16:31 Barnstaple to Axminster
Delayed
13:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
PollsThere are no open or recent polls
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
April 19, 2024, 14:34:24 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[226] Rail to refuge / Travel to refuge
[107] Rail delay compensation payments hit £100 million
[46] Difficult to argue with e-bike/scooter rules?
[43] Signage - not making it easy ...
[9] IETs at Melksham
[8] Ferry just cancelled - train tickets will be useless - advice?

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 306
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1255180 times)
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: October 12, 2014, 15:37:05 »

I understand your problem only too well. But if problems keep happening and p****ing off the paying public, who's going to take the can? Something has to happen to sort it.

I do appreciate that problems will keep happening and yes it would be so much better if Network Rail (NR» (Network Rail - home page)) and their contractors could do a better job. However as a member of the paying public, what is p***ing me off so much is FGW (First Great Western)'s attitude to their customers.

It seems to me that whenever there is any disruption we're left to fend for ourselves standing on platforms listening to just a few automated announcements and with inaccurate information being displayed on screens, especially trains just disappearing for no reason.

Yes FGW are improving, they're getting better at announcing revised plans in advance. However these plans are not always well-thought out, for example they often involve removing fast services to and from Twyford and Maidenhead while at the same time leaving 45-60 minute gaps in the stopping service at peak hours. In any case, what's the logic in passengers to and from Twyford (TWY (Twyford station)) and Maidenhead (MAI (Maidenhead station)) having to fight for space with those from Southall and Hayes?

Meanwhile FGW's most loyal customers, annual season ticket holders like myself, just get the same old 5% renewal discount as if performance had been just generally bad enough to fall beneath the trigger level. Yes I know that's the rule throughout the industry but is it really fair?

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 16:31:11 by VickiS » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #166 on: October 12, 2014, 15:43:33 »

Not much....gone beyond apologies now, in my view.
stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 12, 2014, 20:09:58 »

I seem to recall there was another furious outbreak of messages some months ago so the problems are, as I said, ongoing.

I'm not getting at the workers but please would somebody (a) at a very senior level in Network Rail say we're sorry (seems partly to have been done); (b) at a very senior level within NR» (Network Rail - home page) say what they're going to actually do to get a serious and realistic grip on the problem and follow it through; and (c) persuade FGW (First Great Western) to cough up properly for what happened on Monday (though ultimately that should be for NR's account).

OK the Great Western line may not have seen serious investment for years but that is part of the challenge NR has to face. If there are serious issues then how about being upfront about it and say we have a problem because of past under investment, this is what we propose to do to deal with it and these are short term knock-on consequences. Nobody likes (constant) surprises.
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 13, 2014, 19:40:46 »

OK the Great Western line may not have seen serious investment for years but that is part of the challenge NR» (Network Rail - home page) has to face. If there are serious issues then how about being upfront about it and say we have a problem because of past under investment, this is what we propose to do to deal with it and these are short term knock-on consequences. Nobody likes (constant) surprises.

That will not be said in public much now, it upsets the principle funders .............. Her Majesty's Gouvernment (HMG)

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 16:34:16 by VickiS » Logged

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 13, 2014, 23:29:08 »

I see there were posters up at main stations today, with a personal apology from from FGW (First Great Western) MD Mark Hopwood.

I agree with others that we need to be seeing apologies from Network Rail, perhaps  by video and posted on National Rail and FGW's websites. Has there even been any NR» (Network Rail - home page) spokesperson on record in recent days, across the media?

I know that's unlikely, but Network Rail are very quick to engage the media with the positive news stories that the GWML (Great Western Main Line) improvements are bringing. Those fancy timelapse videos are brilliant and I predict we'll see more when the mobile knitting machines come out.

However when Network Rail fupp up they should be on record apologising.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #170 on: October 14, 2014, 09:08:01 »

The LCD screens at major stations that belong to Network Rail are trailing an apology from them and FGW (First Great Western). But yes, the Route MD apologising live on major news programmes should happen the day of disruption
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 14, 2014, 09:18:45 »

The LCD screens at major stations that belong to Network Rail are trailing an apology from them and FGW (First Great Western). But yes, the Route MD apologising live on major news programmes should happen the day of disruption

Not sure I agree with the logic here Smiley

Most of the people who would benefit from the apology will probably be stuck on trains !
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #172 on: October 14, 2014, 09:40:10 »

But too late for broadcast news the day after....its done, dusted & that day's news takes priority
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 14, 2014, 09:51:30 »

But too late for broadcast news the day after....its done, dusted & that day's news takes priority

That is also true.

stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 15, 2014, 12:38:51 »

That will not be said in public much now, it upsets the principle funders .............. Her Majesty's Gouvernment (HMG)

Perhaps a co-ordinated campaign of letters to travellers' MPs (Member of Parliament) might help. If their postbags start bulging questions will be asked.

Also, Her Majesty's Gouvernment (HMG) might get some credibility by being upfront about the past lack of investment and saying they're trying to correct it. But I suppose honesty is not a concept that is well understood by many MPs (unless you're the Member for Clacton........?)

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronym
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 16:38:07 by VickiS » Logged
grahame
Administrator

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #175 on: October 15, 2014, 13:21:55 »

There is an apology on the Network Rail Web Site at

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co.uk/News-Releases/Network-Rail-comment-on-this-week-s-disruption-on-the-Great-Western-Main-Line-2183.aspx

and it includes

"This week we have not been able to provide the reliability passengers expect for which we apologise. We are wholly focused on delivering a new, modern, reliable rail network for London and the West."

Is it my mis-reading, or does that say "we're totally looking to the future, and not giving any attention to the chaos we might be causing while we're doing so"?

There is  also have an apology at the stations ...

Anyone care to type in that URL?   Is it practical?  Grin

Coffee Shop Admin, Acting Chair of Melksham Rail User Group, Option 24/7 Melksham Rep
Oxonhutch
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 15, 2014, 13:35:28 »

Clicky here

Does not appear to link me directly to where one can claim compensation though ...
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 15, 2014, 15:51:59 »

Anyone care to type in that URL?   Is it practical?  Grin

Maybe if it was more practical more people would claim? Not accusing anyone but its a theory... Wink

stebbo

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 15, 2014, 15:57:28 »

And perhaps people could bombard Patrick Hallgate - the route director for Western Region at NR» (Network Rail - home page). I see he's quoted in the local press around Oxford about electrification and redoubling to Hanborough and Charlbury in the 2020s.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 15, 2014, 16:12:40 »

And perhaps people could bombard Patrick Hallgate - the route director for Western Region at NR» (Network Rail - home page). I see he's quoted in the local press around Oxford about electrification and redoubling to Hanborough and Charlbury in the 2020s.

Alternatively email fgw.feedback@firstgroup.com with the following

1) A photograph of your ticket (and photo ID if applcable)
2) Date and time of your affected journey as well as the start and end points.

And then wait for them to reply with other information such as inside leg measurement which you didn't think they needed at the time of sending the original email.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 306
  Print  

Jump to: