Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 14:35 28 Mar 2024
- Man held over stabbing in front of train passengers
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Jet2 launches first flight from Liverpool airport
* Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
13:00 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
13:26 Weston-Super-Mare to London Paddington
13:28 Weymouth to Gloucester
13:30 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
14:13 Par to Newquay
14:19 Westbury to Swindon
15:10 Newquay to Par
15:14 Swindon to Westbury
15:16 London Paddington to Cardiff Central
15:30 Bristol Temple Meads to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
Short Run
11:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
11:29 Weymouth to Gloucester
11:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
11:48 London Paddington to Carmarthen
12:03 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 London Paddington to Weston-Super-Mare
13:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
13:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
14:05 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
Delayed
10:04 London Paddington to Penzance
12:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 14:52:03 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[142] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[80] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[56] Return of the BRUTE?
[46] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[43] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[34] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1243706 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: October 15, 2014, 16:24:07 »

Anyone care to type in that URL?   Is it practical?  Grin

Maybe if it was more practical more people would claim? Not accusing anyone but its a theory... Wink

I think you've hit the nail on the head..........the trickier and less well publicised it is, the fewer people will bother.......how often during "normal" periods of disruption are customers proactively advised as to how they can claim compensation? I can never remember it happening.......ooooh aren't I cynical!  Cheesy
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 15, 2014, 16:57:59 »

Actually as a statement I quite like that URL - it shows where FGW (First Great Western) thinks the blame should lie.
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 15, 2014, 22:32:59 »

From ITV News:

First Great Western apologise for rail chaos

The MP (Member of Parliament) Rob Wilson has received a letter of apology and explanation from Network Rail and First Great Western following last week^s travel chaos. The severe disruption resulted in train delays and cancellations - it took some people 5 hours to complete their journey.

The joint letter from Patrick Hallgate, Route Managing Director for Network Rail, and Mark Hopwood, Managing Director for First Great Western, acknowledged that performance had been ^well below the standards customers should expect^ and that the organisations were sorry for the ^frustration and inconvenience^ felt by passengers.

The delays and disruptions were caused by signalling failures. Billions are being invested in the rail network to replace and modernise older equipment and improve signalling.

Rob Wilson said, ^It^s good that Network Rail and First Great Western have apologised for the severe disruptions to the network. It^s important that the service providers recognise the immense frustration felt by commuters when the system grinds to halt. Whilst apologies and explanations are welcome, they will be of little comfort to commuters who have to suffer when trains are delayed and cancelled. There is huge investment going into transport infrastructure in Reading and the surrounding areas, but without improved performance and increased reliability this investment will be immaterial."

Yes it's good that Patrick Hallgate is now on record apologising, but I have a great deal of sympathy for FGW (First Great Western). It's they that get all the brick-bats from the travelling public despite being entirely blameless for last week's travel disruption. I'm aware that once you put your name on the side of a train you become the public face of the entire industry. I also appreciate that many folk are unaware that the train operator does not have responsibility for the infrastructure. That said, I'm not entirely comfortable with apologies being given by blameless parties. It would, I think, be much better for the party at fault to be making the apologies. Through the operator if needs be, worded something like:

"Network Rail would like to apologise to all First Great Western passengers..."

A joint letter to an MP is a start, but I'd like to see more humble pie eating by Patrick Hallgate for last week's debacle.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 15, 2014, 23:30:14 »

Might be a coincidence, but the wagons in Langley sidings haven't been filled up with foundation posts to be installed each night since last week's problems.  Work halted whilst things are investigated?

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
JayMac
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 15, 2014, 23:35:01 »

Might be a coincidence, but the wagons in Langley sidings haven't been filled up with foundation posts to be installed each night since last week's problems.  Work halted whilst things are investigated?

With GWML (Great Western Main Line) electrification already seriously over-budget it won't be helpful if work has had to be halted.

"Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for the rest of the day. Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

- Sir Terry Pratchett.
Oxman
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 15, 2014, 23:46:38 »

This work is down to Crossrail and has been subcontracted to Balfour Beatty, who operate from the sidings at Langley. GWML (Great Western Main Line) is paying for electrification from Maidenhead (exclusive) westwards.
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 16, 2014, 07:12:48 »

This made the news on the TV this morning too.. They said that the electrification work would be put on hold/slowed down whilst they worked out how to stop this sort of thing happening..

Incidentally there are signalling problems again this morning.. My train is cancelled... Huh
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 16, 2014, 07:41:57 »

My train this morning, the 0653 from TWY (Twyford station) (0620 from DID» (Didcot Parkway - next trains)) wasn't delayed into PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) but it did arrive into HEx Platform 6!
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 16, 2014, 07:43:47 »

The problems this morning are immediately outside Paddington.
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 16, 2014, 07:44:57 »

Track circuit failures outside Paddington which is a repeat of a fault from earlier on this week.  Track circuits are failing because of what's known as 'wet beds'. Basically the track bed is saturated and is not draining properly.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:50:24 by a-driver » Logged
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 16, 2014, 08:11:10 »

Track circuit failures outside Paddington which is a repeat of a fault from earlier on this week.  Track circuits are failing because of what's known as 'wet beds'. Basically the track bed is saturated and is not draining properly.

Leaves, rain, sunshine, heat, cold, ice or snow............can all be guaranteed to bring the railway to a grinding halt............tricky stuff is weather!  Roll Eyes
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 16, 2014, 08:25:54 »

Luckily I have a very understanding employer.. Goodness knows what people who don't have that do..
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #192 on: October 16, 2014, 08:27:49 »

We haven't even had excessive rain either....

But Ex-hurricane Gonzalo due next week....ho hum
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 16, 2014, 08:47:51 »

We haven't even had excessive rain either....

But Ex-hurricane Gonzalo due next week....ho hum

The amount of lines that have flooded across the country in the past few months with minimal rainfall is testament to the fact that Network Rail's maintenance is severely lacking.
Surely Network Rails delay minutes must be steadily rising yet no one at the DfT» (Department for Transport - about) is in the slightest bit concerned or they've choosen to turn a blind eye.  The last two freight train derailments on the network investigated by the RAIB (Rail Accident Investigation Branch) have both come back highlighting track faults as a cause.

Just listening to the radio and they're reporting delays between Chelsmford and Liverpool St of appx 45 minutes due to....... signalling problems
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:55:05 by a-driver » Logged
TonyK
Global Moderator

The artist formerly known as Four Track, Now!

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 16, 2014, 10:52:24 »

Carnage all day, according to Journey Check.

Now, please!
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: