Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
29th Mar (1913)
Foundation of National Union or Railwaymen (*)

Train RunningDelayed
21:45 Penzance to London Paddington
23:45 London Paddington to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 29, 2024, 01:31:57 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[98] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[97] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[86] Return of the BRUTE?
[74] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[53] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[23] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1244021 times)
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #495 on: December 22, 2014, 11:14:04 »

Snip

I think it was Graham that pointed out with modern information systems like journeycheck to refer to it can look like the network is always in turmoil when the reality is that a tiny percentage of passengers are actually being disrupted and without that information the rest would not realise anything was wrong.

In my opinion (and yes, I know I have said this before) these automated systems can be both a benefit and a pain in the proverbial - let me give you an example.

When I am travelling by train as soon as I can I check the app on my mobile (we are often talking 530 am here). If there have been overrunning engineering works then up until the last minute the services will show on time. However because the back end systems work on the principle a service is on time unless it is reported late (what else can it do!) local services in my part of the world (B&H (Berks and Hants - railway line from Reading to Taunton via Westbury) line) will show as on-time until their due departure date has passed.  As has been discussed previously the systems seem to have difficulty coping when services are delayed/cancelled/reinstated following interruption of service

On balance though they are an invaluable aid when planning my journey so I accept the limitations
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 23, 2014, 10:59:46 »

Due to signalling problems between London Paddington and Slough some lines are blocked.

Impact: Train services running to and from these stations may be cancelled, delayed by up to 30 mins or revised. An estimate for the resumption of normal services will be provided as soon as the problem has been fully assessed.

Customer Advice:
Owing to signalling problems affecting a couple of running lines in the Southall area, we are unable to operate the full timetabled service to and from London Paddington at present. There will be a reduction in the frequency of train services (in both directions) between London Paddington and Reading / Oxford. Any other train service cancellations or alterations will be advised on an individual basis.

..............Merry Christmas everyone!  Sad
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 13:22:24 by TaplowGreen » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #497 on: December 23, 2014, 16:19:09 »

Thankfully things are pretty much back to normal in time for the post-work London exodus!  At least this time you highlighted delays that were of some significance I suppose, rather than jumping on anything listed on journeycheck.

It's disappointing to see further signalling problems on the route into Paddington, even if disruption was contained to only a couple of hours this time and the majority of the long distance trains made their way through eventually.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 23, 2014, 18:31:01 »

Thankfully things are pretty much back to normal in time for the post-work London exodus!  At least this time you highlighted delays that were of some significance I suppose, rather than jumping on anything listed on journeycheck.

It's disappointing to see further signalling problems on the route into Paddington, even if disruption was contained to only a couple of hours this time and the majority of the long distance trains made their way through eventually.

...........I guess it's an indication of what is now "normal service" when I am criticised for pointing out a situation that caused the cancellation of a number of services to Cheltenham, several to Bristol and delays elsewhere on the network.........you have to see this in the context of a totally unacceptable level of service over the last few months which shows no signs of improving, an isolated incident here and there would not be worthy of comment, it's the relentless failures on a daily basis that all add up.......from now on I will count my blessings, chief amongst which is that I am able to drive home for Christmas!

Have a good Christmas all, and may all your delays be little ones!  Wink
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 23, 2014, 18:53:01 »

I refer you to post #494 and hope the many reported road delays don't affect you.  Of course, in reality, reports today of...

A multi-vehicle accident closed two lanes between junction 5 near Otford in Kent and junction 6 near Oxted in Surrey has caused a two lane closure, while a broken-down lorry forced one lane to be closed at the M25^s junction 12 south of Heathrow airport.

In North Yorkshire, the A64 was closed in both directions between the B1249 and the B1248 due to an accident at West Knapton, with drivers advised to take alternate routes.

Those planning a break across the Channel via Kent were delayed by heavy traffic near Folkestone,

...actually affected only a small percentage of those people trying to travel by car, as do the majority of the train incidents listed.  Probably not the 'travel hell' and 'nightmare' for everyone the article the quote above came from tries to portray:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/23/travel-hell-for-brits-looking-to-get-away-for-christmas-4997518/

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 23, 2014, 18:58:11 »

I refer you to post #494 and hope the many reported road delays don't affect you.  Of course, in reality, reports today of...

A multi-vehicle accident closed two lanes between junction 5 near Otford in Kent and junction 6 near Oxted in Surrey has caused a two lane closure, while a broken-down lorry forced one lane to be closed at the M25^s junction 12 south of Heathrow airport.

In North Yorkshire, the A64 was closed in both directions between the B1249 and the B1248 due to an accident at West Knapton, with drivers advised to take alternate routes.

Those planning a break across the Channel via Kent were delayed by heavy traffic near Folkestone,

...actually affected only a small percentage of those people trying to travel by car, as do the majority of the train incidents listed.  Probably not the 'travel hell' and 'nightmare' for everyone the article the quote above came from tries to portray:

http://metro.co.uk/2014/12/23/travel-hell-for-brits-looking-to-get-away-for-christmas-4997518/

If your point is that there are sometimes problems on other forms of transport then it is well made, it doesn't however mitigate against the ongoing poor performance of the railways (NR» (Network Rail - home page)/FGW (First Great Western)) on the Thames Valley and other lines over the last few months which as you may have noticed is the theme of this thread.....I am however grateful for your good wishes  Smiley
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 23, 2014, 19:42:02 »

Some of us are working over Christmas to build a better railway ...................

Which can do best when no trains are running a whole 52 hours (and more in some places) to take things to bits and put new stuff in

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 23, 2014, 19:56:07 »

Which can do best when no trains are running a whole 52 hours (and more in some places)

Let's hope the 'more' isn't an unplanned more due to overruns in too many places this year.

ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 23, 2014, 20:07:36 »

If your point is that there are sometimes problems on other forms of transport then it is well made, it doesn't however mitigate against the ongoing poor performance of the railways (NR» (Network Rail - home page)/FGW (First Great Western)) on the Thames Valley and other lines over the last few months which as you may have noticed is the theme of this thread.....I am however grateful for your good wishes  Smiley

Whether it is unavoidable or not I do not know but this does seem to be normal though whenever major improvements are carried out to a live railway that is running at near full capacity.  Remember the WCML (West Coast Main Line) work in the days of Railtrack?
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 23, 2014, 20:27:44 »

Which can do best when no trains are running a whole 52 hours (and more in some places)

Let's hope the 'more' isn't an unplanned more due to overruns in too many places this year.
Well on FGW (First Great Western) land it you won't be able to blame me ...................... I'm playing with a different part of the train set  Grin

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
BerkshireBugsy

Berkshire Bugsy Jr

View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 23, 2014, 20:45:33 »

Thankfully, for me at least, I've only had to travel from Thatcham to London twice this December. In the October - November months when I was commuting daily I gave up telling her indoors what tine I expected to be home because until I walked through the door I couldn't rely on anything outside of my control

Here is hoping that the new year will bring a new start

To all of you helping to build a better railway - I thank you for your hard work
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 23, 2014, 22:09:31 »

I received a 7th void day letter from FGW (First Great Western) today. It relates to 8th December I believe.
I welcome FGW's speed in recognising their 3rd world service that week, and for them getting the notification out pre-Christmas.
ellendune
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 23, 2014, 22:13:30 »

I welcome FGW (First Great Western)'s speed in recognising their 3rd world service that week, and for them getting the notification out pre-Christmas.

What is 3rd world service? I remember a friend once recalling his travels in India. One day he expressed surprise that the train he was about to catch (the one train each day) was on time rather than a few hours late.  He was corrected however "No this is yesterday's train". 
NickB

View Profile
« Reply #508 on: December 23, 2014, 22:28:07 »

So pretty similar to the Thames valley through that week.
John R

View Profile
« Reply #509 on: December 23, 2014, 22:32:14 »

I've just received ^140 back on this year's season due to the 7 void days. A real bonus, as only 1 of those days particularly inconvenienced me, but then I recognise that many others would have been much more severely impacted.  (And if you're wondering what the inconvenience was, I had to share a table for 2 in first class with someone for the last 15 minutes of my morning journey into Swindon due to overcrowding. ) Grin
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: