Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 19:55 28 Mar 2024
* Easter getaways hit by travel disruption
- Where Baltimore bridge investigation goes now
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
- Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1992)
MOD Kineton tour, branch line society (*)

Train RunningCancelled
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
19:23 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:35 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:20 Reading to Shalford
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
21:30 Shalford to Reading
21:53 Newbury to Bedwyn
22:25 Bedwyn to Newbury
22:47 Newbury to Bedwyn
Short Run
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 London Paddington to Plymouth
17:50 Gloucester to Salisbury
18:03 London Paddington to Penzance
18:19 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
18:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
18:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
19:04 Paignton to London Paddington
19:06 London Paddington to Bedwyn
19:13 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
19:29 Gatwick Airport to Reading
20:03 London Paddington to Plymouth
20:11 Salisbury to Bristol Temple Meads
20:42 Bedwyn to London Paddington
21:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
Delayed
16:15 Penzance to London Paddington
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
Additional 17:26 Castle Cary to Penzance
19:04 London Paddington to Plymouth
An additional train service has been planned to operate as shown 19:40 Redhill to Reading
19:54 Reading to Gatwick Airport
19:59 Gatwick Airport to Reading
23:04 Reading to Bedwyn
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 20:08:35 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[118] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[116] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[89] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[46] Return of the BRUTE?
[38] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[28] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1243884 times)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #405 on: December 08, 2014, 08:15:41 »

Hold it together with Gaffer tape and hope for the best - the picture is a metaphor for the whole system.....
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 08, 2014, 08:44:45 »

Delays of about an hour from Reading to Paddington. I've been on this service for 65 minutes now and am stationary at Heathrow junction
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 08, 2014, 09:54:36 »

Happy Monday everybody! Looks like we need some more tape!

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 08, 2014, 10:23:08 »

Happy Monday everybody! Looks like we need some more tape!

Due to signalling problems between London Paddington and Slough some lines are closed.
Impact:
Train services running to and from these stations may be delayed by up to 60 mins or revised. Disruption is expected until 15:00 08/12.

.........it was 1100, now it's 1500.........rush hour should be fun Angry
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 08, 2014, 10:40:53 »

Definitely fun and games this morning. Firstly my train (7.59 from Maidenhead to Paddington) was unexpectedly in reverse formation (I am assuming this magically happened in between Tilehurst and Maidenhead) which resulted in anyone trying to use First Class having to run the length of the platform only to find First Class (2 1/2 carriages of it) was already full!!  Angry

Having shoe horned as many people as possible on to this train with no mention of any delays we set off.. We only made it as far as just west of Slough before we stopped and then were told to expect an hours delay (which turned out to be pretty accurate).

If they had told us about the hour delays at Maidenhead I (and I am sure many others who could) would have given up and gone home to work from there, making the train less overcrowded and pleasant for those who really had to get into London

Yet again FGW (First Great Western)'s communication was sadly lacking
broadgage
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 08, 2014, 11:52:51 »

Yet again, network rail signalling fails, this is not the fault of FGW (First Great Western) but it seems  that they could have responded better regarding information.
These breakdowns are no longer rare or exceptional events but are becoming the "new normal".

When the sums were done regarding the benefits of electrification, did anyone consider the costs of these frequent major breakdowns ?
Suppose that the new electric railway lasts for say 25 years before major renewals are needed. Then consider 5 years of frequent major disruptions whilst the work is done.
I suspect that the millions of delay minutes caused by the works might NEVER be offset by increased reliability when the work is completed. I.E. that the 30 year total of delays (5 years of disruption followed by 25 years of normal operation) might be greater than simply carrying on with diesel power.
Add to that the fact that the electrification works are bound to take much longer and to cost much more than forecast, and that electrification adds something else to fail.

A proper intercity train has a minimum of 8 coaches, gangwayed throughout, with first at one end, and a full sized buffet car between first and standard.
It has space for cycles, surfboards,luggage etc.
A 5 car DMU (Diesel Multiple Unit) is not a proper inter-city train. The 5+5 and 9 car DMUs are almost as bad.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #411 on: December 08, 2014, 11:59:41 »

Indeed, expect the wires to come down....

I don't think that there's much choice frankly, diesel trains are on their way out. ERTMS (European Rail Traffic Management System.) in cab) signalling may help....

Needs putting down to the under-investment over decades & several Governments.
Red Squirrel
Administrator

There are some who call me... Tim

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 08, 2014, 12:04:57 »

...diesel trains are on their way out...

If they hadn't decided to electify, they'd have still needed to raise the bridges to accommodate the filtration equipment on stage IIIB-complaint diesel trains.

Things take longer to happen than you think they will, and then they happen faster than you thought they could.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 08, 2014, 12:11:51 »

On the subject of electric trains, this rather interesting post in connection with a discussion about this morning's problems has just appeared on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) forum:

http://www.wnxxforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3979&start=400#p98044

Quote from: Vaclad10
NR» (Network Rail - home page) Service updates quotes "all electric traction had been suspended (with the exception of the Inter Terminal Transfer) and the signalling system will be monitored. 1140 / 1142 Departures will be re-instated with the system being monitored with 4 electric units on the network...

Looks like NR has considered that today's fault was being caused by HEx or HC trains?
tomL
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 08, 2014, 12:18:12 »

On the subject of electric trains, this rather interesting post in connection with a discussion about this morning's problems has just appeared on the WNXX (Stored Unserviceable, Mainline Locos HQ All Classes) forum:

http://www.wnxxforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3979&start=400#p98044

Quote from: Vaclad10
NR» (Network Rail - home page) Service updates quotes "all electric traction had been suspended (with the exception of the Inter Terminal Transfer) and the signalling system will be monitored. 1140 / 1142 Departures will be re-instated with the system being monitored with 4 electric units on the network...

Looks like NR has considered that today's fault was being caused by HEx or HC trains?

HEX are better IMO (in my opinion) at saying it how it is. Taking a look at their Twitter feed their service has been on and off all morning at Network Rail's request. But the bigger eye-opener does seem to be, as you pointed out, is that can the signalling system handle electric traction?

I was under the impression there was works being carried out to prevent problems like this? Did they miss Acton?  Grin

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 08, 2014, 12:25:31 »

There's been a lot of work which is ongoing at improving the resilience of the overhead cables in certain areas between Paddington and Heathrow to prepare it for much frequent traffic rather than just the six trains each way per hour it currently gets.  Acton is one area that is undergoing a lot of work (as well as lots of ongoing work building the new fly-under), so perhaps there was work last night that went wrong and has caused the problems today?

All I can find out is that a power failure was reported in the area at 05:22 this morning.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 08, 2014, 12:33:32 »

Disruption is expected to last until at least 4pm according to journeycheck.. I am starting to guess what the journey home is going to be like...
Jason

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 08, 2014, 13:06:40 »

Disruption is expected to last until at least 4pm according to journeycheck.. I am starting to guess what the journey home is going to be like...

The only positive I can take from this is that I'll be working so late this evening in order to make up the time I lost coming in that there's a better chance of a clear run.

Last week was pretty poor, with repeated morning delays of 10 mins between Reading and Paddington, mainly centred around Southall.
Saturday was torrid.
This morning was just horrendous.
BBM
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 08, 2014, 13:17:59 »

Quite possibly no fasts to Maidenhead (MAI (Maidenhead station)) or Twyford (TWY (Twyford station)) with only a half-hourly stopping service of 5-car (if we're lucky) Turbos? Hopefully it won't be the case, at the moment on RTT» (Real Time Trains - website) it looks like there are no major delays east of RDG(resolve) (only a few mins here and there) but the overall service is reduced by about 50% with the Reliefs still closed east of Southall.

Edit: VickiS - Clarifying Acronyms
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 08:39:54 by VickiS » Logged
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #419 on: December 08, 2014, 13:19:57 »

Network Rail tweeted earlier...

08/12/2014 11:03
@willguyatt At present the cause is believe to be a fault in the data transferring between signals.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: