Train GraphicClick on the map to explore geographics

I need help
FAQ
Emergency
About .
Travel & transport from BBC stories as at 17:55 28 Mar 2024
- How do I renew my UK passport and what is the 10-year rule?
- Passengers pleaded with knifeman during attack
* Family anger at sentence on fatal crash driver, 19
- Easter travel warning as millions set to hit roads
Read about the forum [here].
Register [here] - it's free.
What do I gain from registering? [here]
 02/06/24 - Summer Timetable starts
17/08/24 - Bus to Imber
27/09/25 - 200 years of passenger trains

On this day
28th Mar (1988)
Formal end to carrying coffins by BR (link)

Train RunningCancelled
16:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:54 Cardiff Central to London Paddington
17:57 London Paddington to Worcester Foregate Street
18:04 Bristol Temple Meads to Filton Abbey Wood
18:04 Bedwyn to Newbury
18:08 London Paddington to Frome
18:26 Newbury to Bedwyn
18:37 Westbury to Swindon
18:51 Filton Abbey Wood to Bristol Temple Meads
18:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
19:24 Newbury to Bedwyn
19:33 London Paddington to Worcester Shrub Hill
19:55 Bedwyn to Newbury
20:13 Swindon to Westbury
20:16 Frome to Westbury
20:49 Newbury to Bedwyn
20:56 Worcester Foregate Street to London Paddington
21:16 Bedwyn to Newbury
Short Run
14:49 Plymouth to Cardiff Central
15:10 Gloucester to Weymouth
15:15 Plymouth to London Paddington
15:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
15:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
15:42 Exeter St Davids to London Paddington
16:19 Carmarthen to London Paddington
16:23 Portsmouth Harbour to Cardiff Central
16:35 London Paddington to Plymouth
16:50 Plymouth to London Paddington
17:03 London Paddington to Penzance
17:30 London Paddington to Taunton
17:30 Warminster to Bristol Temple Meads
17:36 Swindon to Westbury
Delayed
12:15 Penzance to London Paddington
13:59 Cardiff Central to Penzance
14:15 Penzance to London Paddington
14:30 Cardiff Central to Portsmouth Harbour
14:36 London Paddington to Paignton
15:03 London Paddington to Penzance
16:03 London Paddington to Penzance
Additional 17:17 Exeter St Davids to Penzance
PollsOpen and recent polls
Closed 2024-03-25 Easter Escape - to where?
Abbreviation pageAcronymns and abbreviations
Stn ComparatorStation Comparator
Rail newsNews Now - live rail news feed
Site Style 1 2 3 4
Next departures • Bristol Temple MeadsBath SpaChippenhamSwindonDidcot ParkwayReadingLondon PaddingtonMelksham
Exeter St DavidsTauntonWestburyTrowbridgeBristol ParkwayCardiff CentralOxfordCheltenham SpaBirmingham New Street
March 28, 2024, 17:58:36 *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Forgotten your username or password? - get a reminder
Most recently liked subjects
[133] West Wiltshire Bus Changes April 2024
[132] would you like your own LIVE train station departure board?
[53] Return of the BRUTE?
[44] If not HS2 to Manchester, how will traffic be carried?
[41] Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption el...
[32] Reversing Beeching - bring heritage and freight lines into the...

News: the Great Western Coffee Shop ... keeping you up to date with travel around the South West

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 303
  Print  
Author Topic: Infrastructure problems in Thames Valley causing disruption elsewhere - ongoing, since Oct 2014  (Read 1243775 times)
a-driver

View Profile
« Reply #570 on: December 28, 2014, 22:00:28 »

I believe there's a points failure at Southall (loss of detection) which affects the main lines.  Not helped by the closure of the relief lines for engineering works
autotank
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #571 on: December 28, 2014, 22:30:36 »

I was held up by this - the 2027 RDG(resolve)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) was 25 late in the end. On the plus side I got to travel some very rare track at Southall where we passed through the old Brentford branch platform and then corssed right over to the up relief!
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #572 on: December 29, 2014, 05:25:20 »

As discussed, weekend working relies in a lot of rest-day volunteers. Staff voted with their feet to show that they *do* want time off over Christmas, hence the staff shortages.

Happens across the industry, no inquiry needed
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 06:07:39 by ChrisB » Logged
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #573 on: December 29, 2014, 05:42:28 »

Yes, more staff do want time off over Christmas - no surprises there (and for the record that doesn't impact on my belief you could easily get enough volunteers for a skeleton Boxing Day if you paid a descent amount!).  The rostering should be robust enough to deal with that as there are only a certain number of drivers (or TM(resolve)'s) allowed to be off on a given day.  For example, just this week it looks like over 20 days of holiday requests have been declined at Oxford drivers depot alone!

But a huge backlog of route and traction knowledge amongst established staff, and a large number of vacancies still to be filled is causing even more problems than it would normally do.  The fault for that lies squarely at FGW (First Great Western)'s door.

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
eightf48544
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #574 on: December 29, 2014, 09:23:59 »

I was held up by this - the 2027 RDG(resolve)-PAD» (Paddington (London) - next trains) was 25 late in the end. On the plus side I got to travel some very rare track at Southall where we passed through the old Brentford branch platform and then corssed right over to the up relief!

Have you highlighted the lines in your track plan booklet?

I've not done it in the Up direction so i'm jealous, but have done it in the Down on a service train.

i've also done it a couple of times on railtours to the Brentford branch.

TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 29, 2014, 09:28:34 »

Yes, more staff do want time off over Christmas - no surprises there (and for the record that doesn't impact on my belief you could easily get enough volunteers for a skeleton Boxing Day if you paid a descent amount!).  The rostering should be robust enough to deal with that as there are only a certain number of drivers (or TM(resolve)'s) allowed to be off on a given day.  For example, just this week it looks like over 20 days of holiday requests have been declined at Oxford drivers depot alone!

But a huge backlog of route and traction knowledge amongst established staff, and a large number of vacancies still to be filled is causing even more problems than it would normally do.  The fault for that lies squarely at FGW (First Great Western)'s door.

Sounds to me like 6 of one and half dozen of the other - to an extent the tail is wagging the dog, in most situations the starting point is "we need to have enough staff to maintain the service" before any A/L is considered, but if there are not enough staff with the necessary skills to start with without relying on people giving up rest days then that becomes tricky.......agreed though, money talks, but again it comes down to having the right people available, not just lots of bodies....both sides probably need to consider their positions to find a solution....suspect staff will cling onto their "right" to have Xmas day/Boxing day off as of right however that's not sustainable in the longer term if the politicians/public demand a Boxing Day service (which they already are) and Xmas engineering possessions become less of an issue........sometime around 2100 then?  Cheesy
Electric train
Transport Scholar

The future is 25000 Volts AC 750V DC has its place

View Profile
« Reply #576 on: December 29, 2014, 14:38:37 »

Sounds to me like 6 of one and half dozen of the other - to an extent the tail is wagging the dog, in most situations the starting point is "we need to have enough staff to maintain the service" before any A/L is considered, but if there are not enough staff with the necessary skills to start with without relying on people giving up rest days then that becomes tricky.......agreed though, money talks, but again it comes down to having the right people available, not just lots of bodies....both sides probably need to consider their positions to find a solution....suspect staff will cling onto their "right" to have Xmas day/Boxing day off as of right however that's not sustainable in the longer term if the politicians/public demand a Boxing Day service (which they already are) and Xmas engineering possessions become less of an issue........sometime around 2100 then?  Cheesy

In that case I demand that Parliament sits on Boxing Day and all other business are open as normal, including schools, Banks et all

Starship just experienced what we call a rapid unscheduled disassembly, or a RUD, during ascent,”
IndustryInsider
Data Manager

View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 29, 2014, 15:00:25 »

In that case I demand that Parliament sits on Boxing Day and all other business are open as normal, including schools, Banks et all

And presumably all boxing rings? Wink

To view my GWML (Great Western Main Line) Electrification cab video 'before and after' video comparison, as well as other videos of the new layout at Reading and 'before and after' comparisons of the Cotswold Line Redoubling scheme, see: http://www.dailymotion.com/user/IndustryInsider/
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 29, 2014, 15:18:42 »

.....or you'll take your football home and then no-one will be able to play?

Sorry but you're not remotely comparing apples with apples......but if you think its a valid argument the business of Government goes on 24/7/365....hospitals, defence, emergency services etc........Banks provide a service online and via ATM(resolve) etc......they make adequate provision to cope with the nature of their customers demand........the railways, with a few exceptions, provide no service in the face of high demand......I am sure Nurses, soldiers, paramedics would all like 2 guaranteed, untouchable days off over Xmas but like the majority of us who have chosen to work in service organisations we realise that its not always possible so we get on with it as best we can. My last word on this subject anyway.
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #579 on: December 29, 2014, 15:25:34 »

Agreed - just the definition of "reasonable" relating to payroll uplift that has to be agreed.

Maybe the same as the majority of other staff that have to work over that day,. eh? :-)
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 29, 2014, 18:48:52 »

Read an interesting article in the paper tonight suggesting that in order to avoid this chaos a week long "shutdown" in August for engineering might be better than the 52 hour rush over Christmas - the idea being that there is more daylight to use, lots of people on holiday so less impact on commuters, and fewer "occasional" travellers going home/travelling long distance for a major event such as Christmas...........any thoughts on this?
ChrisB
Transport Scholar

View Profile Email
« Reply #581 on: December 29, 2014, 18:56:57 »

It would certainly need advertising at/before January each year.

Interesting thought, though. Everyone would expect a week free on their season ticket....
johoare

View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 29, 2014, 19:02:15 »

It is an interesting idea as long as it was advertised a long time in advance... It think it would still affect commuters more though as I bet more take time off over Christmas than on a random week in August since the "summer holidays" are longer than the Christmas holidays.. I think it might be a no go though for longer distance travellers..

There are certain places where it's easy to get alternative trains/buses but some where it's not...

From Maidenhead e.g. there is a bus that goes to Heathrow (to connect with the tube if it's running), plus High Wycombe and Bracknell on other train lines are 10 miles away (in opposite directions) though the buses to get to Bracknell in particular are rather non existent.. 

It would need to be carefully thought out obviously but it's not impossible and if it removed the chaos of Saturday well why not at least work out if it's feasible..
TaplowGreen
Transport Scholar

View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 29, 2014, 19:15:34 »

It is an interesting idea as long as it was advertised a long time in advance... It think it would still affect commuters more though as I bet more take time off over Christmas than on a random week in August since the "summer holidays" are longer than the Christmas holidays.. I think it might be a no go though for longer distance travellers..

There are certain places where it's easy to get alternative trains/buses but some where it's not...

From Maidenhead e.g. there is a bus that goes to Heathrow (to connect with the tube if it's running), plus High Wycombe and Bracknell on other train lines are 10 miles away (in opposite directions) though the buses to get to Bracknell in particular are rather non existent.. 

It would need to be carefully thought out obviously but it's not impossible and if it removed the chaos of Saturday well why not at least work out if it's feasible..

(Very) simplistically for the Thames Valley - commuters via Reading use the Waterloo line as can those from Slough via Windsor/Datchet (slow but doable) - Tubes run from Chesham, Uxbridge, Heathrow into town and as you say there are various buses from larger commuter centres such as Maidenhead which could be beefed up giving quite a few options- loads of buses doing nothing in August whilst the schools are off..........not sure about the longer distance services.......use Reading as a terminus for services to the Westcountry/Wales with a reduced service? (if the work is taking place between Reading/Paddington? .........very much back of a fag packet stuff but I'm sure someone with more expertise than me can comment on practicalities?
John R

View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 29, 2014, 20:15:53 »

Isn't this what Network Rail wanted to do around Watford this year? And everyone got up in arms and said it wasn't right so they changed it to a much longer series of weekend possessions.
Do you have something you would like to add to this thread, or would you like to raise a new question at the Coffee Shop? Please [register] (it is free) if you have not done so before, or login (at the top of this page) if you already have an account - we would love to read what you have to say!

You can find out more about how this forum works [here] - that will link you to a copy of the forum agreement that you can read before you join, and tell you very much more about how we operate. We are an independent forum, provided and run by customers of Great Western Railway, for customers of Great Western Railway and we welcome railway professionals as members too, in either a personal or official capacity. Views expressed in posts are not necessarily the views of the operators of the forum.

As well as posting messages onto existing threads, and starting new subjects, members can communicate with each other through personal messages if they wish. And once members have made a certain number of posts, they will automatically be admitted to the "frequent posters club", where subjects not-for-public-domain are discussed; anything from the occasional rant to meetups we may be having ...

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 303
  Print  

Jump to: