Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:15 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1917)
Bideford, Westward Ho! and Appledore closed (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:00 London Paddington to Bristol Temple Meads
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:33:10 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: A forum for passengers ... with input from rail professionals welcomed too

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1243763 times)
lordgoata
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #480 on: December 12, 2014, 14:38:46 »

And the earlier train I catch twice a week from Maidenhead has just 33% for the arriving in time for the past 100 days! I keep saying its always late, now I have proof Smiley (Its ALWAYS held up due to some poxy freight train. Maybe one day they will change the timetable to reflect the real time it actually runs at....
Western Enterprise

View Profile Email
« Reply #481 on: December 12, 2014, 15:13:54 »

Some others are very poor though - the 08:35, too late for most commuters, but still a busy train is at only 43%!

The 08.35 is one I catch often, and it has never been on time. It stops in the country platforms , sometimes coupling up with another Turbo Unit in front, and sometimes its 'doors to manual' with one open per carriage !
I have just written complaint letter #1 to FGW (First Great Western)  Grin
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #482 on: December 14, 2014, 11:11:13 »

You may be interested in http://recenttraintimes.co.uk/ which sets all these figures out in black and white. Or, more often, red.

Maidenhead to Paddington's most punctual fast train in the peaks appears to be the 07:59 with a 90% chance of a 5 minute or less delay at Paddington.  Some others are very poor though - the 08:35, too late for most commuters, but still a busy train is at only 43%!

Coming back the 17:35 has a 100% record which is pretty impressive.  Less impressive is the 45% recorded by the semi-fast 17:42 train.

Data based on the last three months.  A very useful website, but it's a shame longer time periods can't be analysed, as whilst three months sounds quite a long time, it is in fact only 60 or so occurrences of a given train of course.

I agree that the 7.59 appears to be the most punctual.. The train almost always gets to Paddington on time. However those stats don't show that not always all the passengers get there on time even if the train does.. If the HST (High Speed Train) that forms this set has an issue then it gets replaced with a class-180.. So probably 3/8 of the passengers are then delayed..
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #483 on: December 21, 2014, 09:17:00 »

Delays to services between Swindon and Didcot Parkway
Due to over-running engineering works between Swindon and Didcot Parkway all lines will be blocked.
Impact:
Train services running through these stations may be delayed by up to 30 mins. Disruption is expected until 13:00 21/12.

Good luck to anyone heading home by train for Christmas - not a very good start today!  Sad
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #484 on: December 21, 2014, 09:23:03 »

So far, fingers crossed, looking at the departure times from Swindon things don't look too bad.  Single line working has been introduced with trains from London using the Up line for the section between Uffington and the outskirts of Swindon.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #485 on: December 21, 2014, 10:23:18 »

I totally understand that signalling /track problems are outside of the TOCs (Train Operating Company) control but the last few months - in my opinion - are hardly a good incentive to travel by rail in our area.

Personally I despair every time I see "delays between XXX and YYY causing delays of up to..."

Is it me or has there always been a concentrated run of delays of this nature? Judging by the title of this thread it's been going on file a while but surely these cant be a knock on effect from the October 6th issue Smiley

(In the above example XXX and YYY are not real station codes before anyone notices Smiley )
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #486 on: December 21, 2014, 10:25:29 »

This morning's issues would more accurately be described as track problems.  They are struggling to fit a new/replacement point.
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #487 on: December 21, 2014, 10:31:16 »

This morning's issues would more accurately be described as track problems.  They are struggling to fit a new/replacement point.

Thanks for clarifying bobm. I sincerely hope travellers plans are not disrupted by this.  I would suggest that most members this forum are used to these delays but the occasional traveller may not be so understanding of individual problems
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #488 on: December 21, 2014, 10:35:01 »

Thanks for clarifying bobm. I sincerely hope travellers plans are not disrupted by this.  I would suggest that most members this forum are used to these delays but the occasional traveller may not be so understanding of individual problems

The heaviest delay I can spot is 12 minutes on the 08:37 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-SWA» (Swansea - next trains), so as 'bobm' said earlier this isn't causing any real problems.  Bi-directional signalling helps enourmously as such times, and it's good to see that such signalling flexibility is slowly being expanded on the network.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #489 on: December 21, 2014, 10:41:23 »

The heaviest delay I can spot is 12 minutes on the 08:37 PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-SWA» (Swansea - next trains), so as 'bobm' said earlier this isn't causing any real problems.  Bi-directional signalling helps enourmously as such times, and it's good to see that such signalling flexibility is slowly being expanded on the network.

If that's the limit of delays like you say that's not too bad and I totally agree about bi-directional running.i know someone that is coming up from Cardiff to Reading this morning so hopefully they won't be delayed too much if at all. I'm not sure what service they are on otherwise I would have a look out of curiosity
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #490 on: December 21, 2014, 20:10:10 »

If that's the limit of delays like you say that's not too bad and I totally agree about bi-directional running.i know someone that is coming up from Cardiff to Reading this morning so hopefully they won't be delayed too much if at all. I'm not sure what service they are on otherwise I would have a look out of curiosity

Unless of course you're travelling to Cheltenham, as virtually every service seems to be cancelled due to "a member of staff being unavailable" - Christmas parties?
bobm
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #491 on: December 21, 2014, 20:23:00 »

I think the problem in the morning was no one to take the HST (High Speed Train) stock from Bristol to Swindon to provide a set for the run to Cheltenham and thence to London.  That therefore meant three cancellations.

In the afternoon the problems weren't helped by the unit booked to work the service in between the cancelled Paddington services running with the sole toilet locked out of use.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #492 on: December 21, 2014, 21:15:07 »

There was over-running Engineering work twixt Didcot & Swindon till 1300, according to Journeycheck
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #493 on: December 22, 2014, 08:42:14 »

I think the problem in the morning was no one to take the HST (High Speed Train) stock from Bristol to Swindon to provide a set for the run to Cheltenham and thence to London.  That therefore meant three cancellations.

In the afternoon the problems weren't helped by the unit booked to work the service in between the cancelled Paddington services running with the sole toilet locked out of use.

I guess the question must be then why was no-one available to take the stock from Bristol to Swindon?

Signal problems again this morning it seems - Bristol TM(resolve) & Westbury/Pewsey......cancellations over the next couple of days are likely to cause real problems with trains already overcrowded for Christmas.

IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #494 on: December 22, 2014, 10:46:21 »

Signal problems again this morning it seems - Bristol TM(resolve) & Westbury/Pewsey......cancellations over the next couple of days are likely to cause real problems with trains already overcrowded for Christmas.

Again though, I'm struggling to find much real disruption from either issue - one early PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains)-BRI» (Bristol Temple Meads - next trains) cancelled and its return at 09:30 and a couple of trains in the Westbury area about 10 minutes late.  I'm sure if disruption of that magnitude is all we get this Christmas then staff and customers will be pretty pleased.

I think it was Graham that pointed out with modern information systems like journeycheck to refer to it can look like the network is always in turmoil when the reality is that a tiny percentage of passengers are actually being disrupted and without that information the rest would not realise anything was wrong.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: