - but that applies to all TOCs (Train Operating Company) and thus becomes an ATOC» (Association of Train Operating Companies See - here) issue - suggest taking it up through Passenger Focus maybe?
brizzlechris

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2014, 12:55:01 »

Tweet from @FGW (First Great Western): "Following Mondays disruption we're offering compensation to affected Season Ticket Holders. We'll be in contact directly with more details."

https://twitter.com/FGW/status/519811385715617792
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 09, 2014, 07:23:25 »

And so today we have a signalling failure between Twyford (TWY (Twyford station)) and Maidenhead (MAI (Maidenhead station)) affecting all lines...  Angry

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 17:14:43 by VickiS » Logged
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 09, 2014, 07:29:39 »

Having just boarded at maidenhead on the delayed 7.08 I'm sorry to say that there were no station announcements, no platform staff to ask, no update on journeycheck, and once onboard no acknowledgement of the delay by the TM(resolve).

... So I came here to find out the cause...  Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 09, 2014, 07:39:54 »

To add to those delays the 7.59am High Speed Train (HST (High Speed Train)) has been replaced by a Class-180 for the second time this week. So late to work again then... Huh'

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 17:15:32 by VickiS » Logged
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: